Universal Love Lou Richards passes away (all tributes to the legend)

Remove this Banner Ad

i remember staying up late to watch league teams..... i also remember him as the biggest vfl journo at the time by a mile...and that includes boring farts like alf brown. His "kiss of death" selections and his sports columns in general set the framework for alcoholics like robinson to follow in later years. i wasnt around for his footy years but it's amazing to think that this guy was so important to the game for so long. i understand the rules of the afl legends thing but lou's importance to footy is just so obvious....state funeral

Let's hope from his passing, it brings unity to the club to realise things are bigger than just the current issues. Let's just hope the current players recognize the enormity of the contribution of Lou Richards to both Collingwood and Football in general.

In a time like this when we all seem to be bickering and frustrated at the club, I suppose it will be nice to maybe remember our history, and remember one of our greatest sons. We may disagree, but I'd like to think we are still all passionately Collingwood.

THIS....THIS....THIS
Lou would have hated what we dished up on Saturday but he would have buttered up again the next week and so should WE.
A great man has passed. A GREAT Collingwood man.
Side by Side Lou.
Thanks for the memories.

I am crying.

I'm going to miss Lou so much. I was not a part of his playing era but I have fond moments of him as a media personality when I was growing up and I even had the pleasure of meeting the bloke at the footy one fateful day.

A genuine person. A legend.

Rip Lou.

You reckon if he played cricket he'd have to be a

Wicket keeper :)

Small and a yapper

Perfect

R.I.P to a football icon. Tiny fella but way larger than life. I always loved Louie when he was on the Sunday Footy Show back in the day with Max Walker and Teddy Whitten and Sammy Newman.

Yes, yes, I remember those days. Vale Lou, a legend and an icon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R.I.P to a football icon. Tiny fella but way larger than life. I always loved Louie when he was on the Sunday Footy Show back in the day with Max Walker and Teddy Whitten and Sammy Newman.
Or on World of Sport (Sunday morning)...trottting out with the gifts after a player or coach interview...a tie wrapped in cellophane, some Huttons ham & a Bottle of Patra orange juice.

RIP Lou

One of footys greatest ever larrikins, blokes like Lou, Jack Dyer, EJ, Bobby Davis made this game great and they were among footys first personalities, these guys built a legacy the game is built upon. They're no longer with us but we will never forget their contributions for the game both on and off field.

An absolute disgrace Lou never got HoF legend status, what he did on and off the field in both playing and media capacities easily deserved an elevation. Will forever be a legend in our eyes.

A sad day for your club and for footy in general, but we can all reflect on so many great things he did for your club and the game in general, a giant of the game. He deserves a state funeral, one of the greatest ever Victorians.

My condolences to his family, friends and the Collingwood community.

RIP larrikin and legend

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire pays tribute to the great Lou Richards
MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
21 minutes ago
AN EMOTIONAL Eddie McGuire said statues should be put up all over the city in the wake of the death of Lou Richards.

McGuire today recounted Richards’ achievements as a Collingwood great, including being the Pies skipper, but said the fans, the players and the media would forever be blessed by Richards career post-football.

“We’ve got a statute for him at Collingwood, Channel Seven and Channel Nine should have one, the Herald Sun should have one and the AFL should put one right out the front of AFL House and the players association should bow to it every day,’’ McGuire said.

He said Richards deserved a category of his own in the AFL.

“I don’t think there’s anybody who has done what Lou did as player, a captain, a premiership captain, 250 games, was the epitome of the cheekiness of the Collingwood rover and grew up in the shadow of Victoria Park,’’ McGuire said.

0a02b246c503381179d1c4050e181281

media_cameraCollingwood players with Lou Richards at the unveiling of his statue outside the Holden Centre. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
fca94da2794e30ed16980a4b8c937142

media_cameraLou Richards, celebrates his 90th birthday with Alex Fasolo and Eddie McGuire.
“His grandfather, Charlie Pannam, was in the early Collingwood teams. His brother best on ground in the ‘53 Grand Final. The Pannam-Richards dynasty is still the greatest dynasty in football in terms of games played.

“And then, once Louy’s footy career was finished, he turned a suburban game played in one city into what has become the biggest sporting and media production business in Australia... he was the pioneer.

“He made football entertaining with League Teams, World of Sport, Wide World of Sport, the Sunday footy show and of course calling the football,

“He was the difference between the Sun News Pictorial being then No.1 selling newspaper in the country for many years.

“He was more than a legend.’’

Vale Lou, an ornament to the game, an absolute legend, the world is a sadder place with your passing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Lou Richards passes away (all tributes to the legend)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back