Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Best dynasty???

• Cats

Votes: 234 21.2%
  • Hawks

Votes: 524 47.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 344 31.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't Geelong fans love that. Why don't we not only take it out of the equation but award it to the loser, giving Geelong 3 in a row, and the place in history they so crave. 2008 has always rankled cat fans. All the more so now that it separates the great from the very good. I can understand why you'd like to just brush it under the carpet and pretend it never happened.
I gather you didn't like that comment because you obviously are burning hard. How dare I make you melt :rolleyes:
You can't deny failure Hawfie just like we can't after this year :thumbsu:

I gather you didn't like that comment because you obviously are burning hard. How dare I make you melt :rolleyes:

I loved your comment. I love every comment by Geelong fans showing they will never fully recover from losing 2008 and missing the opportunity for a decent claim of being the greatest team of all time.

Indeed I cannot deny failure, 2008 was Geelong's greatest failure, handing Hawthorn another dynasty, and missing out on their own.

No, no, I'm afraid we won't be doing that. And thank god Geelong flogs on BF don't determine when our eras do and don't start....
And that's why that poll ^^^^ is a load of shit.
How many players would overlap with 2007? Would the coach be the same? How about the captain? I'd weigh all that information up in making that assessment.
2008>2013 5 seasons between drinks, 2011 >2016 would be 5 seasons as well.
So you count 08 in the same era after failing in 09 but you wouldn't if Geelong won it after this years failure? Different captain in 08? Yep. How many players from other clubs did you recruit again?
Double standards? Certainly is Hawfie.
Would never happen anyway so don't fear, Geelong are many seasons away from another premiership.

By the way great effort the last 3seasons have been awesome:thumbsu:

So you count 08 in the same era after failing in 09 but you wouldn't if Geelong won it after this years failure?

Settle petal. I didn't say I wouldn't include a 2016 win, I mentioned the factors I'd look at. I'd need to look at the list overlap before I decided what my opinion was, and I don't see why you'd care about my opinion anyway. In reality it is immaterial. 1+1+1+1, who cares?

Last edited:
Settle petal. I didn't say I wouldn't include a 2016 win, I mentioned the factors I'd look at. I'd need to look at the list overlap before I decided what my opinion was, and I don't see why you'd care about my opinion anyway. In reality it is immaterial. 1+1+1+1, who cares?
Using that logic is like saying you have had a 12 Flag ongoing era :drunk:

Lol so what happened in between 07 and 11 :drunk: and no finals missed.

We all know what happened. It is well documented. You had some dominant seasons but failed when it counted during several key moments, so ended up with a dribble of non-consecutive flags. There is no denying the Geelong team of that era is one of the most dominant H&A sides of all time, and probably the most dominant. However, people don't rate teams on their ability to win a bunch of H&A games. How were freo perceived at the end of this season? People rate Grand final wins, and they especially rate consecutive wins.

Using that logic is like saying you have had a 12 Flag ongoing era :drunk:

Which logic was that? The logic where I said I'd look at list overlap to assess if flags are from the same dynasty? I know Tucky played for a long time, but I didn't see anyone in a long sleeved jumper out there on Grand final year this year.

On the other hand if you want to talk about long running dynasty claims, a flag every decade for the past 50 or so years is pretty impressive. We haven't won a spoon in my lifetime either. Smells like a 50 year dynasty to me. Certainly the closest any club comes to claiming that over the last 50 years.

Cats and Lions.

Lions for me because of the in your face way they played footy (Bias).
Cats were smooth and so skilful.

Cats did it without the talent pool being weakened.
Cats 09 and 11 GF was epic to watch as well.

The NRL is better to watch as the comp has not being weakened.

The comp got weakened by GWS and the Suns.
The Hawks planed for this and peaked to strike.
Also Sydney planed as well but failed.

So the Hawks beat the COLA and Buddy got on some coin.
Win,win.

Poor Sydney.

Last edited:

So you count 08 in the same era after failing in 09 but you wouldn't if Geelong won it after this years failure? Different captain in 08? Yep. How many players from other clubs did you recruit again?
Double standards? Certainly is Hawfie.
Would never happen anyway so don't fear, Geelong are many seasons away from another premiership.

By the way great effort the last 3seasons have been awesome:thumbsu:

Hawks have won 4 flags (inc b3b) in 8 years, if the Cats salute next year it would be 4 flags in 10 years

Both would remarkable club achievements

Cats and Lions.

Lions for me because of the in your face way they played footy (Bias).
Cats were smooth and so skilful.

Cats did it without the talent pool being weakened.
Cats 09 and 11 GF was epic to watch as well.

The NRL is better to watch as the comp has not being weakened.

The comp got weakened by GWS and the Suns.
The Hawks planed for this and peaked to strike.
Also Sydney planed as well but failed.

So the Hawks beat the COLA and Buddy got on some coin.
Win,win.

Poor Sydney.

Can you explain to me where Hawthorn got salary cap concessions (unavailable to any club) and an inflated playing roster (due to meeger concessions)

In your face ( :rolleyes: ) gamestyle notwithstanding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did the worst Hawthorn premiership side in history defeat the greatest Geelong side of all in when it ultimately mattered most?

Even during Geelong's home and away run against us, they really struggled. The only win of any note apart from the 63 grand final that geelong has had against hawthorn is the 11 qf! That was not a knockout final either and had we not choked in that final quarter against a deserving collingwood, anything could have happened the following week.

Hawthorn has owned geelong when it matters, complete ownership. The 08 lost destroyed their dynasty aspirations, and the 13 capitulation ignited ours.

Pressure is on geelong next year to bounce back. They have the cattle again. However you have to swing by hawthorn at the mcg on the big stage when it matters to take the prize.

When it matters!

KOLOKOTRONIS

I don't care about who's better im just sick and tired of gloating, arrogant hawthorn supporters. It's actually quite embarrassing. Don't actually mind the team that much it's just your bandwagon stuck up smart ass pig of a supporter group.

OK, well the thing is...

You are guilty of the most heinous Pot, Kettle, Black hypocrisy the football world has seen.

Try being a hawks supporter in Geelong, constantly being reminded how good the Cats are. Listening to it over dinners, at bars, supermarkets - everywhere you dare say that you're a fan of another club, you're told how the Cats are going to perhaps 'drop a flag, but no more' over the next five years or so of their premiership rampage.

Soak some of that up for 12 months or more, and you'll truly know the meaning of the term 'arrogant supporter base'.

Better yet, listen to it all year and during Grand Final week in 2008.

Then listen to the girly squealing after the wheels fall off on that great day, and despite a series of free kicks that allowed the Cats team to rally twice, there is so much denial going on that you wonder if the whole supporter base actually watched the same game.

Yes batty boy, that is true ass headed arrogance. And your post is true hypocrisy.

The post below works like that, it can be copied and pasted for all eternity and it will have you squirming for cover every single time. :)

Dynasty premierships: Hawthorn 4 Geelong 3
Grandfinal wins: Hawthorn 1 Geelong 0
Consecutive Grand Finals Hawthorn 4 Geelong 3
Final wins: Hawthorn 3 Geelong 1
Back2Back Premiers: Hawthorn 2 Geelong 0
Threepete premiers: Hawthorn 1 Geelong 0
Number of Geelong premiership captains stating Hawthorn has had the greater dynasty compared to Geelong on national TV: 2- Ling and Harley

Fixed. The 3peat was a second back to back!

Why would he be burning hard? Every time the Hawks have played Geelong over the past 6 years they have always win the most significant games.
08 was sensational to win an early GF considering the players age and it certainly did prevent Geelong from a 3 Peat. You should re-watch the game and particularly the Stuart Dew and Rioli cameo performances, absolutely game changing.

Hawks clearly the best, Geelong were great and the Lions were a product of the AFL wanting to develop the game in QLD. They had so much assistance it takes away a lot of the credibility of the feat.

While I do like the Lions and laughed about them beating Collingwood twice, their 3peat is worth 2 at best due to the AFL buying them success.
Here is just a few of the draft concessions (Gifts from the AFL) that Brisbane received while still the Bears. Michael Voss, Darryl White, Marcus Ashcroft, Jason Akermanis and Clark Keating. Just a couple Brownlow medalists, with 1 of them been perhaps the best player in Fitzroy/Brisbane history. Along with a heap of other key players.
The Brisbane bears also benefited from a merger Chris Johnson (not the twins became a 2 time AA) and then trading of Fitzroy players that they gained for free netted them Mal Michael and Martin Pyke.
Despite already having ludicrous draft concessions to offset what I'm about to mention the merger allowed Brisbane to draft Jonathan Brown under father son, so with the players already listed and a father son pick lets now all except that the merger was extremely beneficial.

This merger also occurred directly after the Brisbane Bears team finished the 1996 season in 3rd. Imagine this for a scenario? GWS with all their stacked young talent finished 3rd next year and then they merge with the bottom team on the ladder, pick over their bones to take who they want, have an extended playing roster to accommodate, trade players they don't want for others and gain father son selections. Throw on top of that a PHAT salary cap. Congratulations you've created an all conquering monster. Sorry to once and for all remove the Lions from this debate. Word has it the Lions have to share their premiership cups with AFL headquarters.

Why would he be burning hard? Every time the Hawks have played Geelong over the past 6 years they have always win the most significant games.
08 was sensational to win an early GF considering the players age and it certainly did prevent Geelong from a 3 Peat. You should re-watch the game and particularly the Stuart Dew and Rioli cameo performances, absolutely game changing.
Cool. I also watched the part where Hawthorn backed through the goals like gutless cowards all day, that was absolutely game changing too.

Cool. I also watched the part where Hawthorn backed through the goals like gutless cowards all day, that was absolutely game changing too.
I didn't truely realise how much that 2008 loss to Hawthorn really crush some Geelong supporters so much that it still burns 6 years later.

A more interesting question to me is which of Hawthorn Grand Final wins in this period is the best.

Even during Geelong's home and away run against us, they really struggled. The only win of any note apart from the 63 grand final that geelong has had against hawthorn is the 11 qf! That was not a knockout final either and had we not choked in that final quarter against a deserving collingwood, anything could have happened the following week.

Hawthorn has owned geelong when it matters, complete ownership. The 08 lost destroyed their dynasty aspirations, and the 13 capitulation ignited ours.

Pressure is on geelong next year to bounce back. They have the cattle again. However you have to swing by hawthorn at the mcg on the big stage when it matters to take the prize.

When it matters!

KOLOKOTRONIS
Hey Kologlifti :D
It's natural that a lot of you are calling Hawthorn as it's fresh on everyone's minds and the hype is strong. Geelongs records are far more superior in that era. Win/loss ratios, winning streak, brownlow medals, AA's and the list goes on. As time goes on the hype will diminish buts stats and facts don't.

Once again I'm not knocking your 3peat it was magnificent and could very well be a 4peat, just some of the way you Hawk supporters froth at the mouth is very amusing. But well done all the less Hawks are a Champion club and will be very hard again to knock off again next year.

I didn't truely realise how much that 2008 loss to Hawthorn really crush some Geelong supporters so much that it still burns 6 years later.

A more interesting question to me is which of Hawthorn Grand Final wins in this period is the best.
So a Grand Final loss didn't hurt you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Back