Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

How can the Dogs pants Adelaide without an A-grade KPP at CHF and FF?

• Boyd is a teenager.
  • Stringer is as old as Menzel who has missed the last two matches.
Henderson towelled up North and St Kilda because we were getting it to him and he was gutrunning. We don't have a working game plan that encourages the players to run and put in the effort like they did against the Saints. The talent will stand up in fits and spurts like they did against Essendon, Richmond and WC, but we need a coach who will get them playing to their potential. They put in and did enough in the second half of last year, but come this year, the players, board, CEO and President clearly don't believe in the coaching department. After we cut the lazy players, then it's up to Mick to get his list working in his third season. It isn't the names on a team sheet with Collingwood fielding Sam Dwyer who is a midget and ball magnet at VFL level like Ellard.

Jones, Casboult, Jaksch, Rowe, Jamison are not A Grade
Henderson definitely is, but better in defence.
Waite is A grade but he is gone so was Fevola.

Jones third pick is fully justified..spud
Casboult just as bad.
Rowe ... may get 10 good games a year out of him
Jamison .. downhill skier struggled to get to 100 games at 27 says it all
Jaksch needs two years and eat more protein or visit Essendons doctors.

Stringer is just about same height as Ted Richards.

Hawthorn
Gunston B to A Grader
Roughead A Grader
Lake A Grader
Frawley A Grader
Gibson A Grader

Geelong, Fremantle, Sydney etc etc have a spine of B-A Graders

Football hasn't changed much - you still need talent...and a game plan.

So essentially what you're saying is that you want to keep anyone that anyone would be interested in and trade away your rubbish for first round draft picks.

This isn't NFL 1997 on the nintendo man.

Comprehension skills not your strong point. The author enquired on a fire sale... I am saying sure..but not with our best players. That's suicide.

Yarran and Menzel are the two I am interested in.

Reckon Yarran is worth about pick 15. So Crows first for Yarran + upgrade of 3rd round pick.

Like most clubs the only players that have real currency would be off-limits. They won't trade the likes of Gibbs/Murphy. Nor do i think they should. You need to have some kind of core of experienced players to build around and to provide leadership etc. Out of their quality players the ones i would contemplate trading would be Kreuzer/Yarran if a good enough deal could be reached.

Generally speaking they probably need to determine the 6-8 guys over 25 that they should keep to provide leadership/structure and then focus on youth to build towards their next premiership tilt. If they can get any trades done for players that are excess to requirements then good for them but realistically i can't see a lot of clubs being too keen. If they can aim to turnover 12 - 15 players in the next 2 years i think that would be around the right balance. Any faster than that and you end up with too many players that won't make the cut.

Probably should set their 1st round pick as off limits but then be willing to offer up 2nd/3rd round for under 25's that fit their list needs over the next few years.

Would make little sense for a team outside the 8 to target their stars. So ill view this from a top 8 side looking to take the next step.
From the top:
Murphy - At his best, very classy. Questions over what the captaincy is doing to his game. If in a better team, would be worthy of a first rd pick.
Gibbs - A la Murphy, it seems to be the intensity he misses. Should be better than he is at the moment. Would be better in a better team. First round pick.
Kruezer - Injuries are a worry. But a good ruckman with the ability to play forward. 1st rd based on talent. 3rd on ability to get on the park. 2nd rd seems fair.
Walker - Shadow of the talent he was promising to be. Again though, in a better team could get back to his best. 2nd rd.
Warnock - Huge presence and a great tap ruckman. Useless around the ground. Would be depth for a team without a lot of rucks. 4th round
Henderson - Better in defence. If a team is looking for a 2nd/3rd tall defender, would pay a 2nd rd pick for him
Yarran - 2nd round. Knows how to play. Just needs consistency.
-----
Outside of that, I wouldn't be selling off the kids or a couple of the vets (Judd, Jamison, Simpson - if they even go on)

Question is, is this the draft to buy into.
Trading Murphy, Gibbs, Kruezer, Yarran, Henderson and Walker rips a lot of their investment in the early rounds in the last decade.
With 6 first round draft picks, plus whatever they get this season, thats 7 cracks at the best kids this year.
Equals a very long rebuild in terms of developing these kids. They would in essence become GWS/GCS in their first couple of years. Possibly worse given the lack of quality experience around them

We actually did as the talent didn't go deep enough.

Unfortunately with judd is just allowed many of the others to sit back while he did everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is how I see it, apart from Malthouses game plan being stuck in 1985, the guy who still does most of the grunt work in that midfield is Judd, which he shouldn't be doing at his age.

This is how I see it, apart from Malthouses game plan being stuck in 1985, the guy who still does most of the grunt work in that midfield is Judd, which he shouldn't be doing at his age.

They shouldn't have traded for him in the first place. You only give up what Carlton gave up for him if you believe you're within an ace of a flag. Carlton were not within an ace of a flag. And that's the problem. They honestly believed they were.

They shouldn't have traded for him in the first place. You only give up what Carlton gave up for him if you believe you're within an ace of a flag. Carlton were not within an ace of a flag. And that's the problem. They honestly believed they were.

Well they wouldn't be the first club to believe they are close to a flag when in reality they aren't. Our club said the same after 2011, look at us now. Sometimes the people running these clubs have been there too long and lose a grip on reality.

Well they wouldn't be the first club to believe they are close to a flag when in reality they aren't. Our club said the same after 2011, look at us now. Sometimes the people running these clubs have been there too long and lose a grip on reality.

That is the Blues no 1 problem right now.

What have they done with there recruiting? Seriously? I'm not saying collingwood is hugely better then carlton list wise but we have been up for so long and look like we have a good future ahead ( touch wood ) and that was with 4 top 10 draft picks in 2's waiting to come in. How do you mess up so bad at such a proud club.. Ugh. I strongly dislike carlton but I actually felt pity last night.

Maybe they should have not done the judd trade, or maybe grew some balls and traded some players away a while ago.. :S

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We actually did as the talent didn't go deep enough.

Unfortunately with judd is just allowed many of the others to sit back while he did everything.

Going by your rubbish logic, aren't more high draft picks just going "to sit back while he did everything"?

We had three #1 draft picks in a row FFS. The problem wasn't trading in Judd for #3 and #4, it was picking garbage footballers with any pick outside of the first round for years on end.

Going by your rubbish logic, aren't more high draft picks just going "to sit back while he did everything"?

We had three #1 draft picks in a row FFS. The problem wasn't trading in Judd for #3 and #4, it was picking garbage footballers with any pick outside of the first round for years on end.
This is pretty obvious people are either trolling or have no idea. Our drafting has been our problem for ten years

You gave up Kennedy for Judd who is the exact type of player you need and is still kicking bags while Judd is on the verge of retirement without having achieved a thing for Carlton.

You also wasted a first rounder on Lucas recently.

You gave up Kennedy for Judd who is the exact type of player you need and is still kicking bags while Judd is on the verge of retirement without having achieved a thing for Carlton.

Take Judd out of our midfield and see how we go. Kennedy is 28 this year so won't be around when we are pushing for finals again so really pointless argument

No. ****ing. Shit.

If anyone seriously thinks Carlton were better off keeping Kennedy and drafting Masten, instead of bringing in Judd you're a ****ing moron with smashed avocado for brains.

Take Judd out of our midfield and see how we go. Kennedy is 28 this year so won't be around when we are pushing for finals again so really pointless argument

Maybe without Judd, your players wouldn't have learned to sit back and let him do it all..

The Judd deal did nothing for you as you achieved nothing with him and now are in the worst position you have been in since the salary cap years.

The best thing that could happen this year for Carlton is the AFL bring in trading of future picks

Gibbs would be a 1st this year and a next year 2nd to first upgrade
Year ran bout the same, maybe 3rd to second upgrade

Just gives heaps more scope to make deals cause a 3rd team doesn't need to be involved, and give teams in the top 8 a better chance to top up. If a club in the top 8 thinks they are close Gibbs could cost a pick 11-18 and a 1 spot downgrade next year best case for them.

The only player Carlton shouldn't consider trading is Cripps. Maybe Menzel.

We got judd in as we were rudderless but we still needed more talent on the list.

The Judd trade would have been fine if we had recruited well from 2009-11. That's the big issue, we got nothing out of 3 drafts in a row

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back