Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it really interesting that players from certain teams do better than others once leaving. For example - Melbournes players are puss when they leave (see rivers, frawley, maloney, the overpayed number one draft spud to GWS, that spud who went to north, that other spud who went to west coast, and that super spud who went to freo) while others get better ie Kennedy to WC, betts to adelaide, waite *maybe* to north. They have had some duds too though, ie Fev to Brisbane

Gibbs had a shocker last night looked completely dis interested but is the type of personality that will have a strong game next week. Club loves Gibbs and vice versa so this is not going to happen. Murphy is another that won't be traded as same predicament with Gibbs - Yarran is another and Kreuzer the other.

Is all the blame to go on the players? Not sure and not sure I agree.

We need to improve the depth of talent on the list not rip away our best players. We simply don't have enough youth coming through to do that.

Personally my untouchables are - Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas, Simpson, Walker, Henderson, Buckley, Docherty, Cripps, Yarran, Menzel, Tuohy, Bell, Jaksch (this group is young enough and talented enough)

Will be very reluctant to trade Sheehan, Byrne, Everitt and Boekhorst,

You don't have to be Einstein to see when we have the ball we don't know what to do with it (no game plan). This is mainly due to the fact we are missing A-Grade key position players particularly at CHF + FF. Jaksch is two years away from being a regular CHB and in dire need of a Full Back.

Players like Rowe, Armfield, Ellard, Curnow, Jones, White, Watson, Warnock & the likes that should be shopped around or shipped out.

Will consider high first rounders for Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson and Yarran
Will consider late first round picks Kreuzer
will consider high to mid second round picks for Thomas, Bell, Walker, Jamison

How can they be untouchable but then you'll consider offers for them?

FWIW I reckon the four you list as potentially getting high first rounders for are the main trade bait for other clubs, and if Carlton are serious about a rebuild one or two of them have to be offered up. Go into the draft with two first rounders, maybe two second rounders this year and next and do a proper rebuild.

It can't be a total firesale otherwise the club will be dragged down for a few years, but a few of the top talents probably need to be considered as tradeable.

How can they be untouchable but then you'll consider offers for them?

FWIW I reckon the four you list as potentially getting high first rounders for are the main trade bait for other clubs, and if Carlton are serious about a rebuild one or two of them have to be offered up. Go into the draft with two first rounders, maybe two second rounders this year and next and do a proper rebuild.

It can't be a total firesale otherwise the club will be dragged down for a few years, but a few of the top talents probably need to be considered as tradeable.

I'll trade them for top key position players..it's what we need...but on the other hand need high picks for list regeneration for the exits/retiremements of Judd, Carrazzo, Simpson, Waite, Walker..in other words we are DOOMED.

Carlton have to get their off field house in order before there's any point in a firesale.

In my eyes, the Judd trade and the hiring of Malthouse were two things in particular that screamed 'we still think it's 1981'. I can't remember if I said too much about Judd at the time, but I'm clearly on record here as saying the Malthouse signing would end in disaster.

I'm not a huge Mick fan it has to be said, but there is no way known he was ever the right man for the job at Princes Park.

They need to get their heads out of their asses and get with the times. They can start by clearing out some of these back room old boys networks that have too much sway about the place.

Once they've done that, then they can start looking at how to improve the list.

They clean out 50% of the list so they commit to be shit

Now you want a firesale on the half decent players? **** i hate carlton more then most but Trading Gibbs/Murphy/Yarran ect. you might as well pack them up because they'll be worse then melbourne and wont do squat for 10 years

Remember when Melbourne aggressively cleaned out the list? What happened?

Walker is the only one not worth a lot. Henderson a late first rounder - not a top 15 pick though.

The others you'd have to pay up for - you're not going to get them on the basis of their current output...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it really interesting that players from certain teams do better than others once leaving. For example - Melbournes players are puss when they leave (see rivers, frawley, maloney, the overpayed number one draft spud to GWS, that spud who went to north, that other spud who went to west coast, and that super spud who went to freo) while others get better ie Kennedy to WC, betts to adelaide, waite *maybe* to north. They have had some duds too though, ie Fev to Brisbane

From memory he was around top 5 in the Geelong B&F last year, have a very good season, about the only time he hasn't played seniors at Geelong is when he's been injured or returning from injury.

Clubs like Carlton and Melbourne are where high draft picks go to die. They would be better off looking at which clubs are developing low draft picks/rookie listers into decent player, then throw as much money as they can into poaching the staff.

Gibbs is the cream on a cake that has no cake. It is the obvious trade they have to make but they won't.

Agreed. Gibbs is an outside player and that's fine, but his DE% is in the shitter.

R1 v Richmond 50%
R2 v West Coast 65.4%
R3 v Essendon 61.1%
R4 v St Kilda 73.3%
R5 v Collingwood 47.1%

Has he just given up??

Was drafted 10 years ago. Still weird to think about.
If someone had of asked me, I would've said he was still to turn 25. Time flies.

You don't have to be Einstein to see when we have the ball we don't know what to do with it (no game plan). This is mainly due to the fact we are missing A-Grade key position players particularly at CHF + FF.
How can the Dogs pants Adelaide without an A-grade KPP at CHF and FF?

• Boyd is a teenager.
  • Stringer is as old as Menzel who has missed the last two matches.
Henderson towelled up North and St Kilda because we were getting it to him and he was gutrunning. We don't have a working game plan that encourages the players to run and put in the effort like they did against the Saints. The talent will stand up in fits and spurts like they did against Essendon, Richmond and WC, but we need a coach who will get them playing to their potential. They put in and did enough in the second half of last year, but come this year, the players, board, CEO and President clearly don't believe in the coaching department. After we cut the lazy players, then it's up to Mick to get his list working in his third season. It isn't the names on a team sheet with Collingwood fielding Sam Dwyer who is a midget and ball magnet at VFL level like Ellard.

Clubs like Carlton and Melbourne are where high draft picks go to die. They would be better off looking at which clubs are developing low draft picks/rookie listers into decent player, then throw as much money as they can into poaching the staff.
We tried that and it backfired. Now have SOS which will be interesting to see how he goes when he hasn't got ten first round picks every year to build a side

Gibbs had a shocker last night looked completely dis interested but is the type of personality that will have a strong game next week. Club loves Gibbs and vice versa so this is not going to happen. Murphy is another that won't be traded as same predicament with Gibbs - Yarran is another and Kreuzer the other.

Is all the blame to go on the players? Not sure and not sure I agree.

We need to improve the depth of talent on the list not rip away our best players. We simply don't have enough youth coming through to do that.

Personally my untouchables are - Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas, Simpson, Walker, Henderson, Buckley, Docherty, Cripps, Yarran, Menzel, Tuohy, Bell, Jaksch (this group is young enough and talented enough)

Will be very reluctant to trade Sheehan, Byrne, Everitt and Boekhorst,

You don't have to be Einstein to see when we have the ball we don't know what to do with it (no game plan). This is mainly due to the fact we are missing A-Grade key position players particularly at CHF + FF. Jaksch is two years away from being a regular CHB and in dire need of a Full Back.

Players like Rowe, Armfield, Ellard, Curnow, Jones, White, Watson, Warnock & the likes that should be shopped around or shipped out.

So essentially what you're saying is that you want to keep anyone that anyone would be interested in and trade away your rubbish for first round draft picks.

This isn't NFL 1997 on the nintendo man.

One Ray of hope would be for them to lose Kreuzer to free agency this year, and probably receive a 1st pick ala Frawley. Kreuzer isn't worth that much, but I think the formula applied would spit out a first as compo.

Perhaps 5 years ago but the MFC is a different place now and even a fool can see it.

One Ray of hope would be for them to lose Kreuzer to free agency this year, and probably receive a 1st pick ala Frawley. Kreuzer isn't worth that much, but I think the formula applied would spit out a first as compo.

Who is going to pay Kreuzer enough to get tier 1 compo?

Henderson aside, you'd be lucky to be getting second round picks for your 'top tier', and extrapolate out from there for the other names you've listed. Grossly overrating your list based on output and/or age

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back