Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is just too good, I know its only Tuesday but tell you what Im keen to celebrate.

So is Mick

13ed72bfb0c0f25609d5ad19976c40d0.jpg

The media see this as a big win "We got our man".. How dare Mick treat the media like the imbeciles they are.
All I've heard from the casual supporter this afternoon is how pathetic it is that football is now run by the media.
exactly.
Barrett, Robbo ("biggest sacking I've been a part of"?), Wilson & co - the need to be seen to breaking news rather than reporting it has tainted their profession.

Well done to Mick though. Set up to leave on his terms, rather unscathed after today.

I was reminded on AFL 360 just what a pack of ruthless bastards the Carlton boards have been over the years. They have sacked at least two favourite sons come coaches in Jezza and Rats, lured premiership coaches in Pagan and Malthouse to the club, and then unceremoniously sacked them.

Therein lies the problem. No patience for poor performance, even if it's a necessary part of a rebuild

exactly.
Barrett, Robbo ("biggest sacking I've been a part of"?), Wilson & co - the need to be seen to breaking news rather than reporting it has tainted their profession.

Well done to Mick though. Set up to leave on his terms, rather unscathed after today.

Yeah, I noticed that. Robbo was quick to back track on that statement. But yeah, the media got their man.
Not for one minute do I think Malthouse was the right man for the job, but I don't believe the media should be the arbiter of that.
The real story here should be the incompetency of the Carlton board, they are the ones who make the big calls, they are the ones who employed Mick based on an assumption that they could make finals - when everyone else knew they needed a rebuild. Now 2 years later they come out and call for a rebuild. This is the most inadequate board since the Schwab/Demons.

exactly.

Quite the contrary. Wasnt a big enough man to quit, so he deleiberately derailed the club in public to force them to sack him quickly. Theres nothing honorable about the way he has handled himslef this year.

Yeah, I noticed that. Robbo was quick to back track on that statement. But yeah, the media got their man.
Not for one minute do I think Malthouse was the right man for the job, but I don't believe the media should be the arbiter of that.
The real story here should be the incompetency of the Carlton board, they are the ones who make the big calls, they are the ones who employed Mick based on an assumption that they could make finals - when everyone else knew they needed a rebuild. Now 2 years later they come out and call for a rebuild. This is the most inadequate board since the Schwab/Demons.

The previous CEO and President hired Malthouse.

Imagine if you were Malthouse today. He'd be a man with means, should be financially secure beyond his wildest dreams as a young man, and he no longer has to drag himself into a job that must have been driving him nuts. He can wake up this morning, have a cup of coffee and look at his options for the future, I would say he'd no doubt return to the media.

I wish I had those options :)

Well done Mick, you're not everyone's cup of tea, but a three time premiership coach (at 2 different clubs) is something to be proud of, and nobody can take that away from you ... not even underachievers like Steven Trigg.

exactly.

I wish I could recall the precise words of Jeff Kennett when he was asked about the difference between the media in politics and the media in football. It was something along the lines of the political media think they are part of politics whereas the football media think they ARE football. Something like that.

I am glad brendon goddard stood up for himself and the rest of the footy community last night on 360. The media created this and none are willing to admit it, as robbo said it is their job to report about football stuff, so if there is no story then to justify a job you start creating stories.

Robbo is a complete twat. i would rather see gerrard and a guest host each week, like former footballers, coaches etc.

I am glad brendon goddard stood up for himself and the rest of the footy community last night on 360. The media created this and none are willing to admit it, as robbo said it is their job to report about football stuff, so if there is no story then to justify a job you start creating stories.

Robbo is a complete twat. i would rather see gerrard and a guest host each week, like former footballers, coaches etc.
The night Mike Sheehan sat in Robbos seat was the best 360 of the year

The night Mike Sheehan sat in Robbos seat was the best 360 of the year

gerrard i like because he doesn't dramatise everything and pretend that every word that comes out of his mouth is a "scoop" Sheehan is the same. I have never read any articles by Robbo but i can't imagine how he has got to the top by being such a ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You go there to end your career. Every coach that I can remember had their career ended at the hands of that incompetent board. They want success but aren't patient enough to build it. They'll just cheat time and time again. Just waiting for another round of brown paper bags, it's been nearly 10 years. Seem to have a 10 year window between each bag.
And let's face it Carlton's only success in the past 25 years was borne out of cheating and rorting

95 was one of the few seasons in the late 90s we didnt get done for salary cap breaches.

Our salary cap rorting was comprised of third party deals which is perfectly legitimate today.

It was blown right out of proportion and the penalty no where near fitted the crime.

Quite the contrary. Wasnt a big enough man to quit, so he deleiberately derailed the club in public to force them to sack him quickly. Theres nothing honorable about the way he has handled himslef this year.
Why should he have quit? He obviously believed he was the right man to lead Carlton out of the mire. He was hired to do exactly that. Now that they have hit a rough patch the club lost its nerve and panicked, instead of telling the media to get stuffed and holding firm.

Why should he have quit? He obviously believed he was the right man to lead Carlton out of the mire. He was hired to do exactly that. Now that they have hit a rough patch the club lost its nerve and panicked, instead of telling the media to get stuffed and holding firm.

Because he has quite clearly lost the players.

They werent in a mire when he was hired, he led them into it.

I think Mick is the finest coach or this century - he has introduced so much change and professionalism to the game that will in time be recognised.

I am delighted for him that he is free of Trigg who is a snake in the grass (based only on evidence that is on public record)

You go there to end your career. Every coach that I can remember had their career ended at the hands of that incompetent board. They want success but aren't patient enough to build it. They'll just cheat time and time again. Just waiting for another round of brown paper bags, it's been nearly 10 years. Seem to have a 10 year window between each bag.

Dysfunction, sort sightedness, underhandedness, shambolic panic followed by bouts of self delusion.

The Carlton Way.

I think Mick is the finest coach or this century - he has introduced so much change and professionalism to the game that will in time be recognised.

I am delighted for him that he is free of Trigg who is a snake in the grass (based only on evidence that is on public record)
Finest coach this century? I reckon Alastair Clarkson has Malthouse well and truly covered in that regard.
A very good coach certainly, but unfortunately his legacy will be tarnished in my eyes by a malicious, selfish streak and a total inability to admit any fault or mistakes whatsoever.

He acted in the same manner in his latter days at Collingwood and has continued in the same vein towards the club since.
I contrast that with the gracious manner in which Brett Ratten and Dean Bailey handled their demise.

His calculated attempt to drop Trigg in it during his SEN interview was another act of a bitter, vindictive man. The Carlton board made the right call. The club can now move forward.

Last edited:
How was it clear? Carlton have an ordinary list, that is what is clear.

Malthouse chose to do very little list wise in his first two seasons. He recruited Dale Thomas as a readymade top up to a list that Malthouse though (or promised) was going places. The team was mid table when he joined the club.

Not a single player has improved under Malthouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back