Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Luke Ball has not told any club not to draft him. What are his actions saying to the clubs?

2. Collingwood have made no announcement that they are after him in the draft. In fact, we have not guaranteed we would take him at 30 if available. How do you know what assurances have been made? Fact? Would common sense not tell you that there have been assurances if Ball has nominated them and not spoken with other clubs?

Luke Ball is not even training with Collingwood at the moment. That would be a bit embarrasing coming home from Arizona if he did not last until pick 30?

He is clearly trying to maximise his chances of playing at Collingwood, and the way he is doing it is walking a thin line. But i can't see that he has breached any rules at yet. So why doesn't every player do this every draft when they decide the grass looks greener at a certain club? Just act like a complete c_nt to everyone else to get what you want. Would become a farce.

And there I was saying that Dave86 might have a reasonable view on the subject. I did wonder how he ended up being a Collingwood supporter.

Thats starting to go a bit too far. The rules are already massively restrictive and tight as it stands. Forcing players to undertake medicals against their wishes is wrong. I've already said it but it's an issue of civil rights. I don't think anyone should be forced to do that. I'd be very disappointed in the AFL if they ever introduced rules like that.

But nobody's forcing anyone.

If for example, the AFL introduces a draft camp type set up for delisted players so everyone can do interviews and examinations with them, as a condition of ND nomination, Luke Ball or anyone else isn't being forced to submit to that. Instead they can not go in the ND and play in the NFL or anywhere else they like. That's their free choice.

Such an idea can and should be introduced by the AFL.

The real issue here is the employers right to have sufficient information about a prospective employee, in order to make an informed decision whether or not to recruit them.

All clubs should have the right to the same level of information - medical examinations and interviews. It is wrong for one club to be treated preferentially to any (or all) of the others. I don't care whether that club is Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon or Fremantle.

To this end, I think the AFL should make it compulsory for all players nominating for the draft to make themselves available for a medical examination by an AFL appointed doctor. The AFL would act as an independent mediator, distributing the results to all interested parties.

As for refusing interviews... Players should be compelled to accept interviews by all clubs or none at all - their choice. Unlike the medical examination though, I don't see how the AFL could act as an independent umpire - unless all the interested clubs were to provide them with a set of questions to be asked to the player, with the player required to answer all questions. The answers could then be distributed to all the clubs.

Unfortunately, neither of these are in the draft rules at present. I suspect the AFL will change the rules accordingly, particularly with regards to the medical examination. Effectively they will be shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

This post is spot on.

What! If an employee wants to work for a particular employer, and that employer requests a medical and the potential employee accepts that condition, then of course a medical may take place. You will note here the voluntary nature of the medical examination. What you are proposing is that if an employer wants to headhunt a potential employee, that potential employee had better bend over. They may do it that way in Adelaide, but this is Melbourne friend.

You belong in Adelaide with our metal clad friend. What do you mean supposedly player rights advocate numbat? The AFLPA supports free agency as does Luke Ball. Luke Ball is well, well well within his rights, and it is the AFL that is borderline transgressing the law. If they attempt to tighten the rules in response to Ball, expect the levy to break and free agency to come in.

But Free Agency has NOT come in yet so your post is pretty much not relevant. If and when it does come in it's up to the player who and how they deal.

The issues that is Luke Ball is NOT a problem of Lukes. He's not conducted himself in a manner outside the rules and nor has Collingwood.

The issue is with the AFL. While there is no free agency and a player can go to any club which should choose them in the draft the AFL needs to ensure that clubs have access to information. I think Luke Ball will be used as a catalyst for massive change in the way things are done, certainly until free agency comes in.

But Free Agency has NOT come in yet so your post is pretty much not relevant. If and when it does come in it's up to the player who and how they deal.

Huh? No sh*t Colombo, the point is Ball is not doing anything illegal and Demetriou said as much on SEN today.

The only objection is a 'moral / ethical' one and I notice the whinging, by and large, is being made by those who want or lost his services.

And there are two views on the ethics of this. The ability of a player to control his destiny to some degree and whether a competition can force someone to submit medical results - which luckily they can't. Suck it up babies.

I think he'll go to Collingwood.

Not disappointed, not jealous, I'd rather Essendon not pick him up.

There seems to be a lot of late mail saying Essendon/Melbourne are out of the race.

I think the wildcard is Brisbane.

That said, if we can assemble a midfield of Jolly (R), Ball, Pendlebury, Didak & Swan, we'll have one of the top tier midfields in the AFL.

Personally I would prefer a system that either allows players a method of going to the team of their choice, or one that doesn't.

I agree and think any free agency should involve this.

Basically something along the lines of what will happen with the uncontracted players the GC17 pick up.

Any player that doesn't get traded during trade week can submit a request to the AFL to be traded to his preferred club.

A mediating team of say 5 impartial knowledgable observers, steps in and weighs up pros, cons and finally value of said player.

The Mediating team then indicate to the intended club within 1 week (basically a free agency week, starting Mon to Fri following trade week), this is what we have decided this player is worth, be it picks and/or players. Indicating many different scenarios for which the intended club to choose from. No other clubs can become involved after trade week. Must be a swap between 2 clubs only.

Team that currently has the player, has no say in the proceedings and is reliant on Mediating team to decide it's return, on said player. Encourages them to trade or rely on a mediating team for an outcome.

Encourages Intended team to trade or is basically told what said players value is and either except it or see that player head to the ND. Fair less likely to get a steel in this scenario.

There seems to be a lot of late mail saying Essendon/Melbourne are out of the race.

I think the wildcard is Brisbane.

That said, if we can assemble a midfield of Jolly (R), Ball, Pendlebury, Didak & Swan, we'll have one of the top tier midfields in the AFL.

Why would Ball improve your midfield when he couldn't improve St Kildas?

You do realise there's a reason he's leaving and why he wasn't played. Lyon is a smart coach.

Didak is not a mid and was shown up in the pressure cooker of finals. Swan is just a flanker and Pendlebury is soft. Nowhere near a top tier midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon are ****ed then if you think that midfield is no good.

Not to mention your horrific forward line.

Ball is a scrapper and gets his hands dirty, we have needed his type since Burns retired, to feed it out to the silk in Pendlebury/Beams/Sidebottom/Thomas/Didak/Davis.

Swanny can beat anyone one on one in the league but he's not a real hit out shark.

The trouble with this draft camp idea is players are delisted at all different times leading up to the draft, they are all over the place that it would be a logistical nightmare and probably see numbers of delisted players nominating for the draft drop significantly as it would be too much trouble for most of them to go through when the chances of getting picked up are already slim

The other issue is privacy, he may not want 10 clubs to know about a medical condition he may have, especially if it was one that could be exploited when he plays them next year

Sure all draftees usually have to give up this info, but they dont have much choice if they want to get picked up and really if anything are carrying anything the clubs are worried about they wont get them anyway, a player in Balls position is different

No they wont because once the two years expires Ball will negotiate a new contract with Collingwood which should even the price out to @400k. Interloping clubs will enjoy no such benefit - the reason being because Ball wants to play for Collingwood, not become a bonded slave.

Price is the same for everyone. What if he has a bad or two year. He will get the same from Collingwood as any other club. You are thinking of his value now, but you are only as good as your last performance. I am pretty sure his contract is 3 years by the way.

Essendon are ****ed then if you think that midfield is no good.

Not to mention your horrific forward line.

Ball is a scrapper and gets his hands dirty, we have needed his type since Burns retired, to feed it out to the silk in Pendlebury/Beams/Sidebottom/Thomas/Didak/Davis.

Swanny can beat anyone one on one in the league but he's not a real hit out shark.

What i find funny is how Beams and Sidebottom are always mentioned on these forums as class players. When were they drafted? When was Pendlebury drafted? Thomas isn't up to it. Davis goes missing when the pressure is really on and defensively is nothing. You have more issues than you think and Luke Ball will not solve them.

Collingwood supporters keep telling Melbourne supporters we are 4-6years away from a flag attempt or even finals. Yet Collingwood are now in the window with young players and older players that couldn't do it earlier on.

What I find funny is how Beams and Sidebottom are always mentioned on these forums as class players.

You need to switch on the 1SF where Sidebottom played on a white hot Bernie Vince (he had claims to being the form player of the AFL) & not only took him on but got over 27 disposals of his own. Beams finished 4th in the overall RS.

Yet Collingwood are now in the window with young players and older players that couldn't do it earlier on.

We have a nice blend. In Our PF side, 13 of the 22 were 21 or younger & Pendlebury, 1 of our best youngsters was injured (14/22).

We've added Jolly, who is a top tier ruckman & is in the prime of his career. If we add Ball (25), the hole in our mid to late 20's will be complete.

Melbourne's list is allover the shop & you have Bruce, Davey, Green & McDonald who will be gone by the time your youngsters develop.

What i find funny is how Beams and Sidebottom are always mentioned on these forums as class players. When were they drafted? When was Pendlebury drafted? Thomas isn't up to it. Davis goes missing when the pressure is really on and defensively is nothing. You have more issues than you think and Luke Ball will not solve them.

Collingwood supporters keep telling Melbourne supporters we are 4-6years away from a flag attempt or even finals. Yet Collingwood are now in the window with young players and older players that couldn't do it earlier on.

Sidebottom and Beams are class players. Do Melbourne have youngsters any better? It's not normally the job of Essendon fans to defend Collingwood, but mate get off the sauce. Davis does go missing in really big games, he has a proven history. But he was still very good in the H and A. I really like Sidebottom, the kid just loves the big occasion. Not as good as Hurley but not everyone can be that good. :D

with no lucus lloyd lovett mcphee he will be spewing if they pick him!

Last year Lucas offered nothing.

Lovett played as many games for the opposition as he did for Essendon.

McPhee played a few good ones but his hands and thinking are terrible.

Lloyd. He will be a loss. Not for his output on the side but for the fact he takes the best defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back