News Lions to wear traditional jumper...now reduced by the club to the 'commemorative hat-trick jumper'

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just a bit of historical fluff for people who aren't as well versed on the club's history Dylan - wouldn't get too upset that they didn't make it a political piece.

I was slightly surprised that the substantial growth in the size the blue yoke from 2007-2009 wasn't covered though.

The reasons changes were made to Fitzroy's jumper were the following

1909 - A reform group took control of Fitzroy and decided that a new 'branding' was needed to distance themselves from earlier turmoil where Fitzroy was accused of dealing in illegal cash in hand payments to players. Jumper and colours were restructured. (bit like how the Bears re-branded themselves in 1992 and 1996)
1942 - Added a blue FFC logo to existing jumper, as wanted a logo similar to what Carlton had.
1956 - FFC logo was changed from blue to white because of TV and concerns the FFC logo wouldn't be seen on black and white TV.
1974 - FFC logo was changed from white to gold because of the gold lion logo (which had been added in 1968) and gold was an original colour of Fitzroy before 1909.
1975 - Dark maroon was lightened to red because it would be brighter on colour TV.

1909 - A reform group took control of Fitzroy and decided that a new 'branding' was needed to distance themselves from earlier turmoil where Fitzroy was accused of dealing in illegal cash in hand payments to players. Jumper and colours were restructured. (bit like how the Bears re-branded themselves in 1992 and 1996)
1942 - Added a blue FFC logo to existing jumper, as wanted a logo similar to what Carlton had.
1956 - FFC logo was changed from blue to white because of TV and concerns the FFC logo wouldn't be seen on black and white TV.
1974 - FFC logo was changed from white to gold because of the gold lion logo (which had been added in 1968) and gold was an original colour of Fitzroy before 1909.
1975 - Dark maroon was lightened to red because it would be brighter on colour TV.

I never knew that. I did wonder why the change was made.

But were the changes voted on by the members Roylion? :) (sorry but couldn't resist)

I suppose another question is "were any of the changes driven by supporter dislike of the clubs own strip?".

Someone round these parts may know better than me (I was 11/12 at the time, so had important stuff like Gameboy Double Dragon II to worry about) but the Bears change is one where cartoon was dumped for tradition. Interesting too that it's now known, according to the article, as "infamous". Interesting parallel.

Chrissie Johnson just presented with 1 of these on Marngrook. Jeez it looks good.:thumbsu:

May well be the making of the return of the real Lion. Why do I feel that Holmes & co are testing the waters? Cos after seeing it in action in our 2 biggest games of the year it will be real hard to put the cat back in the bag.

p.s. Crissie just tipped us too.:thumbsu:

I'm sorry but I will not be patronised by someone who is too obnoxious, rude or perhaps illiterate to recognise that their opinions are merely that.

The suggestion that dissent from your personal view renders any alternative invalid underlines the paucity of your argument. In a topic that has generally been well debated but debated ad nauseum, I suspect that there are too many who hold the above view, and those who do shit me to tears.

Great story. I said you were wrong, not that you obnoxious, rude or *gasp* illiterate.

Honestly I would love to see our old guernsey return and the guernsey we wore last year v Dogs in Melbourne (With a white Lion as opposed to FFC) as our Melbourne strip.

Anyway I'm not going to get either so maybe I should just shut up.

Well we dont know that yet.

Malcolm said they wont be changing the logo, or that is what I understood him to say.

Tis what he says in the article on the lions site - not the jumper, but the logo. I have no problem with that.

Well we dont know that yet.

Malcolm said they wont be changing the logo, or that is what I understood him to say.

It's the context in which it was said, why would he talk about the logo at a jumper release, I hope you are right but the timing of the comment indicates to me he meant jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you claim the members discount + use two $15 vouchers on this?

Also, if it were put to a vote and all members were surveyed what would you consider to be a persuasive or influential enough figure to revert it back? IMO 75% would be resounding and enough.

As a side note: I only became a member of the lions in 2011. I began taking interest in the lions and attending some games from 2009 onwards and thus did not follow them during the 'premiership years'. My opinion of the logo is most probably therefore not formed upon personal memories of these premierships etc.
  • Just from mere appearance and style I prefer the 'old school version';
  • With knowledge of our premiership days and what it meant to the supporters/club/players I also prefer the 'old school version' in what it represents (with focus on primarily the supporters and players). I don't know if my view would be different, if in 2013 we had just accomplished another 3-peat in the current logo.
  • I prefer the current logo when considering ideas of marketing, especially in the sense that it really seems appeals to younger people (who will one day hopefully be buying their own memberships for their families) and may be able to broaden our horizons a little (even though I have no stats to prove this :rolleyes:).
If it came to a vote I'd vote for the traditional design, but don't really mind if the design isn't changed (this shouldn't be confused with a lack of care for the design or club). But I guess (without consideration of the design) it would be a good exercise for the club to put a poll to the members and actively engage and encourage participation in the club on issues that 'matter'.
**It may sound terrible to some but ideas of Fitzroy and the Bears, although obviously relevant, have absolutely no meaning to me as it was all well before my time and I would think that this would be the case with many members and fans.

Ordered mine today (by phone, stupid online account playing up).
They said they'd probably be in, in a couple of weeks.
I didn't want to risk postage not turning up before the 31st so said I will collect.
That game may be the only time I wear it b4 the next Lions premiership.
They supposedly will ring me when they're in.

Went into the shop & ordered mine today. Had to try on the Kooga guernseys to decide on what size. I haven't ever tried on or bought a Kooga AFL guernsey before so wanted to make sure the fit was right.

Gotta say pulling that Paddle Pop abomination of a guernsey over my head in the fitting room made me feel dirty. And boy did it look hideous once on! :thumbsdown:

But it was all worth it so I can get a properly sized "Hero" guernsey to replace the other guernseys I have that are falling apart from age.

So happy I could finally buy a new guernsey!!! :thumbsu:

Went into the shop & ordered mine today. Had to try on the Kooga guernseys to decide on what size. I haven't ever tried on or bought a Kooga AFL guernsey before so wanted to make sure the fit was right.

:thumbsu:

As someone who is thinking maybe they shouldn't have ordered a medium on-line, and gone with a large instead (or at least, tried one on beforehand), would you say the KooGA sizes are leaning more towards a generous size girth or on the leaner side of things?

I did use the on-line size chart, but I just don't trust those things.

:thumbsu:

As someone who is thinking maybe they shouldn't have ordered a medium on-line, and gone with a large instead (or at least, tried one on beforehand), would you say the KooGA sizes are leaning more towards a generous size girth or on the leaner side of things?

I did use the on-line size chart, but I just don't trust those things.

If I was buying a 2009 Puma Guernsey today I'd be buying the same size as the Kooga one I ordered today if that helps. So it seems pretty similar in sizing to the old Puma ones (which is my last bought guernsey). Maybe a little on the "slimmer" size which means if a Puma size was a bit snug on you the Kooga might be a bit more snug.

If that makes sense (sorry I'm out of it this arvo) :confused:

Gotta say pulling that Paddle Pop abomination of a guernsey over my head in the fitting room made me feel dirty. And boy did it look hideous once on! :thumbsdown:

But it was all worth it so I can get a properly sized "Hero" guernsey to replace the other guernseys I have that are falling apart from age.

So happy I could finally buy a new guernsey!!! :thumbsu:

Did the exact same thing an hour ago. Two other people in the shop were ordering them as well. It will be good to see a lot more of the real guernsey around the Gabba in a few weeks time. :thumbsu:

If I was buying a 2009 Puma Guernsey today I'd be buying the same size as the Kooga one I ordered today if that helps. So it seems pretty similar in sizing to the old Puma ones (which is my last bought guernsey). Maybe a little on the "slimmer" size which means if a Puma size was a bit snug on you the Kooga might be a bit more snug.

If that makes sense (sorry I'm out of it this arvo) :confused:

Cool. Thanks for that. My 2009 Puma "large" is a bit loose so she should be apples. Having said that, I'll lay off the snickers bars, just in case.

Cool. Thanks for that. My 2009 Puma "large" is a bit loose so she should be apples.
Err...if that's the one in my closet, it is a medium. Having said that, regardless, you'll be fine with medium.

I dropped by the shop from work and ordered a small. Still torn. Saving my receipt.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Lions to wear traditional jumper...now reduced by the club to the 'commemorative hat-trick jumper'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back