Preview LIONS vs PORT, GABBA, ROUND 3 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get in the bin! We only have two players on the injury list and plenty of players who were regular senior players now in the reserves.

I hope you are correct. There would be about a baker's dozen teams who would also think they can make the 8. We shall see.

I do like the last part of your post though!

Thanks. We should all hope that the Lions can be a great side to watch and support in the future.

Hey mate not trying to be argumentive but how did you come to this conclusion?

Just my observation. Others will beg to differ. I do think he is an outstanding individual in regards to man management and human resources. The Barassi style was great in it's time but fortunately rarely exists today. He communicates well and seems genuine when he expresses his thoughts and opinions. He is good for the club. Lets hope he is great for the club.

Good work Sausages. It should be a tough encounter. I don't see the Lions getting in the top eight this year. Not enough depth. But you never know. If we lose one of Harris Andrews, Lachie Neale or Charlie Cameron or all three for extended periods of time we will struggle. As long as the players ( and their managers ) want to play for the club, it should be a much more enjoyable next decade than the previous one.

Fagan is a great mentor and confidante but not the best football coach. Much better life coach. Having Hodge out their certainly helps. He knows it is his last season on field. His brain is fast but his body is slow. If he can manage to finish this season it will be a huge positive for the club. Future assistant coach. Amazing that he has lasted so long compared to the athletic types such as Judd and Ball. He even said paraphrasing "A (relation) said that fancy the slow fat one has lasted the longest".

Here's to the improvement of the Brisbane Lions Football Club.

Despite very recent evidence to the contrary, I agree with this assessment. But even at this late stage of his coaching evolution, he has shown himself very capable of improvement.

To the best of my very fallible memory, Fagan is extremely reluctant to go the tag, or the hard tag at least. Robbo's mid-match attachment to Norf's Hall was an exception to this rule. Even then, as far as I could see we left their other two major collector's [Cunnington and Higgins, who absolutely both carved us up] to essentially run free.

We should not allow Rockliffe etc to run riot We should unequivocally tag him up from the word go. Even at the expense of the odd free.

We should not allow Rockliffe etc to run riot We should unequivocally tag him up from the word go. Even at the expense of the odd free.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what we do there - his numbers are so far and away better than anyone else's in the middle for Port that if we can take put pressure on him, they'll struggle. It's not SO much the clearances - he's getting good rebound 50's and I50's as well. Starve him of that, and we go a long way to chopping their supply, since so few of their other midfielders are carrying that load.

Looking at the stats, I was constantly reminded of the days when we needed Rockliff to have similar numbers to have a chance of winning - Port seem to reflect that too, at least in terms of data.

Apparently Port have a lid of their own. So looks like this game will be forever etched in the echelon of Port vs Lions rivalry as "The Battle of The Lids."

power 2.jpg

Last edited:
Despite very recent evidence to the contrary, I agree with this assessment. But even at this late stage of his coaching evolution, he has shown himself very capable of improvement.

To the best of my very fallible memory, Fagan is extremely reluctant to go the tag, or the hard tag at least. Robbo's mid-match attachment to Norf's Hall was an exception to this rule. Even then, as far as I could see we left their other two major collector's [Cunnington and Higgins, who absolutely both carved us up] to essentially run free.

We found out when Rocky played for us that tags didn't really work on him. I personally didn't find him all that damaging either, look back at the end of the game and one didn't realise he actually had 40 disposals. Would rather the tag on someone else or not play one and just go head to head

Lyons seems to be playing a defensive role at least at stoppages. Could take care of Rocky at stoppages and Robbo follows him around the ground.

Re Rocky: in the 2 games I've seen him, he is in career-best form. Trust me.

Forget the nothing kicks to anyone, anywhere- he has been the difference for Port. Never rated him when he was here because he did so little damage, and because of the crap he laid on teammates even while on-field. He is now a different beast, to my eye. Reminiscent of Neale. Dunno about the interpersonal skills.

If we allow him to run loose and collect 40+, we will pay.

Forget the nothing kicks to anyone, anywhere- he has been the difference for Port. Never rated him when he was here because he did so little damage, and because of the crap he laid on teammates even while on-field. He is now a different beast, to my eye. Reminiscent of Neale. Dunno about the interpersonal skills.

'Quarter one is about to begin, when Rocky asks the umpire to stop. He takes off his Port Guernsey to reveal maroon, blue and gold. He and Zorko embrace and the Lions (with the aid of Rockliff) go on to win by 300 points.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think rocky has better cattle around him than we had when he was here and that makes him more effective. Players like Rich and Walker and Bastinac are also are looking better for us - so much easier to impress and impact when you can rely on your teammates to do their role and be where they need to be.

Making the gabba a fortress again is surely in the minds of the players and coaches. I have no doubt we will come out with the same intensity and determination shown in the first two games. If we can settle earlier than we have in the first qtrs and put a few goals on port i think our fitness will see us run away with it. Not a game to be going in over confident tho or motlop, gray, rockliffe, westhof could hurt us but im sure fages has that under control. No unforced changes for me, this team has become adept at playing the roles required, whatever they may be situationally. A 6 goal win for me, home ground advantage and a roaring crowd.

We found out when Rocky played for us that tags didn't really work on him. I personally didn't find him all that damaging either, look back at the end of the game and one didn't realise he actually had 40 disposals. Would rather the tag on someone else or not play one and just go head to head
Good call, Rocky gets great number but doesn't hurt as much. i remember looking at his stats the last couple of years he was with us and he had good disposal numbers but really low distance gained. Yes he could be just playing inside and his handballs going to someone that would hurt you but I don't think that was the case then he was with us in our darkest days. I though Port got him to play more forward anyway but I guess he is needed where he is needed now.

Here we are people, we've stepped out of the De Lorean and it's the early 2000s again. I hope this weekend gives us something like the series of great games we had then. Good opening review Sausages but do note Boak has very similar numbers to Rockliff and in similar roles, allowing for different playing styles.

Here we are people, we've stepped out of the De Lorean and it's the early 2000s again. I hope this weekend gives us something like the series of great games we had then. Good opening review Sausages but do note Boak has very similar numbers to Rockliff and in similar roles, allowing for different playing styles.

Let the content of my response demonstrate a previously unachieved level of self control.

Good call, Rocky gets great number but doesn't hurt as much. i remember looking at his stats the last couple of years he was with us and he had good disposal numbers but really low distance gained. Yes he could be just playing inside and his handballs going to someone that would hurt you but I don't think that was the case then he was with us in our darkest days. I though Port got him to play more forward anyway but I guess he is needed where he is needed now.

His inside work was big saturday, 20 contested 12 clearances. Confident Neale will go one better on the weekend though.

I can't read their drivel even when I might otherwise agree with them.....all the words blur together into a series of cthulhoid ululations that, if muttered, will call forth the Great Old Ones from beyond their deathless slumber :D
yOU rANg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back