Lions Reserves 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the last three quarters of the Southport match and Ryan Harwood was the clear standout performer and his leadership was also first class. I hope his efforts will be rewarded on Friday night.

NEAFL Review v Southport

The Lions and Sharks played out one of the games of the season at a windswept Fankhauser Reserve on Saturday, with the reigning premiers coming back from five goals down during the last term to steal a 12-point victory, and remain undefeated in 2013.

In a seesawing encounter, the lead changed hands several times during the first half, before Southport kicked four unanswered goals in the third term to open up what looked like a decisive lead in a low scoring match. But with the breeze at their backs, Brisbane piled on an astonishing nine final-quarter goals –after kicking just five in the opening three terms – to run out 14.4.88 to 9.22.76 winners.

The story of the day was as much Southport’s inaccuracy as it was Brisbane’s withering finish, with Norm Dare’s side registering 31 scoring shots to 18. The first quarter was particularly damning for the Gold Coasters, as they peppered the goals without splitting the big sticks, kicking an astonishing 0.11 for the term. To be fair, a lot of the Sharks’ early shots on goal were from around the 50 metre arc under substantial opposition pressure, but late in the game Southport missed a couple of very gettable shots, with Eddy Mallan’s final quarter miss running into an open goal especially ugly.

Lion’s coach Leigh Harding paid tribute to the unlucky Sharks, who have now lost two of their last three matches to sit just four points in front of Gold Coast, Aspley, and Morningside. “Southport were the better side for 80% of the match – for the majority of the game they outplayed us, but their inaccuracy kept us in it” Harding conceded. “Had they kicked one or two extra goals in that first quarter I would have just about thought they couldn’t be caught at three-quarter-time, but because we were within five goals and had the wind I knew it would be possible to snatch the win.”

A few pivotal moments in a frenetic last term swayed the result the visitors’ way. First there was the Eddy Mallan’s miss from point blank range, then Shark’s big man Haydn Kiel was run down from behind as he was about to shoot for goal from 15 metres out.

Lions big man Billy Longer took a courageous pack mark deep in defence, reminiscent of Leo Barry’s iconic grab in the 2005 Grand Final, before boom recruit Marco Paparone kicked a brilliant running goal to seal what Harding called the Lions’ “gutsiest win of the year.”

After watching some of the game, its a little bit of a let down to see Jesse O'brien not having much of an impact. For an AFL player he needs to lift.

I still think the bloke who has his spot in the senior side has the little (c) next to his name. Last week Voss even did with Jed what I'd love to see us try with Harwood which is to send him to the centre bounce before swapping into defence when the play unfolded.

Yeah I definately agree with this. Both are the more physical type small defenders and Ryan is sufferring through an unusally extended period of fitness for Jed.

After watching some of the game, its a little bit of a let down to see Jesse O'brien not having much of an impact. For an AFL player he needs to lift.

I don't think he has been back playing long from his injury has he? I doubt he had any real pre-season either.

But I agree, the rest of the year is probably make or break for O'Brien. He has shown glimpses he could be good but he is very quickly running out of time.

Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast Suns
Saturday June 1, 1:30pm, Coorparoo
The Lions have already trumped their footballing little brother twice this year, but those games go out the window coming into the sides’ Round 11 clash.

“I don’t think you can read into the previous results between us [Lions and Suns reserves] at all coming into this game,” said Brisbane coach Leigh Harding. “Gold Coast have improved a lot as the season has gone on –especially since we last played them (Round 6 in Mackay) – so it’d be remiss of anyone to say we will win this match because we’ve won the previous two.”

Both Harding and Suns mentor Shaun Hart say they can’t wait for Saturday afternoon’s game, with a sizeable turnout expected at Coorparoo, given the Suns’ seniors have an away game and the Lions’ firsts play on Friday night. While Brisbane sits atop the standings with a perfect record in 2013, their last start was far from perfect, with Harding’s men outplayed for the majority of their match against Southport before scraping home by 12 points.
The Suns, conversely, are in fourth position, but their red-hot recent form belies that; with Gold Coast inarguably the form team of the last month. Gold Coast has beaten a trifecta of high-class opposition – Southport, Morningside, and UWS Giants - in the last four weeks, a fact which pleases coach Hart. “Our guys have been fantastic in the last few weeks; particularly against the Panthers and Giants,” Hart enthused. “We are playing the brand of football I know we are capable of, and if we can maintain that effort it will stand us in very good stead.”

As if this match wasn’t already difficult enough to pick, there have been wholesale changes to both teams, in line with senior selection.

Brisbane will be without Patrick Karnezis, Billy Longer, Ryan Harwood, Jack Crisp, and Marco Paparone, who were all elevated after impressing against the Sharks, but they’ll gain sharp-shooting twosome Jordan Lisle and Josh Green.

Gold Coast will be minus Tom Nicholls, Tim Sumner, Michael Rischitelli, Kyal Horsley, and Joel Wilkinson, but the blow is softened somewhat by the inclusion of Jack Hutchins and Steven May.

Suns and Lions meet again
May 31, 2013
Sam Lord

The Brisbane Lions Reserves will meet the Gold Coast Suns for the third time in seven weeks this Saturday afternoon at Coorparoo from 1:30pm.

But even though the Lions won both previous NEAFL contests by a combined total of 142 points, circumstances have changed significantly since their last encounter. The Lions’ injury list has grown considerably in recent weeks, while the Suns boast a relatively healthy squad.

The Reserves’ big man stocks will be particularly shallow, with their regular ruck combo Billy Longer and Sam Michael both in the senior team. “Early in the year we had a lot (of key position players),” Harding said. “At one stage I think we had five talls in the forward line, which isn’t ideal. Now it’s been whittled away, but we still have a couple.

“It presents an opportunity for someone like Michael Close to play predominantly up forward and be more of a target rather than being a third tall. “It also gives more responsibility to our Academy kids, who are in the middle of the U18 National Championships. “Queensland has a Bye this weekend, so hopefully we can get a few of those boys in the side.”

We have a very competitive team on the park tommorrow folks. We have the cream of the state 18's playing with us.. Watching bigman Archie Smith ( son of Brisbane Bullet Andre Moore ) will be worth the trip to cooparoo on its own.. The suns have some injuries like us so it may come down to the quality of the 18's that are playing.. Hopefully a win tonight into a cracking day at cooparoo tommorrow.. Cya there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great spoil then tackle holding the ball by Conway. Earns a 50m penalty and sets up a Green shot for goal.

Bock kicks truly from the pocket. Trailing 68-90.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions Reserves 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back