Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

Best thing Matt Rosa said all month: “we would like to add players with better running capabilities, and Finn’s definitely one of those sorts of players,”

The biggest flaw with Dodo was his infatuation with talls, and lack of priority of players who can run and pressure (not strong aerobically). This is the first thing Rosa is trying to address at the helm.

Honestly some of us have been banging on about how this team cannot run out/ pressure/games/seasons for 10+ years. I think I start posting about it in 2013-14.

It to this day boggles my mind.

Geelong try for a premiership: bring in Isaac smith
Melbourne try for premiership: ed Langdon
Carlton start moving up the ladder: Blake Acres, Ollie Hollands.
Watch St kilda get going with Hill, Wilson, NWM, MacCrae running around.

For us players we’ve added recently with a strong tank: Durham, Martin, Duursma and Roberts…. All impact immediately.

Obviously it’s not that simple, but after watching the repeat sprint efforts of Richmond’s smalls, and Hawthorn win premierships with Hill, Smith, Birchall, Puop running all day. It’s pretty extraordinary how far we missed the boat by….

Based on what vozzo/Rosa have told the Age I really hope we don't go back to parish and/or shiel being one of our main midfield rotations.
Give caldwell/durham/hobbs as much opportunity as possible and if tsatas is physically ready him too.
When hobbs had to play as one of our main mids in mid 23 (due to injuries) he and Caldwell worked pretty well with merrett (the kings bday game a highlight). Give him a good run to see if he has it.
Parish should get the same treatment shiel got this season, start the season in 2s and work on your weaknesses (particularly how he covers the ground when its not a stoppage) before we consider you in the 1s.

Based on what vozzo/Rosa have told the Age I really hope we don't go back to parish and/or shiel being one of our main midfield rotations.
Give caldwell/durham/hobbs as much opportunity as possible and if tsatas is physically ready him too.
When hobbs had to play as one of our main mids in mid 23 (due to injuries) he and Caldwell worked pretty well with merrett (the kings bday game a highlight). Give him a good run to see if he has it.
Parish should get the same treatment shiel got this season, start the season in 2s and work on your weaknesses (particularly how he covers the ground when its not a stoppage) before we consider you in the 1s.
Shiel started in the VFL because he spent most of the pre season catching up on the injury front. Had nothing to do with him working on any weakness. If he bounced straight into form and did not also have a couple more minor injury issues he would have played earlier.

Shiel started in the VFL because he spent most of the pre season catching up on the injury front. Had nothing to do with him working on any weakness. If he bounced straight into form and did not also have a couple more minor injury issues he would have played earlier.
That's true but it still took a fair while for him to break in and when he did make it he seemed to have really focused on tackling/physicality in the contest.

I’m convinced Scott will play whoever gives us the best chance to win, until finals are out of reach. If that’s Shiel parish and setterfield I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s on Rosa to change the direction. Hence why I wanted us to cut list deeper.

Parish will play in any side he’s fit for. I just hope last season made him realise he isn’t on the same level as the stars of this comp and will be required to pair at stoppage, run two ways and tackle.

Skills can probably over ride running power but we lack both which has shown.

When we win, it is easy to name the guys who are nearly always prevalent in the votes. The skilful guys who have an "on" game. Redman, Ridley, Caldwell, Durham, Martin etc. When the 50:50 (at best) guys go well, we looks a million bucks, see Shiel, see Parish etc.

When the skills are off, we suffer as a group and it shows. Our over reliance on the top few guys needs to improve.

When looking at best players under 23, under 22, under 21, we really do have very few. An indictment on development? perhaps but the opportunities need to be taken now by Hobbs, Tsatas, Davey Jnr etc. to make those spots there own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

Back