Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite an impressive half of footy from the Lions. I was thinking before the game to not set expectations too high for this season, that we may struggle to cover the loss of a few big guns and those sitting out. However the trademark Lion's toughness and skill were on show again and once the likes of Cathy Svarc and Bella Dawes put their foot down the results quickly started to show on the scoreboard.

no Dakota but glaring issue is lack of contested marking in the forward line I think Wardlaw will be a massive loss

no Dakota but glaring issue is lack of contested marking in the forward line I think Wardlaw will be a massive loss

Before Wardlaw really developed they never relied too much on height up forward. Taylor Smith was one who took a big step up last season and I can see her doing some damage in the forward line.

Giddey, Mitch and Bec's pitch: Inside Hawks' 20-month Lion hunt

Their pitch to Bates revolved around her being the League's most underrated star, attempting to convince the 26-year-old she could become a household name in the state's football-centric spotlight should she make the move to Victoria.
Yet again, the recruiting advantage Victorian teams hold that everyone acknowledges but no-one thinks is worth addressing. These are players raised and developed in Queensland but we can't hold them because Victoria provides a spotlight they can't resist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was not an enjoyable read. Yes, will be a spicy matchup when we play the Hawks.

I would go further and say it was arrogant and short sighted. Written for Victorian club supporters audiences but without the realisation that people outside can read it. Also, they hardly have a moral high ground now when other clubs start trying to lure their players.

Got a pretty cushy draw though last season as I recall.
Could be as the draw is still a huge work in progress.
I have no idea of the AFLW future thoughts on fixture.
I don't think they have much of an idea either.
Just let it unfold for another few years and it may settle on something more suitable.

Our forward line will be the main. Issue from the practice matches we had plenty of inside 50s but struggled without a good focus. Hopefully Dakota can step up

And Mullins seems to have been seen as showing the goods during training.

Despite our player losses, I'm quietly confident we'll do well this season.

Speaking of player losses, why is Zimmi out of the team?
She is inactive this year,

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back