Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with the first part, not so sure about the second. No younger players are putting themselves up for a pay rise right and and I'm expecting a reasonable cull of seniors at the end of the year.

Really don't want the club making a play for Jackson when its the midfield that's in dire straits.

Just wait a few years until he becomes an RFA and use him as the piece to push for a flag if the rebuild headed that way.

Very much hope he re-signs so WCE don't attempt something stupid.
I'm pretty sure you can't trade your first pick this year anyway due to how many 1st round picks you've traded in recent years. I can't see Jackson leaving via the PSD as he doesn't seem the type to do that.

My reasons why I think your salary cap is tight is that I got told by a WA Footy Development Officer I work with that Brad Shepard was not paid out fully this year and most of his payment will come next year due to the Eagles salary cap issues. While according to multiple contract information online McGovern is the second highest paid player in the league currently and the fat part of his contract is in the next two years . Also when Kelly signed his contract details were believed to be around 5 million over 6 years with the highest paid years in his contract was believed to be targeted for after Hurn and Kennedy retired. If Jackson cost 900$K+ a year that's a lot to be paying three players. Darling is on around 750K (again that's what has been reported) over the next two years and would be very hard to trade as well.

I don't think you have a pick currently in the Mid Season Draft but surely the Eagles will be able open up a spot by paying out a contract or placing someone on the long term injury list. There are a couple of excellent ruck prospects like Sandringham Dragon 202cm tall Max Ramsden who could fill your need for a young ruck without requiring you to trade for one.
The athletic ruckman to “keep an eye out” for in lead up to the mid-season draft
That would then enable you to use your first rounder and two second rounders on mids.

In hindsight I'd trade pick 1 for Mcpharlin any day of the week, yet he was the steaknives in that deal

McPharlin/Croad for what ended up being Hodge/Mitchell isn't even close to being worth it

To confirm, this is the Luke Jackson thread, ploz keep on track, thanks.

I just wish Melbourne played the Eagles in round 23 with an Eagles win meaning they finish 16th instead of 18th, Melbourne already have top spot locked away and Jackson still having not signed with suspicions about him going to West Coast.
I’m pretty confident this Melbourne team wouldn’t be tanking. We saw
What momentum did last year leading into finals.

If the roles were reversed would you accept 2 x picks 14-18 and Ben Brown for Andrew Brayshaw? No.

And as good as Brayshaw is, Jackson is more valuable due to his position and scope.

It's massive double standards.

Jackson more valuable than Brayshaw? Lmfao. You are joking. Jackson is super raw. Sometimes it doesn’t translate. Brayshaw is 22 years old, looks a lock for AA at this stage. He was leading the coaches votes until last week.

Jackson more valuable than Brayshaw? Lmfao. You are joking. Jackson is super raw. Sometimes it doesn’t translate. Brayshaw is 22 years old, looks a lock for AA at this stage. He was leading the coaches votes until last week.
Are you joking? Most clubs would take Jackson over Brayshaw. Brayshaw is a pure accumulator and midfielders grow on trees. Jackson has already produced in a grand final. You're not paying for what Jackson is now, you're paying for what he could become. And that's a generational talent. Brayshaw is a good player but not a generational talent like Jackson.

Jackson isn't raw at all. Already produced in a grand final and would be in 90% of teams #1 Ruck.

Your bias is clouding your judgment.

Are you joking? Most clubs would take Jackson over Brayshaw. Brayshaw is a pure accumulator and midfielders grow on trees. Jackson has already produced in a grand final. You're not paying for what Jackson is now, you're paying for what he could become. And that's a generational talent. Brayshaw is a good player but not a generational talent like Jackson.

Jackson isn't raw at all. Already produced in a grand final and would be in 90% of teams #1 Ruck.

He wouldn’t be our number 1 ruck.

As is your bias clouding you. I’ve watched footy a long long time. Plenty of promise never amounts to much. Tom Boyd played one of the greatest GF but proved to be very much a one hit wonder. Jackson is much better than him, but he hasn’t produced for long enough for me to be convinced long term. He doesn’t kick many goals for a team who is scoring heavily. His clearances numbers are good but not great, but his mobility and agility are next level in close. He doesn’t have a huge tank end to end just yet either. Very much a work in progress.

As is your bias clouding you. I’ve watched footy a long long time. Plenty of promise never amounts to much. Tom Boyd played one of the greatest GF but proved to be very much a one hit wonder. Jackson is much better than him, but he hasn’t produced for long enough for me to be convinced long term. He doesn’t kick many goals for a team who is scoring heavily. His clearances numbers are good but not great, but his mobility and agility are next level in close. He doesn’t have a huge tank end to end just yet either. Very much a work in progress.
Darcy is averaging more goals assists score involvements then the messiah.
He also averages double the clearances.
Jackson is in a good system he’s won a flag but the dees would of won without him.
Now the anchors system is sound we are making rejects and mature age vfl picks look like top 100 players.
Brayshaw is a different beast and would still be there in the coalface every minute of every game carrying the team if he played for suns or north.
Jackson is younger and has huge potential to be a star of the game but at the moment he’s a young gun but along way off the top 30 players on output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

14 disposals, 14 hitouts and 3 goals is one of the great grand finals ?

He was very good, but his GF is morphing into something it wasn't as the years go by.

Brayshaw is a terrific young mid, but I don't see the sheer brilliance in his game that the very best mids possess. He's not as quick as the likes of Judd and doesn't have the size and strength of the likes of Petracca.

He's a smart accumulator, but he's not explosive and nor does he ever do the incredible.

This isn't a knock on Brayshaw, but I never see him being close to the best player in the competition no matter how consistent he becomes, or is.

Some Melbourne supporters may not agree with me, but I also don't see Jackson as a no.1 ruck. Jackson is an incredibly mobile follower that is as good below his knees as I've seen for a player of his height. He really does become an extra mid around the contest. He'll continue to improve his marking and he'll kick more goals. Btw, I think he can be far more valuable than your typical no.1 ruck. He will just never be dominant in ruck contests around the ground. But that's largely overrated. His assets are more valuable than that.

14 disposals, 14 hitouts and 3 goals is one of the great grand finals ?

He was very good, but his GF is morphing into something it wasn't as the years go by.

Brayshaw is a terrific young mid, but I don't see the sheer brilliance in his game that the very best mids possess. He's not as quick as the likes of Judd and doesn't have the size and strength of the likes of Petracca.

He's a smart accumulator, but he's not explosive and nor does he ever do the incredible.

This isn't a knock on Brayshaw, but I never see him being close to the best player in the competition no matter how consistent he becomes, or is.

Some Melbourne supporters may not agree with me, but I also don't see Jackson as a no.1 ruck. Jackson is an incredibly mobile follower that is as good below his knees as I've seen for a player of his height. He really does become an extra mid around the contest. He'll continue to improve his marking and he'll kick more goals. Btw, I think he can be far more valuable than your typical no.1 ruck. He will just never be dominant in ruck contests around the ground. But that's largely overrated. His assets are more valuable than that.
I compare Brayshaw to Walsh. Would you say that Jackson is worth more than Walsh at the moment? Jackson is a good player but Melbourne supporters are all going on potential. To me right now he is worth 2 x First rounders, 1 being Top 10.

I compare Brayshaw to Walsh. Would you say that Jackson is worth more than Walsh at the moment? Jackson is a good player but Melbourne supporters are all going on potential. To me right now he is worth 2 x First rounders, 1 being Top 10.
The hype surrounding Jackson way exceeds output.

I love him because he's 20 and just a great prospect. He's very physical for a 20 year old tall. Most have to learn that, but it comes naturally to him. He's 5 years from his best footy and already he impacts games.

I agree with the Brayshaw comparison to Walsh.

I also agree Jackson is worth two first rounders, but I'd want one to be top 5. Melbourne gave up pick 3 for a player that is right now the best player from his draft, so expecting at least one top 5 pick in return is reasonable imo.

But I'm virtually certain he'll stay at the Dees.

Thats if he wants to go their it wont be a bidding war between the two WA sides.
Never said it would be. I really hope he re-signs but we’ve climbed the mountain already and have the best recruiter in the business. If he goes, we’ll make the best of it.

Goodwin was asked the question post-match:

“He’s a terrific young player,” Goodwin said. “We’re really confident with where that [negotiation] sits with him, and I’m sure something will be done in the not too distant future.”

Goodwin said you only had to watch how the No.3 pick plays for the Demons and connections Jackson has on and off field with his teammates to recognise how invested he is in the future of the football club. He will return to Perth this week as the Demons play West Coast at Optus Stadium in round nine.
“The relationship he has with his teammates is extraordinary, and hopefully we will get something done in the not too distant future,” Goodwin said.

Goodwin was asked the question post-match:

“He’s a terrific young player,” Goodwin said. “We’re really confident with where that [negotiation] sits with him, and I’m sure something will be done in the not too distant future.”

Goodwin said you only had to watch how the No.3 pick plays for the Demons and connections Jackson has on and off field with his teammates to recognise how invested he is in the future of the football club. He will return to Perth this week as the Demons play West Coast at Optus Stadium in round nine.
“The relationship he has with his teammates is extraordinary, and hopefully we will get something done in the not too distant future,” Goodwin said.
That's funny I remember hearing the exact same thing about cerra.

(Except I do truly believe Jackson will re-sign)

Jackson wants to go to Freo. Don't know what they'd give up but you'd think Serong would be involved.
It would be picks and not players I would say. Most of the young talent is signed up already. Maybe someone like a Lobb would be included

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back