Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Best dynasty???

• Cats

Votes: 234 21.2%
  • Hawks

Votes: 524 47.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 344 31.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just re-watching the replay.

Wayne Carey: "Are they the greatest team of all time?"

Cameron Ling: "yes is my answer...better than any team we've seen before."

When the last premiership captain of the club that hates Hawthorn more than any other concedes it, it's a bit hard to take a Geelong supporter seriously when they start talking about home and away records in the absence of back to back (let alone 3peat) flags.

When the last premiership captain of the club that hates Hawthorn more than any other concedes it, it's a bit hard to take a Geelong supporter seriously when they start talking about home and away records in the absence of back to back (let alone 3peat) flags.
Care to back up that statement with reasoning and fact?... I'm bemused by it that's all.

I enjoyed the 3 Geelong flags and the 11 straight wins over Hawthorn immensely

07 was a walk-over, though was happy for the Cats to end their drought....2009 was brilliant & 2011 was really a bye, given you played Collingwood.;)

As for the 'Kennett-curse'; It made for great footy-theater....Though somewhat frustrating for us Hawks fans....Happy it's all over & extremely happy to have taken-over & super-seeded the Cats mantle....It sits well with us.....Cheers.:thumbsu:

Yet all the key stats indicate that Geelong 07-11 was superior to Hawthorn yet you're somehow using the same arguments to suggests Hawthorn were better than Brisbane, then at the same time jumping on your high horse when suggested Geelong's dynasty was better than both... go figure. o_O

But it was the poll... strange.

Hawthorn supporters need to come to grips with the notion that Geelong's dynasty was the best of the modern era.... they know it too because they keep referring to 08 as means for an advantage.:thumbsu:

I think you've misread what I was saying. I was comparing Brisbane threepeat vs Hawthorn's threepeat. If you think the Cats era was better then Hawthorn's that's absolutely fine by me. I have no issues with that and I respect your opinion. I was there when Geelong beat us 11 times in a row. I went to every single one of those games and I know first hand how clinical Geelong were at their best.

I think you've misread what I was saying. I was comparing Brisbane threepeat vs Hawthorn's threepeat. If you think the Cats era was better then Hawthorn's that's absolutely fine by me. I have no issues with that and I respect your opinion. I was there when Geelong beat us 11 times in a row. I went to every single one of those games and I know first hand how clinical Geelong were at their best.
Don't worry champ., Hawthorn's 3-peat was head and shoulders above the Lions... no argument from me.

If we ignore the absolutely key stat and only one that matters.
Sorry pal but every key stat points to Geelong no matter how many times you tell yourself that 3 in a row (in marginally inferior years) beats 3 premierships in 5 with an abundance of team and individual records.

Take a glimpse at who Hawthorn beat in comparison to that of Geelong... underwhelming isn't it?

Sorry pal but every key stat points to Geelong no matter how many times you tell yourself that 3 in a row (in marginally inferior years) beats 3 premierships in 5 with an abundance of team and individual records.

Take a glimpse at who Hawthorn beat in comparison to that of Geelong... underwhelming isn't it?

Port Adelaide the worst GF team in years and perennial underachievers Pies and Saints? Very underwhelming indeed.

With the best Cats team that took the park in that entire era they lost to a weaker Hawks side than we have just 3 peated with.

Cats were great, there's no doubt.............and in fact pound for pound they may have been more talented (if you believe AA...although I'm not convinced), although I think our 22 was better overall. But results are the key and 3 in a row wins....with a fourth GF appearance, a narrow PF loss.......and another GF win a few years prior just the icing on top.

It's close, but not that close. A non b2b team < 3 peat team. Racking up a stack on H&A wins is great but we all know how hard it is to win 1 (ONE) GF. Cats sure as hell know how hard it is to win 2 (TWO) in a row, because as great as they were they couldn't do it. Imagine the enormity then of the task of winning 3 (THREE) in a row. That's so enormous that no amount of H&A wins is even in the ball park.

Port Adelaide th

e worst GF team in years and perennial underachievers Pies and Saints? Very underwhelming indeed.

With the best Cats team that took the park in that entire era they lost to a weaker Hawks side than we have just 3 peated with.

Cats were great, there's no doubt.............and in fact pound for pound they may have been more talented (if you believe AA...although I'm not convinced), although I think our 22 was better overall. But results are the key and 3 in a row wins....with a fourth GF appearance, a narrow PF loss.......and another GF win a few years prior just the icing on top.

It's close, but not that close. A non b2b team < 3 peat team. Racking up a stack on H&A wins is great but we all know how hard it is to win 1 (ONE) GF. Cats sure as hell know how hard it is to win 2 (TWO) in a row, because as great as they were they couldn't do it. Imagine the enormity then of the task of winning 3 (THREE) in a row. That's so enormous that no amount of H&A wins is even in the ball park.
Tell me how many games each of the Pies, Saints and Port lost in respective seasons v those who the Hawks confronted in grand finals... this will be interesting.

If you think the Hawks 22 was better, I'd like to see your reasoning.

I enjoyed the 3 Geelong flags and the 11 straight wins over Hawthorn immensely

I enjoyed the 3 Geelong flag wins as well - was there cheering the Cats on each time

I also reflect well on the long sequence of Geelong wins between the 08 GF and the 13 PF - we learned our lessons at the school of hard knocks - a critical part of preparing our team for a threepeat - thanks again

It's funny because apparently none of those 11 wins mattered, but they ignore the fact that in 09 if Hawthorn had have beaten Geelong in both those games, they make the finals, include 08 into dynasty calculations and thus this thread doesn't exist. :thumbsu:
The Qualifying Final in 2011 obviously mattered.

We would have played finals in 09 if we won the last minor round game against Essendon to suggest Geelong single handedly kept us out of the finals is idiotic.

The Qualifying Final in 2011 obviously mattered.

We would have played finals in 09 if we won the last minor round game against Essendon to suggest Geelong single handedly kept us out of the finals is idiotic.
So if you beat Geelong in those two games you make finals, correct?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me how many games each of the Pies, Saints and Port lost in respective seasons v those who the Hawks confronted in grand finals... this will be interesting.

If you think the Hawks 22 was better, I'd like to see your reasoning.
The Pies and Saints form had dropped off significantly at the end of the seasons you played them in the GF and Cats peaked at the right time.

Port were the biggest Grand Final fraud i have ever seen 07 had the worst top 4 i can remember but Cats were so good that year it wouldn't have mattered who they played.

I think the teams Hawthorn played were all in really good form heading into the Grand Finals we played against them.

If we won any game we lost that year we would have played finals.

That's like saying Hawthorn cost you a finals spot this year. Ridiculous.
So you didn't necessarily win games that matter?
The Pies and Saints form had dropped off significantly at the end of the seasons you played them in the GF and Cats peaked at the right time.

Port were the biggest Grand Final fraud i have ever seen 07 had the worst top 4 i can remember but Cats were so good that year it wouldn't have mattered who they played.

I think the teams Hawthorn played were all in really good form heading into the Grand Finals we played against them.
Pies lost 2 games all season, both to Geelong... no other team was capable of beating them yet you suggest their form 'significantly' dropped off... ok.

St.Kilda also lost 2 games all year... ok.

Both were dominant Victorian sides accustomed to the MCG mind you.

Last edited:
So you didn't necessarily win games that matter?

Pies lost 2 games all season, both to Geelong... no other team was capable of beating them yet you suggest their form 'significantly' dropped off... ok.

St.Kilda also lost 2 games all year... ok.
Yep St Kilda & Collingwood's form dropped away look at their finals performances both teams peaked to early imo.

Saints were lucky it was a wet GF i reckon Cats would have belted them if it was dry.

Yep St Kilda & Collingwood's form dropped away look at their finals performances both teams peaked to early imo.

Saints were lucky it was a wet GF i reckon Cats would have belted them if it was dry.
But, but, but. Ok champ you're putting up a compelling argument here. :rolleyes:

Say what you like both St Kilda & Collingwood's performances in the finals was well below what they produced in the minor rounds.

Collingwood were pretty banged up too from memory.
Would that be a result of Geelong as a club you think, considering you're only as good as your opposition?

Such a shame Hawthorn have to live with the stigma of 2nd best to Geelong with the pressure of 2016 ahead.

I'd have hoped somebody could have least put up a compelling argument that was a challenge...

All their finals not just the Grand Final.
The same finals in which those teams won, or were you deliberately discounting those prelim finals where Hawthorn only won by a kick or so... due to suspect umpiring to say the least?

If you tell yourself that often enough you will start to believe it.
Nobody has proved otherwise yet... I have though, so unless somebody has the compelling evidence that I've provided (unlike yourself) I'll remain content and dance off into the moonlight. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Back