Lobb shines as Dogs thrash Cats at pork barrel stadium 95-48

Remove this Banner Ad

I too must add to the chorus of admiration for Adam Treloar. He's always been a very good footballer but this season he seems to have reached a new level of excellence. He is the supreme professional and his buy-in to make the team succeed is obvious. Thank you very much Pies.

That was one of my toughest performances I've put in. Fronting up to coach the under 8s at 8.30am absolutely hung like a dog after putting away 3 bottlws of red on the couch. Woops got a little carried away with the win 🤣

Brilliant win, brilliant team effort, we smashed them everywhere without the reward on the scoreboard until the last. Should have been 60 pts up at 3/4 such was our domination. Geez if we can sneak in there will be some worried teams.

English’s effort in slippery conditions shouldn’t be overlooked either. Pivotal in repelling their defensive run with the high ball out of their d50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English’s effort in slippery conditions shouldn’t be overlooked either. Pivotal in repelling their defensive run with the high ball out of their d50

Stood under the footy courageously and clunked em. When he does that he's a star. I think the problem is that he seems to get a bad concussion every year and it takes him a while to recover his courage again afterwards.

Its just dawned on my smooth brain that the rapid rise of Freijah was the key to allowing Richards to play his transformative role in the midfield.

They play in such a similar way by straight lining every ball and using their pace to break the lines.

Not that I value the award much, but he'd have to be in line for a RS nomination very soon.
Bramble has been important too and is improving his impact and consistency as the season progresses.

Will do my usual dot points later.

Alright...the most enjoyable live win I've been to in a long time so a bunch more good than bad.

The good
  • Our physical pressure on them around the ball was first class. We had the bigger bodies and made them look weak and feeble in the packs. Libba, Richards and Bont led the way but it was the whole team really. Even guys like McNeil and Buku just pushed cats players over at times.
  • Our forward line finally functioned really well as a full unit together. Moving Lobb out of there and giving him another role has proven a master stroke. Naughton got on his bike up the wing a tonne and left the deeper positions to Jam and Darcy which worked really well. I've had my concerns about this unit having too much tall timber down there still.
  • Cody Weightman had a sneakily awesome game. He's not only marking and scoring inside 50, he's also assuming that miers style setup man role. Some of his possessions in the middle of the ground and on half forward showed a lot more poise than I've seen from him previously.
  • The Rory Lobb shaped elephant in the room. I've been pretty harsh on him as a forward here, and he's deserved it. With that said, as an intercepting defender with far less physical pressure on his frame and overall reach, he is an absolute monster. I hope I get made to eat crow because it means this move has pushed us into the finals. Jeremy Cameron had no idea what to do. He was grabbing jumpers, scragging him 10m off the ball drop, giving away frees. Lobb made a top quality centre half forward look second rate just with pure size and reach.
  • Joel Freijah legitimately looks like he's played 215 games. Strong in the contest, glides across the ground, poised. What a pick-up.
  • Adam Treloar has to at least make the All Australian squad. Has been brilliant all year. Outruns his opponent on a weekly basis. 30 and 3 whilst being a top level teammate and gentleman.
  • Ed Richards is a better full time midfielder than Bailey Smith. It will make the potential loss of baz a lot easier to swallow.
The bad

Not much really. Nitpicks.

• I wish Sanders was more selfish. Especially when given the chance to use his shoe. He has high quality disposal but I still feel like he's trying to be the good teammate and handballing sideways to guys who are worse kicks than him.
  • The Geelong facilities were pretty nice but god the surface was in REALLY poor shape. One particular flank in front of me was basically just a mudpit. I saw more than one sprinkler head sticking above the ground on the boundary line by about 2-3 inches. Really dangerous stuff for players if they fall and trip on those. It seems like the turf has receded in that part of the ground.
  • The umpires were absolutely gagging to give Geelong forwards frees. They get some serious home cooking down there. There was one with freijah or coffield basically just body spoiling or barely touching a guy that resulted in a goal. The treloar 50 was a horrendous call. Yuck.

VDM's decision making and skill execution is abysmal, not taking that option to Richards, wow,
still plays in my team however for his defensive work and mongrel.
wish he could learn to play though
I've said it before. He didn't have footy smarts and consistently makes the wrong decision with or without ball in hand.

Still can’t wrap my head around how we have ayes down back with Jones out. You would have felt very comfortable betting your hard earned that we would be cooked when he got injured. Footy is a weird game.

Jones is still a required player IMO although I think Keath’s days are done if Lobb locks down a spot, and does it well

I too must add to the chorus of admiration for Adam Treloar. He's always been a very good footballer but this season he seems to have reached a new level of excellence. He is the supreme professional and his buy-in to make the team succeed is obvious. Thank you very much Pies.

I wasnt sold on him initially, he has taken a long time to fully win me over. Patchy form early, and seemed pretty flakey mentally. Seemed like a pies player unwillingly grinding out the last years of his career somewhere else.

Last two years though, I think he has settled into being a dogs player and that has mentally stabilized him - playing like he beloings and wants to belong.

Reckon his missus moving back to victoria and also not being attached at the hip to dunkley has benefitted him.

VDM burning Richards on the wing was the final straw
I reckon that was close to the worst decision I’ve seen a player make in 20 years of watching footy. Very very very lucky it didn’t cost us.

I can never trust VDM with footy in hand. Don’t like to see players fail but wouldn’t want him in a high pressure game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobb shines as Dogs thrash Cats at pork barrel stadium 95-48

Remove this Banner Ad

Back