Lions Logo Battle Hits Court

Remove this Banner Ad

People are kidding themselves if they think the Bears needed Fitzroy.

Brisbane were never going to fail. They key blocks for their success were already in place (hindsight is a wonderful thing)

The money was all Brisbane needed.

In fact they didn't even really need that. The AFL would have simply found some other justification for giving them the cash.

I'm not sure anybody said they needed them, rather that they would not of been so successful without them. That was my take on it anyway.

I'm not sure anybody said they needed them, rather that they would not of been so successful without them. That was my take on it anyway.

Yeah, I agree.

Would not have won 3 flags without Chris Johnson, Mal Michael (via the Jarrod Molloy trade), Tim Notting (via concession pick from Matthew Primus to Port) and a certain CHF we got from a father/son pick.

People are kidding themselves if they think the Bears needed Fitzroy.

Brisbane were never going to fail. They key blocks for their success were already in place (hindsight is a wonderful thing)

The money was all Brisbane needed.

In fact they didn't even really need that. The AFL would have simply found some other justification for giving them the cash.

Yup.

The Bears had a messy start because the AFL screwed them something shocking on foundation, not through some deep seated inadequacy that good noble Fitzroy somehow magically solved.

The rise of the Lions is all about the AFL belatedly getting the bleeding obvious message that laughing stock interstate clubs were not such a good thing for the game. And taking strong action to repair the damage.

North Fitzroy Kangaroos (with a lion on the left breast of the jumper)

The logo at the time was the north melbourne shield design with a red (I remember it being red, not maroon) kangaroo below royal blue stripes on a white background. The clubs name was to be "Fitzroy-North Melbourne Kangaroos Football Club"

I don't ever recall seeing the propsed jumper.

The logo at the time was the north melbourne shield design with a red (I remember it being red, not maroon) kangaroo below royal blue stripes on a white background. The clubs name was to be "Fitzroy-North Melbourne Kangaroos Football Club"

I don't ever recall seeing the propsed jumper.

There were 3 proposed names :
  • Fitzroy-North Melbourne Kangaroos F.C which North rejected as they wanted their name 1st
  • North Melbourne - Fitzroy Kangaroos F.C which Fitzroy rejected which the roys rejected as they felt it was uneven to have North Melbourne 1st aswell as the mascot
  • And finally North-Fitzroy Kangaroos which both parties agreed on as long as a small lion was located on the left breast
There were jumpers roughly sketched up but I dont remember anything being realeased.

LOL. You obviously have NO IDEA what the relocation entailed.

This isn't the time and the place but I can guarantee you we would have borne no resemblence to the club we are now.

Did it entail having you're board replaced by... who? Your board in boardshorts?

You're right, it's not the time or place. You just couldn't resist slipping it in though, could you?;)

If Fitzroy win, the jumper stays the same and all they have done is weaken a club they are supposed to be supporting.

It makes no sense to me.

That is because you blindly hate all things Fitzroy and have no intention of opening your eyes to anything different.

(BTW did you see what the outcome was from the Fitzroy bequest State Trustees battle - remember that thread you hijacked with anti-Fitzroy hysterics http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652811&highlight=bequest - I'll give you a hint who won http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/home.html ).

If Fitzroy win, the logo will have to change. Fitzroy got very little out of the merger, but why for one second should they not defend the little that they got?

If the logo must change, Brisbane may voluntarily reverse its jumper change / merchandise branding decisions at the end of this season or in the near future in order to keep all of its branding consistent.

In any case, a win by Fitzroy in the court would also give both Brisbane-based and Melbourne-based Lions members who hate the new jumper a great base to help get rid of the jumper through member resolutions at the 2010 AGM.

And how is Brisbane's Admin going?
If Fitzroy win, the jumper stays the same and all they have done is weaken a club they are supposed to be supporting.

All they have done throughout this whole fiasco is weaken the Club they are meant to be running!

Legals aside - why would they want to change the logo anyway?

The old logo is a mile better than the new one!

I totally agree... but that said, probably the best club with regards to sponsorship, merchandising, marketing etc, West Coast change their jumpers and shade of blue very often so it does show that a change equals money.

There were 3 proposed names :
  • Fitzroy-North Melbourne Kangaroos F.C which North rejected as they wanted their name 1st
  • North Melbourne - Fitzroy Kangaroos F.C which Fitzroy rejected which the roys rejected as they felt it was uneven to have North Melbourne 1st aswell as the mascot
  • And finally North-Fitzroy Kangaroos which both parties agreed on as long as a small lion was located on the left breast
There were jumpers roughly sketched up but I dont remember anything being realeased.

Cheers for that :)

Do you know why the kangaroo was red and not maroon? As far as I am aware, fitzroy's 'official' colours were Maroon and Blue.

I did more than "think" before I posted. I joined up BigFooty to do so. My comments might be unrealistic and useless, as you so eloquently put it, but at least they are suggestions. You never get anywhere without at least posing them in the first place. All Fitzroy ever seem to do is whine about the problem, never come up with any solutions. If all my suggestions seem unacceptable to you, then perhaps my last one is not. Ask Brisbane to rescind the merger agreement, get all of the “stuff” back, and plough it all into the VAFA entity. It seems to me that Fitzroy cannot grasp the concept of big business, and big business decisions, like it couldn’t back in the 1980s and 1990s, so channeling their efforts, and their supporters into a smaller, more grassroots club might be the best outcome.

I look forward to you deriding my latest comments in due course.

Read my comments again. I said "Victoria", not Melbourne. We DO play 6 times in Victoria.

There you go again. We, we , we. Fitzroy was an insolvent mess in 1996. You should count yourself fortunate that you are still represented at all. The AFL would have been well within their rights to wind you up, which would have been tragic. You cannot complain that you didn't join with North, because what bargaining power did you really have ? Very, very little. I suggest that the fact that there is a team called The Lions, a logo that is predominantly the same, the club song and the club colours is fair compensation for a partner that brought very little to the table.

Fitzroy have a simple solution - change the logo back to one that incorporates the original Fitzroy Lion - can't get much more simple than that.

You really thought through Brisbane rescinding the merger agreement didn't you - would Brisbane also have to pay back the benefits they gained making the Club completely insolvent (like close to $6m plus interest; and how about putting a value on 3 premierships).

By the way, the Merger Agreement doesn't say 6 Victorian games - it says a minimum of 6 games at the MCG, Waverley or Princess Park - none of those are outside of Melbourne. (And by the way from the outer eastern Melbourne suburbs it takes the same time to drive to Geelong as a flight takes to travel from Melbourne to Brisbane - i.e. around 2 hours).

I suggest you are doing little for the harmony of the Brisbane Lions - most Brisbane based and Melbourne based members and supporters fully embrace the Club, its Fitzroy and Bears heritage, and what it has achieved. That doesn't mean we should roll over on command.

Whilst i have sympathy for the Roy boys, i cant see them wining this court battle. IMO, the court will find the merger term for the logo to be used "in perpetuity" to be a restraint on trade and therefore not a binding part of the contract. Its impossible to tell what effect a symbol will have on a trading entity for the rest of time.

It was a voluntary restraint of trade entered into by Brisbane (who wrote the merger agreement) in order to gain substantial benefits. That in my opinion is absolutely legally binding.

One thing I have never heard you say though, and this goes for just about every other Fitzroy supporter out there, is that Fitzroy was even partially at fault in their own downfall.

Certainly Fitzroy, like every amateur VFL club struggling to turn professional made mistakes, mainly overspending in the late 70's. Unlike many of the other clubs, it lacked a geographic area from which to draw a large supporter base. Coupled with a lack of success in the 60's and 70's, its supporter base was smaller than many of the other Victorian clubs.

It's always everyone elses fault. "The AFL made us do this"....."We wanted to merge with North".

Whether you acknowledge it or not, Fitzroy was not helped by the AFL, as other Melbourne based clubs, who have since received millions of dollars of funding from the AFL (that doesn't have to be paid back) through the competitive balance fund have since been helped. Indeed in the wake of Port Adelaide's intended entry i 1997 there was a concerted effort from about 1993 by the AFL to freeze out an AFL club, so that the competition could remain at sixteen teams - a policy that has since been admitted to by Graeme Samuel. Fitzroy as the smallest of the Victorian clubs was seen as expendable.

The way I see it, Fitzroy dug their own grave. You had about 8000 members,

Yes. Very small. And given the amount of success and the poaching of players, such as Roos, Armstrong, Brodeick, Lynch, Osborne and co. it was very difficult to break a cycle of poor onfirld preformances --> leading to less revenue --> leading to further poor on-field performances. That was why, from 1978 onwards Fitzroy considered a number of relocations and mergers (which for various reasons - usually outside Fitzroy's control) fell through. I can provide details of all of these and why they fell through if you like.

you didn't have a home ground,

Yes, we did, Like many clubs we shared home grounds. Unfortunately usually the other tenant club was well established. Fitzroy was forced to move from the Brunswick Street Oval in 1966 because of the Cricket Club and the Council's refusal to upgrade the change room (despite repeated requests from the football club. Contrast that to the Carlton's council attitude to putting money into to developing Princes Park. In 1984, Fitzroy was forced by the VFL to move from the Junction Oval, where it had established itself, because the ground did not have enough seats. From then on the club was nomadic as it struggled to find an equitable ground sharing arrangement, where the co-tenant already owned the ground, or had established itself at the ground for decades.

you didn't have any social facilities worth a damn.

I didn't think the Fitzroy Club Hotel was that bad as a social venue. It operated at a profit and was a good social club arrangement just up from the Brunswick Street Oval and not that far from Princes Park.

God, even your current "home" is in Mordialloc. Hardly the heartland of Fitzroy is it.

No, our current home is the Brunswick Street Oval. No home games are played out at Mordialloc.

Fitzroy always seems to be the victim. Well sorry, I've had about enough of the poor cousin routine. The predicament you were in didn't leave you with many bargaining chips in my opinion. You have got the "Lions", you have got the colours, you have got 6 games in Victoria each year.

And the Bears got the home ground (and the 11-12 home games per year), the vast majority of the players, the coach, the majority of the Board who control the club, the social club, the maroon and gold in the Bears jumper. It was supposed to be a merger wasn’t it? Shouldn’t Fitzroy, the other ‘merger partner’, receive something? Clearly the Fitzroy Football Club as a merger partner is unhappy that the merger agreement had been broken and their identity, as a result diluted even more

Brisbane even changed their colours to make a Fitzroy style jumper for the Victorian games.

They added blue to the existing Bears maroon and gold, added "the Fitzroy lion logo" which per the terms of the merger agreement became the official logo of the club "in perpetuity". Then in 2008, they changed the maroon to red for six Victorian games only.

It's never enough though is it. "We want our Lion".

Fitzroy are not asking for more. Fitzroy are asking that the terms of the existing merger agreement be kept. They’re not even opposed to Brisbane re-designing their logo. All they are asking for is that in that ,ogo, Brisbane retain the Fitzroy lion logo.

They aren't changing the logo and name to a horse are they. It's still a Lion. Whether it is a good Lion is debatable and personal choice. It is still a Lion.

So's this,

cwuyv0w15ruuk34j9qnfuoif9.gif

but it isn't "the Fitzroy lion", as stipulated in the merger agreement.

And before you throw the "in perpituity" line at me (which I have had a gutful of),

Of course you have. The legal is now inconvenient isn’t it? Let’s not forget here that the Brisbane bears/ Lions imposed that restriction on themselves. They wrote the agreement and with the connivance of the AFL commission and 14 of the 16 clubs forced Fitzroy to sign it.

why don't the smart heads at Fitzroy use it as leverage. Why not take that one on the chin and ask for 2 more games in Melbourne ?

Oh please. Ask who? The AFL? That’s very unlikely to happen. The AFL sets the draw and they struggle to fit six games in Victoria into the schedule.

Why not ask the Lions to stump up for a "home" actually in Fitzroy that the players attend after games ? ?

They’ve been asked. No interest. Brisbane is primarily looking after its Queensland supporter base.

Use a few brains. Seems to me it was the same back in 1996. Let's just whine and sook and everyone will feel sorry for us. Look at Hawthorn. They were on their knees, but they had a few plans and went with them to the AFL and eventually got back on their feet.

Hawthorn were indeed fortunate that they had a solid supporter base, courtesy of a few years of success and being based in an area that was the population centre of Melbourne That supporter base rallied around them when they looked set to merge. They were also well compensated for moving from VFL Park.

Footscray changed to the Western Bulldogs (to the chagrin of many) in an attempt to get things back on track and they look like they finally have.

After being helped by several million dollars of funds from the AFL via the Competitive Balance Fund, they sure have.

Unfortunately it's just easier to play the victim.

I could go through all the attempts Fitzroy made to survive in their own right in the AFL competition and also their attempts to seek a preferred merger with a Melbourne based club that was relatively equal. For a variety of reasons, most of which were out of the control of the club, they weren’t able to affect either.

I'm a Melbourne based Brisbane supporter, but I realise it is the Brisbane Lions. It's about time lots of other did too, or just jump ship and follow the local Fitzroy team.

I thought it was the “Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Lions”.

I follow the team. I don't follow the board, and I don't barrack for a jumper. I watch my team of 22 players run out under the name of The Lions and that's what I support.

Players come and go. I barrack for a jumper. I follow the Lions because of its links to the Fitzroy Football Club…no more no less. That would be the same whether they were on top of the ladder or the bottom…it makes little difference to me. If I consider the links to Fitzroy have been diluted to an extent that following a club based in Queensland is not worth it….,.then I will cease my support and do exactly what you advise…follow the Fitzroy Football Club in the VAFA and channel my energies and finances into them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players come and go. I barrack for a jumper. I follow the Lions because of its links to the Fitzroy Football Club…no more no less. That would be the same whether they were on top of the ladder or the bottom…it makes little difference to me. If I consider the links to Fitzroy have been diluted to an extent that following a club based in Queensland is not worth it….,.then I will cease my support and do exactly what you advise…follow the Fitzroy Football Club in the VAFA and channel my energies and finances into them.

Magic post :thumbsu: Covers all the angles. Fingers crossed we get this sorted and can focus on the main aim - winning games of footy!

Cheers for that :)

Do you know why the kangaroo was red and not maroon? As far as I am aware, fitzroy's 'official' colours were Maroon and Blue.

Fitzroy changed from maroon to red with the introduction of color tv, but kept the song as "maroon & blue". The Brisbane lions chose to go with maroon as it was Fitzroys & Queensland's traditional color.

This whole thing is a slap in the face of those that chose to stick with the Brisbane Lions. I never understood how as a club they could decide to merge with us but accepted that some administrator told them to follow Brisbane because he decided to sell the club to them.

The whole merger was a hatchet job conspired by the AFL who gave us their "expert" advice to not agree to pay Nauru the full amount because we were not legally obliged to while at the same time working with Brisbane to get a deal in place. Add in some paranoia about some execs losing positions, which would have to occur with two teams merging and you have an A-Class derailment.

The problem is, it is not a business venture to supporters. I don't understand how so many people bought the con job and it has been a con job which has lived past it's use-by date and they now they wish to ditch the baggage. Hell, they even tried to snatch a small bequest to Fitzroy which shows how much they think of them. Their legal fees would have worth more than the bequest. They just want Fitzroy to die.

Supporters>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marketing Department. If the marketing department aren't taking into account the wishes of the supporter base, they are incompetent.

Must be confusing for a supporter of the Eagles, who are in themselves little more than a marketing excersize, but it is none the less a very important distinction.

The Eagles weren't set up as a marketing exercise. They were primarily set up because greedy clubs such as yours had sucked the guts out of the local league.
In the year before the Eagles formed 37 WAFL players were taken by VFL teams. Thats basically 2 starting teams out of a 8 team competition.
I'm tired and sick of listening to ignorant Vics moaning about the interstate teams wrecked their suburban footy and traditions, completely oblivious to the fact that VFL teams had basically bankrupted themselves and in the process wrecked every other major Suburban comp in the country.
The only way West Australians could watch quality football was to join the Vfl.
Believe me there are plenty of West Aussies who wish they had their old comp back instead of the second rate skeleton of a league we have now.

The Eagles weren't set up as a marketing exercise. They were primarily set up because greedy clubs such as yours had sucked the guts out of the local league.
In the year before the Eagles formed 37 WAFL players were taken by VFL teams. Thats basically 2 starting teams out of a 8 team competition.
I'm tired and sick of listening to ignorant Vics moaning about the interstate teams wrecked their suburban footy and traditions, completely oblivious to the fact that VFL teams had basically bankrupted themselves and in the process wrecked every other major Suburban comp in the country.
The only way West Australians could watch quality football was to join the Vfl.
Believe me there are plenty of West Aussies who wish they had their old comp back instead of the second rate skeleton of a league we have now.

If I could go back in time, I'd like it to be about 1983. Inter State footy was great, the WAFL and the SANFL were going great guns, hell even Fitzroy were a good side under Wallsy.

The damage done to these comps and grass roots footy has been horrendous, however the AFL tell us things have never been better.

I'm not sure what should have been done differently but I would have preferred more options other than the "strategic reasons" of the Brisbane / Fitzroy merger. Having managed to accept and embrace it, I am like most people disappointed with the direction of the club regarding the Fizroy aspect under the cyrrent administration and there petty attempts to justify there ill conceived plans.

I never understood how as a club they could decide to merge with us but accepted that some administrator told them to follow Brisbane because he decided to sell the club to them.

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to here.

The directors of Fitzroy were bound, and continue to be bound, by the decisions of the administrator, once he was appointed to recover Nauru's debt. It was the administrator that signed the merger agreement with Brisbane in place of the directors of the company.

The whole merger was a hatchet job conspired by the AFL who gave us their "expert" advice to not agree to pay Nauru the full amount because we were not legally obliged to while at the same time working with Brisbane to get a deal in place.

Yep. Had the administrator not been appointed, then the Fitzroy merger with North Melbourne, almost certainly would have proceeded. Fitzroy's shareholders had already approved and North didn't need to go to their members.

The problem is, it is not a business venture to supporters. I don't understand how so many people bought the con job

Many, including myself, wanted to support an AFL team that had a Fitzroy identity - colours, lion logo etc. And Brisbane have, up to this point, done a pretty good job in preserving the Fitzroy identity in the AFL. There's certainly no other AFL club that had enough of a Fitzroy identity that I would have supported in preference to the Lions.

and it has been a con job which has lived past it's use-by date and they now they wish to ditch the baggage. Hell, they even tried to snatch a small bequest to Fitzroy which shows how much they think of them. Their legal fees would have worth more than the bequest. They just want Fitzroy to die.

I'm not sure they want Fitzroy to die. Fitzroy won't die - not as long as the company exists and fields teams, as Fitzroy currently do. What the Lions don't want, or care about, is observing the terms of the merger agreement that have become inconvenient - despite the fact (as I have already said several times), they originally wrote the agreement.

The problem is, it is not a business venture to supporters. I don't understand how so many people bought the con job and it has been a con job which has lived past it's use-by date and they now they wish to ditch the baggage. Hell, they even tried to snatch a small bequest to Fitzroy which shows how much they think of them. Their legal fees would have worth more than the bequest. They just want Fitzroy to die.

I am disgusted with some of the recent actions of the club, but as for "trying to snatch a bequest"... that situation played out so differently to the way the media and Fitzroy portrayed it.

I was very satisfied with the explanation I received from the Lions in regard to this.

They didn't try to snatch anything. It was a ****up by the estates department if anything.

I'd suggest getting a better detail of the facts in the future, especially if you are using that as evidence to back an inflammatory statement such as "they want Fitzroy to die".

I also laugh at the suggestion that North Melbourne were going to be careful custodians of the Fitzroy legacy. Just like the Bears, there was pure self-interest at the heart of North Melbourne's proposal. Some of the stuff they wanted as part of the agreement was just ludicrous.

Did it entail having you're board replaced by... who? Your board in boardshorts?

You're right, it's not the time or place. You just couldn't resist slipping it in though, could you?;)

In what world is the board the key defining attribute of a member based club?

On topic. I must be missing something. It seems a fairly clear cut element of the merger agreement. Considering that it's not corporate entity I'm not sure how successful the club would be in arguing that it affects their ongoing ability to trade...

As another side issue, you can't help but wonder how exactly this will endear the club to Melbourne based supporters who are still a reasonable chunk of the membership. The attitude of the club tells exactly what they mean - $$$$, and that's about it.

Here is my 2 cents on this issue.

Times move on and with that so must businesses, which is what the Brisbane Lions are, a business. Obviously the Brisbane board think that the old logo and jumper where a little out of date and decided to change it to a more modern version. You would think a major part of this is to appeal to the younger generation rather then the generation which supported Fitzroy. The new logo, "Paddle Pop Lion", will very much do this imo, it combines the lions and the paddle pop symbol which for kids would be very appealing.

To say that a bunch of older supporters are not happy with a club and buisness trying to move forward is in my books wrong. If you even remotely cared about what is happening with the club NOW and in its FUTURE you would let the club move on to doing what it does best.

Fitzroy played a large part in the history of AFL/VFL however that history is now over and dead so why this fuss is happening to me is wrong and just a money grabbing scheme. I know they openly said it was not about money but think of all the publicity they have received out of this.

Even if this fails it WILL change if now now in 10 - 15 years time when the people making a fuss are long gone and most sentimental connections are gone.

That is because you blindly hate all things Fitzroy and have no intention of opening your eyes to anything different.
What nonsense.

I blindy hate people that cry over spilt milk (30 years too late) and especially people that take no responsiblity for their actions. Yeah, people like Dyson Hore Lacy. All blame and no responsibility.

(BTW did you see what the outcome was from the Fitzroy bequest State Trustees battle - remember that thread you hijacked with anti-Fitzroy hysterics http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652811&highlight=bequest - I'll give you a hint who won http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/home.html ).
Again, utter nonsense. There's one person indulging in hysterics here and it aint me.

Think you'll find that what happened in that case was along the lines of what I speculated.

This whole paranoia over poor-old Fitzroy is rather pathetic.

If Fitzroy win, the logo will have to change. Fitzroy got very little out of the merger, but why for one second should they not defend the little that they got?
What's that goal here? Helping Brisbane or helping Fitzroy?

Fitzroy supporters that embraced Brisbane, embraced a living, breating entity. One that would ultimately need to evolve to become successful in the market they were based. IMO debating over logos is like St Kilda supporters wanting to bring back the 80's stickman.

Romanticism is nice but respecting the past doesn't mean you have to live in it.

For Fitzroy supporters that didn't embrace Brisbane, frankly they shouldn't even have a voice in the running of Brisbane. Sure we're all entitled to our opinions, I just think it's ridiculous to expect Brisbane to run their club in the interests of people that don't even support the club!

What I find even more ludicrous is the anti-Brisbane/pro-Fitzroy mentality adopted by many Brisbane supporters. Hell, post something pro-Birsbane/anti-Fitzroy on the BRISBANE board and you get carded!

I understand Brisbane supporters not liking the jumper change. Happens with any team that changes their jumper. No problem, go hard complaining to the club. I suspect most though couldn't give a continental about the logo - they just want the old jumper back. Jumping onto Fitzroy's case because of that when that has nothing to do with the jumper seems pretty stupid and pretty self defeating.

From what I understand Fitzroy simply want their lion to be used on official documents as the symbol of the club, a view I personally agree with. Brisbane choosing to change the logo on the jumper and other merchandise seems reasonable because they are a business as stated previously in this thread, and this is their way of 'selling the brand'.

I don't know enough about either sides arguments but I think for Brisbane to continue with the 'paddle-pop lion' on merchandise and use the 'Fitzroy lion' on official documents would be a reasonable compromise for both sides, upholding the original merger agreement while still allowing Brisbane to grow as a business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions Logo Battle Hits Court

Remove this Banner Ad

Back