Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Best dynasty???

• Cats

Votes: 234 21.2%
  • Hawks

Votes: 524 47.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 344 31.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool. I also watched the part where Hawthorn backed through the goals like gutless cowards all day, that was absolutely game changing too.

Cool thanks for noticing Clarksons superior coaching and tactical ability. I enjoyed that as much as you did.

Thats an interesting sentence that - eleven wins in a row - and yet Geelong really struggled

You look at some of the great teams Richmond 60s and 70s - Carlton what 7 flags - the great Essendon sides of the mid 80s and the great Brisbane sides - none of them anywhere remotely close to double figure losing stretches of games against one opponent - during a so called "great "era

Yet i think Essendon beat Hawthorn 11 times in a row - 80s/90s - and you talk about clubs being owned - Carlton when they were a powerhouse absolutely owned Hawthorn - some of the hidings they handed out to the Hawks at Princess Park - god i can even remember that inglorious 30- 30 day . There is alot of angst from long time Hawthorn supporters towards Carlton - and understanbly so - because when the Blues were a Powerhouse - they dead set owned Hawthorn .

Since then they have owned some wooden spoons also.
Only Premierships count and everybody knows this!

Did you enjoy those 11 straight wins the Cats had over the Hawks as much as I enjoyed the 2008 GF and 2013 Prelimanry final that book ended that streak of the cats? Basically 2 GF wins to the Hawks to vs the cats 11 less significant games.

Last edited:
Not to mention Hawthorn having a significantly bigger average winning from 2012-15 then what Brisbane did from 2001-2004, a much better win/loss record, two Coleman medalists, better forward-line, have three players all kick 50+ goals in a season at the same time, better depth, finished the home & away season ranked number one in attack four years running 2012-2015. I don't think Brisbane even once finished the season ranked one in attack.

Any talk of Brisbane being 'inferior' is bull dust. We out rank them in a number of key areas and the stats prove it.
Yet all the key stats indicate that Geelong 07-11 was superior to Hawthorn yet you're somehow using the same arguments to suggests Hawthorn were better than Brisbane, then at the same time jumping on your high horse when suggested Geelong's dynasty was better than both... go figure. o_O

But it was the poll... strange.

Hawthorn supporters need to come to grips with the notion that Geelong's dynasty was the best of the modern era.... they know it too because they keep referring to 08 as means for an advantage.:thumbsu:

Yet all the key stats indicate that Geelong 07-11 was superior to Hawthorn yet you're somehow using the same arguments to suggests Hawthorn were better than Brisbane, then at the same time jumping on your high horse when suggested Geelong's dynasty was better than both... go figure. o_O

But it was the poll... strange.

Hawthorn supporters need to come to grips with the notion that Geelong's dynasty was the best of the modern era.... they know it too because they keep referring to 08 as means for an advantage.:thumbsu:
No its simple Geelong could of been better if they actually won b2b but they didnt, get over it.

No its simple Geelong could of been better if they actually won b2b but they didnt, get over it.
You're telling me to get over it then continue to jump in at every opportunity and use the back to back reference... the only means to an argument you have.

3 premierships apiece is 3 premierships apiece despite how you want to look at it, but the fact Geelong's were won when the competition was vastly better and we broke almost every record there is to break, suggests Geelong's was superior. You can't argue against facts as much as you're trying to do.

You're telling me to get over it then continue to jump in at every opportunity and use the back to back reference... the only means to an argument you have.

3 premierships apiece is 3 premierships apiece despite how you want to look at it, but the fact Geelong's were won when the competition was vastly better and we broke almost every record there is to break, suggests Geelong's was superior. You can't argue against facts as much as you're trying to do.
Again you use that word vastly you sure you know what it means, 6 more wins over 5 season is quite the word i'd use. Even if Hawthorn win the flag next year you would still argue Geelong were vastly better.

Again you use that word vastly you sure you know what it means, 6 more wins over 5 season is quite the word i'd use. Even if Hawthorn win the flag next year you would still argue Geelong were vastly better.
Nope. If Hawthorn win next year there is no argument... they will go down as the best...and arguably the greatest of all time.

Vastly refers to more than win/loss ratio.

Cameron Ling says no.

No....We keep referring back to 2008 as it represents the fly-in-the-ointment, so to speak, in quashing any claims by Cats fans, that their era was superior.

IF & only IF Geelong had won in 2008, then there could be no argument....But you didn't, Your mob chocked on the biggest stage & when it mattered most!....Hardly characteristic of a greatest side ever claim to fame!

No....We keep referring back to 2008 as it represents the fly-in-the-ointment, so to speak, in quashing any claims by Cats fans, that their era was superior.

IF & only IF Geelong had won in 2008, then there could be no argument....But you didn't, Your mob chocked on the biggest stage & when it mattered most!....Hardly characteristic of a greatest side ever claim to fame!
I know it's hard for you to fathom but you missed the finals in 09. Stare at the ladder and consign yourself.

I know it's hard for you to fathom but you missed the finals in 09. Stare at the ladder and consign yourself.

Again....You miss the point entirely.

I'm not arguing from a Hawk perspective to include the 2008 Premiership as part of the 5 year dynasty discussion!

Rather, I'm arguing from the perspective of the Cats 07-11 reign....Win in 2008 & you'd be 3-peaters alongside the Lions & Hawks, as well as having the superior H&A record....But your flop in 2008 puts paid to any such claims.

3 in a row always trumps 3 in 5....As the poll amply demonstrates.

Unless you're just a really good/dedicated troll, I think you might legitimately be in denial. You claim just Hawks can't accept Geelong is better, but most people think the Hawks were better which is reflected in the poll.
I don't even see how this is worth arguing about anyway. I've seen my team win three in a row and one a few years before, you've seen your team win three and Brisbane supporters have seen their team win three in a row., surely we can all be content with that?

Again....You miss the point entirely.

I'm not arguing from a Hawk perspective to include the 2008 Premiership as part of the 5 year dynasty discussion!

Rather, I'm arguing from the perspective of the Cats 07-11 reign....Win in 2008 & you'd be 3-peaters alongside the Lions & Hawks, as well as having the superior H&A record....But your flop in 2008 puts paid to any such claims.

3 in a row always trumps 3 in 5....As the poll amply demonstrates.
Incorrect. 3 premierships is 3 premierships despite how you'd like to look at things. 3 interstate teams on the MCG is hardly a means for greatness.... Geelong did it the hard way, not only drafing their success but breaking almost every record there is to break along the way.

Sorry, but as good as the Hawks have been they just don't stack up with the Cats of 07-11... the facts can't be denied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless you're just a really good/dedicated troll, I think you might legitimately be in denial. You claim just Hawks can't accept Geelong is better, but most people think the Hawks were better which is reflected in the poll.
I don't even see how this is worth arguing about anyway. I've seen my team win three in a row and one a few years before, you've seen your team win three and Brisbane supporters have seen their team win three in a row., surely we can all be content with that?
I'm well content with my thoughts. :thumbsu:

Incorrect. 3 premierships is 3 premierships despite how you'd like to look at things. 3 interstate teams on the MCG is hardly a means for greatness.... Geelong did it the hard way, not only drafing their success but breaking almost every record there is to break along the way.

Sorry, but as good as the Hawks have been they just don't stack up with the Cats of 07-11... the facts can't be denied.

The facts are that it's 3-3....Last I checked, that's an even split!:)

Perhaps you need to frame the context of your claims a tad more definitively:....For example: The Cats H&A record over a 5 year period from 07-11 inclusive is unmatched in the history of the comp!

Such a shame then, that such a superlative record, could not be translated into a commensurate finals record, which runs a bleak 3rd behind the Hawks & Brizzy.:thumbsu:

The facts are that it's 3-3....Last I checked, that's an even split!:)

Perhaps you need to frame the context of your claims a tad more definitively:....For example: The Cats H&A record over a 5 year period from 07-11 inclusive is unmatched in the history of the comp!

Such a shame then, that such a superlative record, could not be translated into a commensurate finals record, which runs a bleak 3rd behind the Hawks & Brizzy.:thumbsu:
The context of my claims have been measured... it's you who is having trouble comprehending the value. :thumbsu:

I've already given definitive reasoning champ. :thumbsu:

Would you like me to give a comprehensive wrap of all records, etc achieved during our dynasty in comparison you both other clubs? It's not that hard.

You can refute it all you want but the facts are readily available. We simply had a 'vastly' better side.

You can refute it all you want but the facts are readily available. We simply had a 'vastly' better side.

That's the point: The historical facts say NO!....3/3>>>3/5.

You're not very good at math...Nor at comprehending what is valued most highly & measured accordingly: Premierships.

No one gives a toss about H&A records, only about what we all covet.....The Cats on that score both under-performed & rank as 2nd rate accordingly.

Sorry to burst your wee bubble.

That's the point: The historical facts say NO!....3/3>>>3/5.

You're not very good at math...Nor at comprehending what is valued most highly & measured accordingly: Premierships.

No one gives a toss about H&A records, only about what we all covet.....The Cats on that score both under-performed & rank as 2nd rate accordingly.

Sorry to burst your wee bubble.
So you're saying that value is measured by premierships yet at the same time using it as a means for argument despite all 3 sides boasting 3 premiership 'dynasties.'

I'm no good at maths you say... strange, unless you're still clinging onto that 4th flag that doesn't qualify, which we both know isn't the case basing it on your opening line. :eek:

So you're saying that value is measured by premierships yet at the same time using it as a means for argument despite all 3 sides boasting 3 premiership 'dynasties.'

I'm no good at maths you say
... strange, unless you're still clinging onto that 4th flag that doesn't qualify, which we both know isn't the case basing it on your opening line. :eek:

WELL, Yeah....3/3=100%....Whereas 3/5=60%....Capiche!?

That's why the Hawks have double the votes of your mob in the poll.

Really not sure how else to spell it out for you, so that it permeates & soaks into your cerebellum.o_O

WELL, Yeah....3/3=100%....Whereas 3/5=60%....Capiche!?

That's why the Hawks have double the votes of your mob in the poll.

Really not sure how else to spell it out for you, so that it permeates & soaks into your cerebellum.o_O
That's not what you said though is it? Nice backtrack to reproduce that old 3-peat and poll argument though... if all else fails find the easy solution. :thumbsu:

Since then they have owned some wooden spoons also.
Only Premierships count and everybody knows this!

Did you enjoy those 11 straight wins the Cats had over the Hawks as much as I enjoyed the 2008 GF and 2013 Prelimanry final that book ended that streak of the cats? Basically 2 GF wins to the Hawks to vs the cats 11 less significant games.

I enjoyed the 3 Geelong flags and the 11 straight wins over Hawthorn immensely

I enjoyed the 3 Geelong flags and the 11 straight wins over Hawthorn immensely
It's funny because apparently none of those 11 wins mattered, but they ignore the fact that in 09 if Hawthorn had have beaten Geelong in both those games, they make the finals, include 08 into dynasty calculations and thus this thread doesn't exist. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Back