Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

olddaisysns.jpg

Chasing Thomas like a pack of dogs.

campaigners.

Good to see Daise showing a bit of symbolic support for his man Mick.

The question is, how long do people realistically think it will take Carlton to "rebuild" back to a promising competitive outfit?

Just how long a tenure will the new coach require?

What flogs.
So glad I never had the talent to play AFL.
I would turn around and drop the hammer on those imbeciles.
Those imbeciles run the AFL. People like Barrett, Robinson, Caroline Wilson and Stevens set the agenda and the AFL reacts accordingly. Same thing happens in Government. I get so angry just listening to them forcing their opinions on everybody even when people who have actually played the game take them to task they push the issue until basically they get their own way. If bloody Barrett keeps on, we'll have the AFL played like netball where you can't touch anyone....

Those imbeciles run the AFL. People like Barrett, Robinson, Caroline Wilson and Stevens set the agenda and the AFL reacts accordingly. Same thing happens in Government. I get so angry just listening to them forcing their opinions on everybody even when people who have actually played the game take them to task they push the issue until basically they get their own way. If bloody Barrett keeps on, we'll have the AFL played like netball where you can't touch anyone....

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

That is spot on. Well said. They make me sick.

The question is, how long do people realistically think it will take Carlton to "rebuild" back to a promising competitive outfit?

Two quality key forwards and we are back in it.

not sure if been asked by where has Marc Murphy been in recent weeks. On saturday SEN it was Bryce Gibbs that took the call after Marc Murphy refused to talk at rehab and today all we hear is quotes from Chris Judd.

Attitude reflects leadership. Sure Mick made his mistakes and was maybe in it for wrong reasons but the next captain is as important as the next coach in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? How do you compete in the midfield with GWS, Sydney?

We are averaging 41.2 clearances a game from stoppages ( Swans 41.4 and GWS 37.7 ) and this is not a problem at all especially when we are starting Wood as our No.1 ruck cause Kruezer is injured.

Midfield is not an issue for us regardless what BF thinks but it is our deficiency in converting these stats to goals coupled with our defense that struggles against to stop good bonafide forward lines not to mention our pressure when we do not have the ball.

Competing in the midfield is the last of our problems.

One problem I see is the tenure of Lo Guidice.....saw an article a few weeks ago (sorry, I can't remember where, probably HUN) saying that he has put in place a system whereby it is nearly impossible to get rid of him. Anyone wanting to run against him for his position must apply to a 3 man committee of which Lo Guidice is one of them .... does that not sound odd and self serving???

If true, that is one example of things not right in the management dept. for a start.

Secondly, they have to get over that they are one of the "top 4".....No they are not. Those days belong back in the VFL.

They are just a struggling club like most of the others.

....and nothing will change in the immediate future, neither Mick or anyone else can get any results from very ordinary players.

bottom line??? They are a club who think they are better than they are..

They have to clean out starting from the very top, and working down to the players. A rebuild will not work unless they get rid of the backroom boys..e'g. remember Edelsten in the coaches box a couple weeks ago??...Think Mick would have liked that??

Thats the sort of stuff they have to fix.

We are averaging 41.2 clearances a game from stoppages ( Swans 41.4 and GWS 37.7 ) and this is not a problem at all especially when we are starting Wood as our No.1 ruck cause Kruezer is injured.

Interesting stats when you look at Carlton.

The only stat Carlton do really badly at is I50. Clearances, contested possessions are all passable. Midfielders are getting their hands on the pill... just not kicking it in the I50.

Game plan?

Hopefully just after GWS get done winning their 5th flag in a row in 6-7 years from now

The only stat Carlton do really badly at is I50. Clearances, contested possessions are all passable. Midfielders are getting their hands on the pill... just not kicking it in the I50.

Game plan?
Of course it has been the game plan but most fans don't want to admit that as it would mean we aren't so terrible and sacking malthouse was the right thing to do. The players will take huge improvement from simply being told to take the game on more, the intensity and tackling pressure however may be lost for good. IMO an injection of youth is required, club should be aiming for 4-5 top 20-30 picks over the next year or 2 even if it means trading henderson, yarran, walker, touhy, jammo, etc.

Game plan?

Exactly and whether we are not good enough to implement a MM game plan skill wise, or his game plan is simply outdated by todays standards is the main issue.

We get plenty of clearances and hands on the ball first but then chip sideways/backwards and play the boundary line to minimise damage if a turn over occurs and it does not suit us this style of play hence why Mick is now gone. You need to take the game on and not plan for **** ups and turnovers IMO while backing yourself, kicking 2m from the boundary line in case you may have errant kicks is wrong and conceding defeat and admitting a poor level of skill before you even run out there.

Was it the right decision??? Well if you read this place for the last 8 weeks it certainly was as Mick gets no love and now we have acted and as a great a coach as Mick was his game plan was outdated by todays standards and magnified horribly by our skill level which i agree is below par, couple this with not tackling when we are not in possession it was a forgone conclusion that Mick and Carlton were parting ways and that is the way it is in the AFL nowadays.

We move on and hopefully do due diligence in appointing a new coach and get the best bloke suited for the role with our current list and IMO Dew is the best fit right now out there.

Game plan?

Yes I50 is very poor for this group of players. Doesn't help that when we get the pill our forwards are so poor they have no confidence kicking it to them or make stupid runs to the boundary line. They players don't know what to do with the football when they have it in their hands.

Hoping Barker implements a more run and gun playing style. But our forwards are very poor except Menzel and cant expect him to kick 4-5 goals every week

Midfield is not an issue for us regardless what BF thinks but it is our deficiency in converting these stats to goals coupled with our defense that struggles against to stop good bonafide forward lines not to mention our pressure when we do not have the ball.

Competing in the midfield is the last of our problems.

But there's not a strong correlation between winning the clearances and winning games. There is a strong correlation between foot skills and turnover rates and Carlton are among the worst at those indicators. Carlton also struggles with outside ball and given this game is about run and outlasting your opponent through spreading the ball, that's a big issue. Carlton is 16th for total disposals and 16th for uncontested disposals. It seems like Carlton can't string enough passes together due to foot skills and fitness. You're also 16th for effective disposal percentage, I realise that stat has its limitations but I doubt it's completely off.

You also mention a lack of pressure when you don't have the ball, that's a job for the midfield and other areas of your team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back