Game Day Lost Dogs Home V Lions 30/3/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dare I say it but if Macrae has another similarly poor performance on Thursday night, is his spot in jeopardy?
Completely agree that his form is well down, but it’s hardly just him. The effort is there but nothing is clicking. I don’t think he’s the senior bloke we need to single out and drop.

Macrae needs good players around him, I think it’s similar to Tom Mitchell at Hawks vs Pies. If you put some hard running offensive midfielders alongside him for him to feed he’s elite. Now the whole midfield has dropped like a sack of shit he’s not as damaging and compounds the problem IMO.

Main change id make this week is to completely cut the press on both ends and try to spread the ground.

Sit our defence back and cut loose from halfback through the corridor. when the balls inside 50 I do not want to see us press up and lock it in. All this does is flood our own forward line and allow the opposition to inevitably get it out over the back for an easy score.

Hold position with our defensive line! And in the same regard hold our forward line too, don’t push up to support our defence - our midfield can do that. I always want our forwards in the front half of the ground, then when we slingshot off half back we’ve got targets to kick to. Turnover footy is king.

Cleary Jones Croz
Dale Gardner Richards

Baker Libba Baz
English Macrae Bont

Treloar Lobb AJ
Garcia Naughty Marra

Daniel, Williams, Scott, Buku S: West

In: Cleary, Gardner, Lobb, Treloar, AJ, Buku

Out: Doc, Bruce, Darcy, McLean, Keath

If Lobb doesn’t play then Darcy stays otherwise he needs to play VFL for now, Buku is a better option currently. I’m sick of Doc in our backline he’s so slow and constantly goes to ground, time for Cleary.

Rest of the changes are self explanatory

Definitely not but is he carrying an injury? He hasn't put in two singular games like this in 5 years, let alone two in a row. It's just uncharacteristic.
Could be vice-captaincy getting to him. Some guys aren’t made to lead, and knowing the shut-in shy personality type he is for me it was a very odd choice.

Dare I say it but if Macrae has another similarly poor performance on Thursday night, is his spot in jeopardy?
Macrae's defensive work around the contest is becoming a problem. He has been the first to be moved out of the midfield group when the opponent gets on top for a while now, and it is much more striking now that (1) Dunkley is not there to carry more load; and (2) CD is the replacement.

I am not saying we need to drop him - we probably can't right now - but he is exhibit A in why our centre bounce defence is atrocious right now. Need more intensity from him. His pressure act etc stats are unacceptable.

Arty gets to debut. Pumped for him, hope he goes well!

The Western Bulldogs will field their first debutant of 2023 this Thursday night against Brisbane, handing speedy forward Arthur Jones his maiden senior opportunity.

The Indigenous youngster has spent the last year and a half biding his time in the VFL program, and had impressed with his preseason work this summer before being sidelined with a groin injury.

Development coach Travis Varcoe broke the news to Jones in front of the entire playing group during Tuesday morning’s team meeting.

Jones was selected with pick 43 in the 2021 AFL Draft, hailing from Mt Barker in Western Australia.

If Lobb is still injured I'd get experience into Darcy by playing him as a defender and swing Bruce forward, given Darcy clearly not a factor forward in two games. Who cares if neither trained there in pre-season, they both played there last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming all parties are fit and OK to play:
IN - Treloar, Lobb, Gardner, Jones
OUT - McLean (to sub), West, Darcy, Bruce, McComb

FB: Duryea - Jones - Keath
HB: Dale - Gardner - Richards

C: Baker - Bontempelli - Scott

HF: Garcia - Naughton - Smith
FF: Jones - Lobb - JUH

R: English - Treloar - Liberatore

I: Daniel - Macrae - Williams - Crozier
S: McLean

It's a toss up for me between what I have above, and Keath out instead of McLean (with West sub). Part of me thinks we need to abandon the tall defence while we try to fix the lack of intensity around the ball but I don't want to move away from that too fast. Give it another week.

I suspect Treloar doesn't play given his history of soft tissue injuries, so this will shift McLean to the 22 and West to sub. If Lobb doesn't play I would probably be more inclined to put Bruce forward and still drop Darcy, who is just not ready to compete as a forward.

I honestly cannot see the logic behind upgrading West from our VFL midfield then dropping him when he doesn't perform well in our senior side's forward line.

It's so stupid
Why? If you play him forward in the VFL he will hardly get a kick and he's not an AFL midfielders sphincter

I honestly cannot see the logic behind upgrading West from our VFL midfield then dropping him when he doesn't perform well in our senior side's forward line.

It's so stupid
I am more open to trying West mid than our coaches seem to be, but regardless of your AFL/VFL role or whatever other factors you want to throw in, 4 disposals (3 handballs), 3 tackles (0 inside 50) and less pressure acts than all but four non-KPP players in the team in a full game is not something we can carry right now.

Main change id make this week is to completely cut the press on both ends and try to spread the ground.

Sit our defence back and cut loose from halfback through the corridor. when the balls inside 50 I do not want to see us press up and lock it in. All this does is flood our own forward line and allow the opposition to inevitably get it out over the back for an easy score.

Hold position with our defensive line! And in the same regard hold our forward line too, don’t push up to support our defence - our midfield can do that. I always want our forwards in the front half of the ground, then when we slingshot off half back we’ve got targets to kick to. Turnover footy is king.

Cleary Jones Croz
Dale Gardner Richards

Baker Libba Baz
English Macrae Bont

Treloar Lobb AJ
Garcia Naughty Marra

Daniel, Williams, Scott, Buku S: West

In: Cleary, Gardner, Lobb, Treloar, AJ, Buku

Out: Doc, Bruce, Darcy, McLean, Keath

If Lobb doesn’t play then Darcy stays otherwise he needs to play VFL for now, Buku is a better option currently. I’m sick of Doc in our backline he’s so slow and constantly goes to ground, time for Cleary.

Rest of the changes are self explanatory
This is basically the exact same team I would pick, yet if Lobb needs another week bring in another small. Daniel must be on notice as well, looked like an under 14 player trying to compete with the seniors, just couldn't keep up in the middle, not sure were he can play anymore?

Macrae needs good players around him, I think it’s similar to Tom Mitchell at Hawks vs Pies. If you put some hard running offensive midfielders alongside him for him to feed he’s elite. Now the whole midfield has dropped like a sack of s**t he’s not as damaging and compounds the problem IMO.
Can't agree on this. He was a shining light in the McCartney era.
I think he's been more than fine to be honest. Some just seem to crack it at Jack at the first sign of trouble.
The little guy and the captain seem more of an issue to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back