List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

So, I’ve just read some rubbish article on Foxsports about how the “Houston trade can be unlocked by Port offering Lord”

I would laugh if this story gets legs, I think most Port fans would expect pick 1 plus some if Lord and Houston was involved.

Or Houston trade can be locked with Houston remaining at Port. With Lord.

It's not up to us to unlock the trade. Why is this so hard for the Ralphs and Edmunds of this world to understand?

Last edited:

If we give up Lord and Houston for anything less than two in the top 5, when we hold all the cards, we may as well pack it in. **** the Houston trade, focus on Luko and leave our offer for him hanging out there and see what happens. I wouldn't care if we didn't make any trades. Let's get a fresh take under a different coach.

Last edited:
Again, we handed Aaron Young to them for nothing a year after he had completed his best season. We are pathetic and our inability to get our full list composition spot on under Hinkley, Davies Cripps and Parker’s watch is the reflection of that. Always missing pieces. Never balanced properly. Yes, our development and coaching sucks too but our overall list management is nowhere near as good as people think it is. It’s resulted in a middling team under a middling coach.
I most definitely am in the opposite camp, that our list management is very good and has kept Hinkley in the job.

If Hinkley could develop players we wouldn't have to spend picks on 2 rucks and 2 KPDs in the same friggin' year.
It is completely bizarre to not have a number 1 or 2 ruck at the end of a seaon.

Last year, Hinkley put 44 games into Fevans, McEntee and Narkle. Talk about short sighted. Tommy A or even Sinn could've played those roles.
Boak gets a full run for the year when we could've at least given some games to Lorenz.
Dixon on one leg got 18 games.
Lycett, Jonas, McKenzie the year before.
What I'm trying to say is that Kenny Average develops the wrong players at the wrong time.

If Aliir didn't fall into our laps, we would be even worse.

The most important aspect of our list is that we've got match winners.

If we had a decent coach, we would be in dynasty mode.

At the Suns, Hardwick is not going to be putting games into old veterans and half baked AFL players. He's going to get rid of the no hopers and instill his game plan into his young team. I think he played all 4 rookies last year. Mitchell did a similar thing at the Hawks.

I'll do a List Management review probably after the trading and also the drafting.

I most definitely am in the opposite camp, that our list management is very good and has kept Hinkley in the job.

If Hinkley could develop players we wouldn't have to spend picks on 2 rucks and 2 KPDs in the same friggin' year.
It is completely bizarre to not have a number 1 or 2 ruck at the end of a seaon.

Last year, Hinkley put 44 games into Fevans, McEntee and Narkle. Talk about short sighted. Tommy A or even Sinn could've played those roles.
Boak gets a full run for the year when we could've at least given some games to Lorenz.
Dixon on one leg got 18 games.
Lycett, Jonas, McKenzie the year before.
What I'm trying to say is that Kenny Average develops the wrong players at the wrong time.

If Aliir didn't fall into our laps, we would be even worse.

The most important aspect of our list is that we've got match winners.

If we had a decent coach, we would be in dynasty mode.

At the Suns, Hardwick is not going to be putting games into old veterans and half baked AFL players. He's going to get rid of the no hopers and instill his game plan into his young team. I think he played all 4 rookies last year. Mitchell did a similar thing at the Hawks.

I'll do a List Management review probably after the trading and also the drafting.
Don’t disagree at all that Hinkley is the primary weakness both in development, selection strategy and the oversight he would provide to game style and what list he wants to achieve that. But our Mr Nice Guy attitude when it comes to dealing with other clubs hasn’t got us as far as Chris Davies would have us believe. As others have posted, we still seem to overpay and get unders when it’s our turn to sell. We don’t go for the final squeeze when we finalise trades, and although it’s hard to tell for sure I suspect over time it’s compromised our draft position.

Don’t disagree at all that Hinkley is the primary weakness both in development, selection strategy and the oversight he would provide to game style and what list he wants to achieve that. But our Mr Nice Guy attitude when it comes to dealing with other clubs hasn’t got us as far as Chris Davies would have us believe. As others have posted, we still seem to overpay and get unders when it’s our turn to sell. We don’t go for the final squeeze when we finalise trades, and although it’s hard to tell for sure I suspect over time it’s compromised our draft position.
I generally agree with you but being Mr Nice Guy also has its benefits as well and it mean you can get Aliir for a 2nd rounder, Sweet for pick 50, Rioii for a couple bags of chips, etc. Some clubs will be easier to deal with but yes, other harder like Essendon, Geelong, etc.

We really need to nail these deals with Houston, Soldo, possibly Lord and Lukosius and Richards and have some serious firepower coming into the draft.

Lord is a funny one to include in trade talks. Given he's the only contested forward we have on our list, his value to us is huge - like pick 10-15. But objectively he wouldn't be worth that to any other club so just don't see how he gets included in a trade.

Similar to what Scorch said - if a club is willing to meet that trade value then sure, I'd be fine with letting him go. Still a significant amount of uncertainty on whether he makes it as an AFL player or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back