Long sleeve guernseys and gloves are shit!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Long sleeve guernseys and gloves are soft!

I can't stand players who wear long sleeves or gloves. To me it just looks pissweak. Why do some players prefer it? I can't even wear a shirt in the office without rolling up the sleeves a bit! They should be banned in AFL games!!

Bring back collars! :D

Have you spoken to Jimmy about your foibles?

I agree !!

If you have problems handling the ball and need to wear gloves then that is your problem. Why should you be given an artificial advantage to catch-up to the rest of the players in the competition ??

Wow, you do realise that it is not really an unfair advantage when every player in the comp can go and get a pair of gloves?

Long sleeves are fine, but I can't understand gloves. I've tried them in the past (was a trend once). They actually made it harder to drop the ball properly on the boot when kicking and didn't grip anywhere near as well as a palm full of spit and dirt when taking a mark.

No problem with sleeves. Plenty of reason to it, could be something minor such as a bandage they wish to protect.

As for gloves, ban them. Too many players wear them only to take them off when taking a shot.

Either make them keept he glove on for the entire quarter or ban them all together.

you guys are still soking over players using gloves jease what so voss and roo's where both cheats? what bout paul kelly, richo, both the cloke brothers, archer they have all worn glvoes ands its up to the players on weither they want to wear them or not it could be a confidence thing as well. whats the point to pulling up ur footy socks the f@&*ing things fall down all day so what wrong with just leaving them down and for the people baging out long sleve jumpers find somthing that is really worth worrying about and start a thred that is important

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't stand players who wear long sleeves or gloves. To me it just looks pissweak. Why do some players prefer it? I can't even wear a shirt in the office without rolling up the sleeves a bit! They should be banned in AFL games!!

For 100 yeas AFL/VFL players got by without gloves, now that they are full time professionals, all of a sudden they cant take a mark without a glove on??? :confused:

Two things, if you have a shot at goal and wear a glove, you shouldnt be allowed to remove it....or even better, ban them altogether!

Are they or are they not performance enhancing?

socks down is worse..........might as well provide players with running socks if they're not going to wear footy socks the way they're supposed to be worn.

combined with the sleeve-less guernsey, socks down is as gay as they come.

Well, mcgarnacle, last years premiers was a socks down team :p

What a great thread. An Essendon supporter owning himself right from the first post, and dissing one of their greatest ever players in the process. Awesome stuff :thumbsu:

I vary rarely play without long sleeves on, and it's mid 20's to early 30's every game up here. A few blokes wear the gloves but I prefer to get it strapped up if I need extra grippo. Also sleeves gives you a bit of extra grip on the chest marks in the wet, Allan Jeans was a big advocate for them.

Darryl White also played most of his games in the sleeves FWIW, and Tucky only appeared in a sleeveless for the 2nd half of the 87GF after Justin Madden snotted his nose in the 1st quarter.

Well, mcgarnacle, last years premiers was a socks down team :p

What a great thread. An Essendon supporter owning himself right from the first post, and dissing one of their greatest ever players in the process. Awesome stuff :thumbsu:

Big deal. I loved Hirdy but I can criticize the sleeves if I choose to. I wanted to see what everyone else thought and I got some good feedback, you clown.

Sorry if this has been said before as I didn't read the whole thread but....

Collingwoods long sleeve jumper is terrible.

It used to look great when the stipes started at the sleeves of the sleeveless jumper (if that makes sense) But now the stripes continue on right up to the neck in a strange sort of diagonal design.

Collingwood long sleeve of old :thumbsu:

New design :thumbsdown:

Incidently I get called a tosser for wearing a long sleeved jumper here in Qld whilst playing but I do it to protect my skin from the sun and I find my skin doesn't breathe well with sun screen so to each their own

Bring back the lace up jumper. With the lace up players might be able to play like they did back then (alot better!!) Skrew this new age technical bullshit.

Long sleeves are a funny one.
For some reason it looks funny on Laycock and gives the impression that he is weak, yet it never bothered me on Hird.
Same went for Loveridge and Tuck at Hawks. Looked ok on one but not on the other.
At the end of the day if being warmer helps ya play better the ngo for it.

Re gloves. I remember S Kernahan on Talking footy one night when asked about it. He replied that he had nothing against them but couldnt understand why players did it because he loved the feel of the leather sherrin in his hands. Since then I have always concurred with this.

Re above post. a jumper without laces is so new age!!!!

Rolling up sleves in an office = automatic notification to fellow workers that they are in presence of a bogan.

Next thing you will tell us is that you don't wear a belt.

Travis Cloke uses gloves and he's still shit.

Doesn't make a difference.

17 kicks, 14 marks, 5 goals
13 kicks, 11 marks, 3 goals
17 kicks, 13 marks, 1 goal

What's that you say? Well it's Travis' last three games against your wonderful football club. But no, he's shit! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Long sleeve guernseys and gloves are shit!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back