News Lyon: Cats will play off for flag

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was an interesting article as his predcition does go against the grain of most "analysts".

Also I have always thought Lyon wasn't Geelongs biggest fan, so the words at the end of his article about "this great club" were somewhat surprising.

Perhaps Geelongs performances over past 3-4 years have gained the respect of the formerly critical

I know D Brereton for one was scathing about Geelong. He would compare fans adulation of individuals such as G Ablett Snr to Hawthorns team success. But credit where its due, Brereton didn't continue potting Geelong instead he acknowledged their success.

Somewhat off topic. My apologies

Exactly, pear tree. That's what I was doing. My opinion is your football knowledge is below par and light years behind Gary Lyon's, who you pissed on with a kiddy snipe.

One thing, you've managed to maintain your 16 y.o level and not only in crankiness. Well done you.:p

Lyon, as a footy commentator, is a tosser. You, as a poster, appear to be a w***er.

4326f39cc6e2.gif

Lyon, as a footy commentator, is a tosser. You, as a poster, appear to be a w***er.

Anyone who stands up for Gady Lyon on a public forum has either got to be the tool himself masquerading under an alias or a football ignoramus relative/friend.

This is particularly perplexing given Gady has no made effort in hiding, proud of it in fact, his disdain for Geelong for as long as I can remember. Why on Earth anyone who purports to support Geelong would hold his so-called "expertise" in high regard is truly beyond me.

He probably thinks his Demons are THE next big thing, so why not divert the attention to Geelong. When we've been in seemingly better positions, he's not rated us as highly as he seems to be subscribing to at present. Very obscure.

A really weighty contribution. Must have taken a long time for you to process.

Anyone who doesn't think Gary Lyon has a good football brain knows nothing about the game let alone him. He was an inspirational leader at Melbourne. I've seen the way he coaches unders footy and he's excellent. Which is probably why the AFL uses him to coach at the Australian Sports Academy. And I know Chris Scott rated him as the coach of the international side.

So you know better than the AFL, the Australian Sports Academy and our coach. Yeah! Right!

That doesn't mean he always gets it right. Who does? When you have to write 1000 words a week, be controversial and opinionated you're going to upset some people and get it wrong sometimes. People who don't like him will always remember those times and choose to forget the times he's right.

As the saying goes. Those who can do. Those who can't just criticise. Just as those with a brain post thoughtful posts. Those who are tree swingers just insult.

As the saying goes. Those who can do. Those who can't just criticise. Just as those with a brain post thoughtful posts. Those who are tree swingers just insult.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Considering the content of your most recent posts I find this comment hilariously ironic.

You can rest easy Go Hoops, if you hadn't already notice Gady is big boy now. I’m sure that he is more than capable of taking care of himself and doesn’t need some random defending his honour on an internet board. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should re-read them zandy. You might find some content there. Oh and grasp what the meaning of forum is. Then again. Maybe not.:rolleyes:

Glad you found something to amuse you though.

A really weighty contribution. Must have taken a long time for you to process.

Anyone who doesn't think Gary Lyon has a good football brain knows nothing about the game let alone him. He was an inspirational leader at Melbourne. I've seen the way he coaches unders footy and he's excellent. Which is probably why the AFL uses him to coach at the Australian Sports Academy. And I know Chris Scott rated him as the coach of the international side.

So you know better than the AFL, the Australian Sports Academy and our coach. Yeah! Right!

That doesn't mean he always gets it right. Who does? When you have to write 1000 words a week, be controversial and opinionated you're going to upset some people and get it wrong sometimes. People who don't like him will always remember those times and choose to forget the times he's right.

Spot on :thumbsu:

Don't quite understand the hostility towards Go Hoops here.

Yes, Gary Lyon is a tool, who is usually afraid to give a controversial opinion so merely sits on the fence on most issues, but he definitely knows his football. Anyone that listens to him on MMM during a game would realise that. And my guess is he knows our new coach better than any armchair expert that posts here.

But yeah, NFI what started the attacks on Go Hoops. Pretty unnecessary...

Exactly, pear tree. That's what I was doing. My opinion is your football knowledge is below par and light years behind Gary Lyon's, who you pissed on with a kiddy snipe.

One thing, you've managed to maintain your 16 y.o level and not only in crankiness. Well done you.:p

Another thing, one of us resorted to personal insults - and it wasn't me.

Well done you.

Another thing, one of us resorted to personal insults - and it wasn't me.

Well done you.

You keep digging yourself further into a hole. My response was to you describing Lyon as an "assclown" in your highly informative first post here. That's not personal insult? Yeah! Right!

My posts have had content regarding Lyon. Pointing out his attibutes and how highly regarded he is by people who know football. Not only his on-field ability and leadership -ask Balmey - but what he's done for the AFL at the Australian Sports Academy and for junior football. And that he has high regard for Scott and vice versa.

Throw in that he could have had the Carlton or Melbourne coaching jobs had he wanted them. The best you can do is come back with lame inaccurate ad hominem posts with no meat and little relevance.

You don't appear to have the insight to separate your personal dislike for him from what he has written here or what he's achieved and how highly he's regarded by people with football nous. Lyon has pumped us up in this article. My guess is partly because he rates Chris Scott. I can only imagine what he'll cop from his haters when he writes something critical no matter how constructive it might be.

I think he's overstated our chances is the article. But he's no grandstand hero. He's walked the walk and has got post football roles that demonstrate he's highly regarded by people who know the game.

Thanks burto and E S for your posts.

You keep digging yourself further into a hole. My response was to you describing Lyon as an "assclown" in your highly informative first post here. That's not personal insult? Yeah! Right!

So let me get this established. An insulting remark about Garry Lyon (which I fully intended), is actually a personal insult levelled directly at you? Even though I have no idea who you are? Remarkable, truly remarkable.

Yes, I think all Geelong fans should refrain from any criticism of any ex-player, coach, official, no matter which club. After all, they have "walked the walk" haven't they? (Well Lyon hasn't coached but everyone knows he's a master coach in waiting)

We can't have dissent and differing opinions among the common populace, that would not do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go Hoops,

It’s not long ago that Partridge told us all that the Western Bullies were at pretty much full strength when we belted them last year and that there was no evidence of flu in the Bullies camp leading up to that game. Reckon he was the only Cat or Bully who didn’t know that was crap.

So go easy on him ‘cos he’s not hitting the target too often at present.:)

Partridge,

The way I see it the point of all the stuff that is going on in this thread has nothing to do with the right of anyone to criticise what people write but about how hammering someone personally for no other reason than you don’t like ‘em does nothing to lift the standard of conversation. In fact it does the opposite.

I’m no fan of the way Lyon carries on but I recognise he does have footy cred. To suggest he doesn’t have a good footy brain is farfetched to put it politely. I can remember Balmey speaking in glowing terms about his footy smarts when he was coaching Melbourne. Nigel Lappin and a few others who were coached by him in the international team also complimented him on his footy smarts. Also, it looks like he and our coach have mutual respect for one anothers football knowledge.

I’d quit while I was behind if I were you.;)

BTW: For what it’s worth, personal means “particular to a given individual”. That can be any “given individual”.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Lyon: Cats will play off for flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back