List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully is very stiff. 200cm+ young tall will naturally take a few years to get up to speed. He was tracking just as you’d expect/hope.

Finlayson or T. Marshall will need to spend some of preseason down back. It might be good for Todd- he can punch some forwards in the back of the head instead of being punched himself.

We’ve lost all our TB reserves- K.Marshall, Clurey, McKenzie. I don’t want Lukosius being chopped and changed between CHF and CHB. Walsh has exceeded expectations but I don’t think he is AFL ready yet.

So only the one surprise in Clurey.

Sounds like they have a confirmation he will go somewhere else which decreases the salary we have to pay him.

Does position us interestingly for the draft though. Gives us a 5th pick which it felt like we desperately needed given how many delist targets we have for next year. We should be able to take a rookie now, probably Rome Burgoyne. We also near certainly will need another key back at the draft too. I also presume Walsh will go back to defence after playing the last part of the year up forward.

Ratagolea and Walsh is decent depth.

Add a rookie under them rather than a mature ager I think.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Only if Rataoglea is playing SANFL. If he's still playing in the forward line at AFL level, then he isn't depth for the backline. And we end up robbing our forward line to cover a defensive injury.

And the backline at SANFL level will be inexperienced kids that are late picks in the draft that wouldn't even be playing Seniors if they were at an SANFL side. And we'll blame the SANFL for why our development path is so shit...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clurey playing at a clearly higher level as a KPD than Esava is debatable, Clurey played some good shut down roles but was never a star i think the last time he had a really good game for us was in the showdown in 2021 when he took Tex to the cleaners.

Esava struggled to fit in to our defensive mix this year but as a a complete newbie in defence he scored 24 coaches votes in 2023, including a perfect 10 against the crows. So he is capable of playing at a high level, and i reckon he has a higher ceiling than what Clurey ever had.

Clurey is a much smarter player and worked better with his teammates. Esava is a great size and a great athlete, but he doesn't quite have the skills or nous. I think he'll probably start the season in the SANFL.

Dougal Howard was an overrated footballer from Port fans, the reality was he was just never that good. I know a few saints supporters (they seem to be everywhere for some reason) not one of them has ever said anything nice about Dougal Howard. Most of them have him in the spud delist category.

Is he a clearly worse player than Esava, even now? I'm not sure that he is. I'd say it's pretty lineball.

And we are going back to ancient history with Trengove, he was a good player and i really liked him, seemed like a good club man and the decision not to play him in the 2017 EF was a poor one. But his career just tapered off a little earlier than most and was in the game had past him by stage before he even hit 30. It happens, there was nothing about what he did at the dogs that suggested we made a monumental **** up not holding on to him.

Trengove was the victim of some really poor list management and Matthew Lobbe's ability vanishing.

We knew Ryder was going to get banned or at least we knew it was a big chance, and we didn't cover him. We then used Trengove in the ruck in 2016, remodeling the defence without him and deciding that he didn't fit our style anymore. We then play him as a forward in 2017 (where we were short due to another list management stuffup) which he's not suited to and we end up giving him away to the Bulldogs, where his heart isn't in it and his career peters out. I don't think it would have petered out as it did if we simply left him as a KPD the whole time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back