Expansion Lowest finals crowd since WW1...

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets look at 2012 compared to 2017 for Giants home games at Spotless

Round 9 vs Essendon (11887)
Round 12 vs Richmond (7538)
Round 16 vs Adelaide (7669)
Round 18 vs Collingwood (8102)
Round 19 vs Port Adelaide (6811)
Round 23 vs North Melbourne (6696)

Now compare that to this year

Round 2 vs Gold Coast (8022)
Round 8 vs Collingwood (11360)
Round 9 vs Richmond (10677)
Round 11 vs Essendon (13671)
Round 15 vs Geelong (15007)
Round 17 vs Sydney (21924)
Round 19 vs Fremantle (11233)
Round 22 vs West Coast (15751)
Semi Final vs West Coast (14865)

So there has been a noticable improvement in the averages at Spotless with only 1 sub 10,000 crowd in 2017 compared to 5 in 2012.

thats pretty impressive, cant really argue with those figures

I know what you're referring to....but it doesn't show what you're claiming. Most of those membership expenses are almost certainly going to be advertising and promotion (membership tents and the like). You're trying to tell me that a member signs up and GWS lose money because of it, which unless they're paying their membership processing people insane dollars isn't the case. The bulk of those expenses are going to be incurred regardless.

Then what is their $5M+ marketing budget spent on, and why is the revenue so low (~$82 per member....roughly half the figure for next lowest club)?

More likely, a lot of those memberships are given away/heavily discounted and/or the benefits that go with those memberships are disproportionately large.

GWS season ticket memberships do cost less on a per game basis than Swans season ticket memberships for
reserved seats in an equivalent area. But is that a bad thing? Surely if the club & AFL are trying to encourage
more people to get to games at Spotless on a regular basis then they need to make it as affordable as possible.
Like people in Melbourne, people in Sydney are not immune to the cost of going to games every second week.

If it was a Melb side, 5k would have travelled. Fair play to the eagles people who went.

Compare it to Sydney standards, not elsewhere
Went up for the Dogs prelim and it was pretty obvious more than half of the 20k were Dogs supporters. Figure doesn't really surprise me. In time it'll probably increase - it's a great ground for spectators.

Here's my opinion on this,

Western NSW is a harsh, scarred, and desolate, and the iron soils are rusted Orange. On the banks of intermittent creeks stand the few White gum trees as a Testament to the parched landscape; this barren place can Crush the strongest of spirits. Legend tells us that across all of western NSW giant people once roamed, the Jogungs or the Goolagahs, 3.3 metre tall Giants who cooked flesh in the Charcoal from volcanic lava and had powerful Thundering growls. These mythological creatures can be thought of as a symbol of the land, merciless, strong and Giant.

Then in the late sixties, on the Macquarie River near Bathurst, a 16.6kg stone club was found, this was not new, as early European settlers sinking mineshafts along creek beds in Western NSW reported finding Enormous club-shaped rocks, some up to 40 kilograms in weight. More surprisingly, as far east as Blacktown, Large footprints were uncovered of a Pleistocene giant walking through the charcoal ash from a volcanic explosion. The Giants were real. The harsh land, testing of a person’s mettle, had created Giant people.

We are the Giants.

Are you Brett Kirk?

Ok mate, all good. No point having a rational discussion with someone who doesn't want to engage. From now on I'll refer to your team as the Greater Inner Western Sydney Giants.
Engage? I just gave you a bucket load of information.

Your reply was basically being caught with your hand in the cookie jar. Funny stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Engage? I just gave you a bucket load of information.

Your reply was basically being caught with your hand in the cookie jar. Funny stuff.

Learnt long ago not to try and have a rational conversation with someone that starts a retort by trying to belittle the others' opinion; shows inferiority issues and less than average intelligence usually. I could give a reasonable answer to all your points but quite frankly I couldn't be arsed. Good luck for the remainder of the year.

Learnt long ago not to try and have a rational conversation with someone that starts a retort by trying to belittle the others' opinion; shows inferiority issues and less than average intelligence usually. I could give a reasonable answer to all your points but quite frankly I couldn't be arsed. Good luck for the remainder of the year.
So instead of replying you complain of people belittling you and go on a rant yourself.

Oook.

So instead of replying you complain of people belittling you and go on a rant yourself.

Oook.

Nice one, I'll try and type slower for you next time. Freo, lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is this a topic? It's a soulless franchise at home against a team on the other side of the country with bloated entry fees. I think it was a great crowd when you consider the reality of the game.

The numerous ones i pointed out.

Its ok. It happens.
Youll do better next time.

Righteo, should've taken my own advice. I can jump puddles, right?

Why is this a topic? It's a soulless franchise at home against a team on the other side of the country with bloated entry fees. I think it was a great crowd when you consider the reality of the game.

Move the franchise further west to where it belongs, then you'll see the soul. People out in the country, live and eat AFL then die wearing their colours.

Ok mate, all good. No point having a rational discussion with someone who doesn't want to engage. From now on I'll refer to your team as the Greater Inner Western Sydney Giants.
I dont get this. I know where Sydney is and I know which way is west and Spotless seems to line up with that. Its still located in the metroplitan area of Sydney. Just like Footscray and Melton are Western Melbourne despite being 30ks or so from eachother

Ticket prices are a bit of a cop out, doesn't stop other finals gets good numbers, last year there were more dogs fans there who also had to cover accommodation and travel expenses

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Lowest finals crowd since WW1...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back