Lions Drafting Discussion 2010 (no trade talk) #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread #1

400_F_447289_cbcQNA6l4j1gdvj1B8natCdwFgUm5s.jpg

Re: Lions Drafting Discussion 2010 (no trade talk)

Yeah, it seems nearly too good to be true. Even if Smith isn't there, you could maybe look at an Andreoli or a Conca maybe, and Mitchell or Karnezis for Tape, it's still a pretty dam good looking pick up. Will be interesting to see if someone picks a smokey that not maybe know, like how we picked Redden with 25 in 08, and we were all like 'who the heck is that !?' I remember looking at the draft tracker and that didn't even have a write up on him.

I said it a few weeks ago, but this is the most excited i've been for a draft since i've been following the sport.

Yeah, it seems nearly too good to be true. Even if Smith isn't there, you could maybe look at an Andreoli or a Conca maybe, and Mitchell or Karnezis for Tape, it's still a pretty dam good looking pick up. Will be interesting to see if someone picks a smokey that not maybe know, like how we picked Redden with 25 in 08, and we were all like 'who the heck is that !?' I remember looking at the draft tracker and that didn't even have a write up on him.

I said it a few weeks ago, but this is the most excited i've been for a draft since i've been following the sport.

Yeah, 2006 was very exciting at the time because we had such a high pick in the "Superdraft" and also because that draft was loaded with quality Queensland prospects. Was absolutely over the moon to get Leuenberger and Proud.

This draft is even more exciting though, especially relative to last year where we didn't even have a pick until the late 20s

There's 7 compo picks all up this year.
1. Gold Coast - Ablett
2. Geelong - Ablett
3. Brisbane - Rischitelli
4. Richmond - Bock
5. North Melbourne - Brown
6. Brisbane - Harbrow
7. Gold Coast - Brennan

As said, Gold Coast surely won't use their 2 compo picks, as they traded away their picks 15 & 27 respectively so they can use these picks in future.

We'll probably bank the Harbrow pick, if not the Rischitelli pick as well.

Without knowing what other clubs will do, between 1 and 4 compo picks will be used.

Best case scenario (with Rischitelli pick): 5, 25, 27, 28, 32
Worst case scenario: 5, 25, 27, 31, 35

Whatever the case, by using Rischitelli's pick, we ensure we have picks 25 and 27, which is a good thing if we're worried about other clubs' compo picks pushing our remaining picks down.

Cheers TBD for uploading those videos of Isaac Smith.

After seeing that footage I have to say that I am really, really impressed. I really hope he is a Lion in less than a months time.

Edit: I also like the look of the guy Axel posted footage of. Either of these players would be exactly what we are looking for. Couple their inclusion with the rise of Bartlett and we start to have some players that can really hurt.

With Bartlett, I think the odds are stacked heavily against him after 2 recos...unfortunately another Pat Garner (hope im wrong).He looked so composed and self assured in his U/18 vids and we were right to take the risk > but for a player that looked devastating when taking on players and twisting them here and there, he's really got no hope of doing that after wrecking the same knee twice.I know that Licuria did 2 knees and played ok, but his attributes are vastly different to those of Bartlett.Maybe a McRae role in the forward line???

With Bartlett, I think the odds are stacked heavily against him after 2 recos...unfortunately another Pat Garner (hope im wrong).He looked so composed and self assured in his U/18 vids and we were right to take the risk > but for a player that looked devastating when taking on players and twisting them here and there, he's really got no hope of doing that after wrecking the same knee twice.I know that Licuria did 2 knees and played ok, but his attributes are vastly different to those of Bartlett.Maybe a McRae role in the forward line???

Pretty sure Bartlett's second knee injury was the other leg.

Fletcher was wrong in his recent update.

If he still manages to rediscover his straight line speed he could still be a player. Don't write him off too soon.

Yup, too early, especially with young players. Sometimes their bodies just aren't developed enough to handle the work load needed. If he does everything right, there is no reason he can't get past it.

I think Heppell is going to be perfect for us. He can learn of Drummond off Half back to start his career and hopefully move into the Midfield in his second season...

May inderstanding is that he played HB at teh start of the year due to a lack of fitness as he missed alot of the pre-season. By the end of the season he was up and running as a midfielder...so there is no reason why he won't feature in the middle next season

May inderstanding is that he played HB at teh start of the year due to a lack of fitness as he missed alot of the pre-season. By the end of the season he was up and running as a midfielder...so there is no reason why he won't feature in the middle next season

I am happy for him to be in the midfield next season. We will just see what happens we will have a fair few good young mids all trying to get a spot in the middle next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am happy for him to be in the midfield next season. We will just see what happens we will have a fair few good young mids all trying to get a spot in the middle next year.

Apparently there is a latent osteo issue with Heppell identified at draft combine which is concerning many clubs.

I think Polec would be the best option for us actually he is capable inside and outside, very damaging, very good disposal and hurt factor and fast and offensively minded, he is what we lack in the middle imo. Polec and Green would add to young gun mids to our side and would add a lot of pace to the side and flair.

I think Polec would be the best option for us actually he is capable inside and outside, very damaging, very good disposal and hurt factor and fast and offensively minded, he is what we lack in the middle imo. Polec and Green would add to young gun mids to our side and would add a lot of pace to the side and flair.
I agree. Heppell will be a great player but I dont think he's what we need. We need speed, so I would rather take Polec over Heppell if Gaff is taken at 4.
However, if Heppell is taken by the Eagles, Im not so sure. Gaff is a great all-round player, but I really think we need speed more than anything else. That and a good kick, which Polec also supplies.

We need speed

I disagree. Speed is a nice to have, not a necessity, particularly with pick 5. If we take Polec, it won't be because he is quicker. It will be because he is seen, overall, to be the best option.
Give me a skilful player who finds the ball, first and foremost. If he happens to be quick, all the better. I mean, Montagna is quick and a gun, but I'd take Goddard 8 days a week. No knock on Montagna - just that pace should not be the decisive factor.

Having said that, I am leaning towards Polec in terms of personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back