Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Best dynasty???

• Cats

Votes: 234 21.2%
  • Hawks

Votes: 524 47.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 344 31.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Had to travel every second week, played away from home, three premierships each (please don't play this silly game again where you try to include 2008) :drunk:

2008 is included only if you were ranking the coaches.

Clarkson > Matthews

:drunk:

Four premierships each? Makes them about equal, I would say.

haha I'm just kidding around here! :p

I rate Lethal. He was an outstaning coach and I'd say he's marginally ahead of Clarko. Though if Clarkson went on to coach another club one day and win another Premiership he would be an all-time great.

haha fluke, rightio.

geelong were way ahead of everybody, except hawthorn when it mattered. accept it, its reality, in the history books, it is what it is.

dont like rushed behinds? get better at kicking goals that defenders cant get close too. simple. you had the chance to do the same thing if you liked.

no geelong supporter in here wants to agree with, or even acknowledge that your own premiership captains rate hawthorns 'dynasty' above your own, which shows how ridiculous your arguments really are.

When did I say our dynasty was better?? That's not my argument. For what's it's worth I rate hawthorns better.

Brisbane>>>>hawthorn>>>>cats

Cheers.

I rate Lethal. He was an outstaning coach and I'd say he's marginally ahead of Clarko. Though if Clarkson went on to coach another club one day and win another Premiership he would be an all-time great.
Equal at the moment, you would imagine Clarko would overtake him, but who knows. If this is truly the end of the Hawthorn dynasty, he might have to go elsewhere and as most teams (bar Hawthorn) know, winning flags is not easy. Plus, Simpson is going to rack up a few :)

Or the fact we had to travel every second week, our home ground wasn't the G.....and we didn't have a free agency system that helped players go chase glory and want to come to us like they are on a silver platter.....

The same Free Agency system that is available for EVERY club

I guess thats an improvement on the Lions reign :drunk:

You also now have a much tighter fixture (where the top 6 now have to play significantly more difficult draws)

The same Free Agency system that is available for EVERY club

I guess thats an improvement on the Lions reign :drunk:

You also now have a much tighter fixture (where the top 6 now have to play significantly more difficult draws)
Might want to check those facts...the Lions' salary cap allowance was also available to EVERY club. Provided they had x amount of players from interstate.

How?

Matthews left both Collingwood and the Lions in tatters after he left. In the case of the Lions he did very little list development...as the nucleus for flag success was established by Northey and Walls

Clarkson basically constructed a premiership list from scratch in 2008 (only 4 seasons beforehand there was legitimate talk that the Hawks wouldn't win a game all season on bigfooty) the backed up with a mini rebuild 3 years thereafter with a threepeat

Clarkson is the 3rd fastest coach to 4 flags (11 seasons, Matthews took 16 seasons)...and in an age of ultra equalisation that is phenomenal

I cant plausibly see how Matthews was a better coach...certainly the argument could be made that the Lions had a better 22 man for man than Hawthorn but the Hawks have them for ease in the coaching box

Might want to check those facts...the Lions' salary cap allowance was also available to EVERY club. Provided they had x amount of players from interstate.

...as for the merger concessions

I guess if all clubs amalgamated then that would be available too :drunk:

Hawthorn has lost Franklin, Suckling, Ellis and Young to FA and gained Frawley evidently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you had merged with Melbourne, you could have enjoyed them too :thumbsu:

...but we didnt and now we have more flags than any other since we joined the VFL (13, next best is Melb and Carl with 11), since your team joined the VFL (7, next best is 3) and since the VFL renamed itself as the AFL (5, next best is 3)

Doesnt change the fact that the Lions had an advantage not available to any of its other competitors hey?

Lol you clown. Tell the OP then champ.

Cheers.

ok im going to explain this very slowly so you can try to comprehend it...

geelong win 2007, are the hunted in 2008 and cant cope.

geelong win 2009, are the hunted in 2010 and cant cope.

geelong win 2011, are the hunted in 2012 and cant cope.

hawthorn win 2013 and are hunted in 2014, withstand the pressure and win 2014. hunted in 2015, withstand pressure and win.

geelongs era was dominant, yet flawed and not consistent, especially in comparison to brisbane and hawthorns respective era's of dominance.

cheers champ

Hey gimp

Brownlow medals and aa's? You rate these awards? Huge lol. Squads win premierships... Never forget this.

Geelong's 2008 record accounts for zero. Because when it mattered you were down by 30 points deep in the third quarter. All it took was an unlikely bulky hero, and you collapsed on such a large occasion.

Also your 09 victory (which you proudly don) against st kilda? St Kilda prior to 2007 had a won a premiership before your last. A club with no winning culture.

The three peat isn't fresh. I would have argued we were already better than geelong after b2b, however the third sealed the deal.

You were a great team... However you were surpassed.. Accept the reality re

KOLOKOTRONIS
Yeah thanks for the Gimp tag :thumbsu:
You either win premierships or you don't, B2B and the goo are just ego satisfying labels. Glad you think so though.

And Nice little melt too Kolotripper and thanks again for the Gimp tag, I was merely trying to lighten the conversation but you took it the wrong way dude :D

Even during Geelong's home and away run against us, they really struggled. The only win of any note apart from the 63 grand final that geelong has had against hawthorn is the 11 qf! That was not a knockout final either and had we not choked in that final quarter against a deserving collingwood, anything could have happened the following week.

Hawthorn has owned geelong when it matters, complete ownership. The 08 lost destroyed their dynasty aspirations, and the 13 capitulation ignited ours.

Pressure is on geelong next year to bounce back. They have the cattle again. However you have to swing by hawthorn at the mcg on the big stage when it matters to take the prize.

When it matters!

KOLOKOTRONIS

Thats an interesting sentence that - eleven wins in a row - and yet Geelong really struggled

You look at some of the great teams Richmond 60s and 70s - Carlton what 7 flags - the great Essendon sides of the mid 80s and the great Brisbane sides - none of them anywhere remotely close to double figure losing stretches of games against one opponent - during a so called "great "era

Yet i think Essendon beat Hawthorn 11 times in a row - 80s/90s - and you talk about clubs being owned - Carlton when they were a powerhouse absolutely owned Hawthorn - some of the hidings they handed out to the Hawks at Princess Park - god i can even remember that inglorious 30- 30 day . There is alot of angst from long time Hawthorn supporters towards Carlton - and understanbly so - because when the Blues were a Powerhouse - they dead set owned Hawthorn .

ok im going to explain this very slowly so you can try to comprehend it...

geelong win 2007, are the hunted in 2008 and cant cope.

geelong win 2009, are the hunted in 2010 and cant cope.

geelong win 2011, are the hunted in 2012 and cant cope.

hawthorn win 2013 and are hunted in 2014, withstand the pressure and win 2014. hunted in 2015, withstand pressure and win.

geelongs era was dominant, yet flawed and not consistent, especially in comparison to brisbane and hawthorns respective era's of dominance.

cheers champ

Look main facts -

1. 08 was all ass.

2. Brisbane >>>> hawthorn >>>cats all though that is debatable since your weak opposition and playing the grand final on your home ground.

3. Your supporters are arrogant.

Just accept all the above and move on.

Cheers.

Look main facts -

1. 08 was all ass.

2. Brisbane >>>> hawthorn >>>cats all though that is debatable since your weak opposition and playing the grand final on your home ground.

3. Your supporters are arrogant.

Just accept all the above and move on.

Cheers.

cats certainly were ass like in 08 GF, so i agree.

as for home ground advantage, didnt geelong lose a final at home in 2013? whats the excuse for that? fremantle lost at home in a prelim too. good teams win anywhere.

arrogant sure, but others have stated there are geelong supporters that are not your humble quiet types either though i would never generalize an entire supporter group. i know some very nice informed and honest geelong supporters actually.

anyway im done with this convo, i respect your opinions. good luck to you and your team champ.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Back