Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly and whether we are not good enough to implement a MM game plan skill wise, or his game plan is simply outdated by todays standards is the main issue.

We get plenty of clearances and hands on the ball first but then chip sideways/backwards and play the boundary line to minimise damage if a turn over occurs and it does not suit us this style of play hence why Mick is now gone. You need to take the game on and not plan for **** ups and turnovers IMO while backing yourself, kicking 2m from the boundary line in case you may have errant kicks is wrong and conceding defeat and admitting a poor level of skill before you even run out there.

Was it the right decision??? Well if you read this place for the last 8 weeks it certainly was as Mick gets no love and now we have acted and as a great a coach as Mick was his game plan was outdated by todays standards and magnified horribly by our skill level which i agree is below par, couple this with not tackling when we are not in possession it was a forgone conclusion that Mick and Carlton were parting ways and that is the way it is in the AFL nowadays.

We move on and hopefully do due diligence in appointing a new coach and get the best bloke suited for the role with our current list and IMO Dew is the best fit right now out there.

Absolutely. The problem with the boundary plan is that modern footballers are fit and are capable of covering boundary and corridor play. It made you really predictable and meant that teams would just leave a half of the ground uncovered as they protected one side, a zonal flexibility which didn't exist as much in previous years. And it hurt you as a team which lacks good foot skills, if you're playing through the corridor, you have so much more space to kick to and more unpredictability, meaning you're the opposition can't pressure you as much because they have more ground to defend, and your forwards have more space to lead to. It's actually easier for a bottom team to play corridor football for their players.

But there's not a strong correlation between winning the clearances and winning games. There is a strong correlation between foot skills and turnover rates and Carlton are among the worst at those indicators. Carlton also struggles with outside ball and given this game is about run and outlasting your opponent through spreading the ball, that's a big issue. Carlton is 16th for total disposals and 16th for uncontested disposals. It seems like Carlton can't string enough passes together due to foot skills and fitness. You're also 16th for effective disposal percentage, I realise that stat has its limitations but I doubt it's completely off.

You also mention a lack of pressure when you don't have the ball, that's a job for the midfield and other areas of your team.

Not in the past handful of years when its all about who has faster runners, no. But before that the contested kings were always high on the ladder. Can't wait for the interchange cap to be lowered more and more to stop these maniac repeat sprint races ruining the game.

Not in the past handful of years when its all about who has faster runners, no. But before that the contested kings were always high on the ladder. Can't wait for the interchange cap to be lowered more and more to stop these maniac repeat sprint races ruining the game.

Don't get me wrong, clearances and contested possessions matter. But so do foot skills and the ability to break into space, and Carlton don't have either of those. If football was just about getting the ball from a contested area, Carlton would be set, but it isn't.

I think the midfield is not adequate but I also think the forwardline and defense is poor as well. If I were Carlton I'd pick the best midfielder for the next five years or so. It's a midfielder's game and I doubt a free agent forward or back is going to go to a club with a poor midfield. Menzel and Cripps are the beginning.

Has Bruce Matheson issued instructions on who the club must appoint?

No he is currently reading Bay 13 on BF for that advice then will pass on it on.

Carlton should hire a young coach who has enthusiasm, fresh ideas, a willingness to play the corridor and a willingness to play the kids. That will excite the players, fans and may actually help the side win a few games. It's clear that the players were sick of playing corridor football, it wasn't allowing them to attack which was sapping them of confidence, meaning they didn't chase or give any effort because they weren't scoring, ruining their defense.

I wouldn't be surprised if corridor football fades out of football.

Don't get me wrong, clearances and contested possessions matter. But so do foot skills and the ability to break into space, and Carlton don't have either of those. If football was just about getting the ball from a contested area, Carlton would be set, but it isn't.

I think the midfield is not adequate but I also think the forwardline and defense is poor as well. If I were Carlton I'd pick the best midfielder for the next five years or so. It's a midfielder's game and I doubt a free agent forward or back is going to go to a club with a poor midfield. Menzel and Cripps are the beginning.
I do not believe clearances matter at all atm, the ideal setup now is to setup your midfielders to seagull around a stoppage, apply tackling pressure when the opposition gains the ball and hope the ball spills free gifting your mids a head start in the race to the other end. At every 3rd ball ump the umpire plucks a free out of thin air so this is when your selwood, sheuy types flourish drawing a free for high contact while being able to play on immediately due to having
the ball.

The actual ability to beat your opponent to the ball and achieving a legitimate possesion is about as useful as **** on a bull in the modern game. Maybe if the interchange cap drops to 60 or so and players can't run these relentless running games the value of a real contested possession might actually mean something again but it 110% means nothing right now.

If henderson was played down back where he should be, he and jamo would be a decent key defender combo and the deficiencies down back might disappear a tad, what we need is more pace and pressure defensively through the middle, our faster mids (Judd, Thomas, Walker, Simpson) are all slowing up and the rest of them are genuinely slow (Bell, Curnow, Cripps, Carrazzo, Gibbs). We would be better served injecting kids with pace into the group, which means stock up on top 30 picks over the next few years and wait a few years for them to develop.

We are averaging 41.2 clearances a game from stoppages ( Swans 41.4 and GWS 37.7 ) and this is not a problem at all especially when we are starting Wood as our No.1 ruck cause Kruezer is injured.

Midfield is not an issue for us regardless what BF thinks but it is our deficiency in converting these stats to goals coupled with our defense that struggles against to stop good bonafide forward lines not to mention our pressure when we do not have the ball.

Competing in the midfield is the last of our problems.
Interesting stats when you look at Carlton.

The only stat Carlton do really badly at is I50. Clearances, contested possessions are all passable. Midfielders are getting their hands on the pill... just not kicking it in the I50.

Game plan?
Yes you can look at the stats and think there is potential there or alternatively you can watch a game and realise they may be competitive at VFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media see this as a big win "We got our man".. How dare Mick treat the media like the imbeciles they are.
All I've heard from the casual supporter this afternoon is how pathetic it is that football is now run by the media.

Playing list needs complete overhaul, get rid of Judd and hte rest of the downhill skiers (essentially all 40+ players on Carlton's list).
Disagree
But they certainly need a rocket. Which is where Barker needs to given the charge to sort out who is going to commit if nothing else.

Disagree
But they certainly need a rocket. Which is where Barker needs to given the charge to sort out who is going to commit if nothing else.
But Eade is at the Suns

Football Manager and Senior Coach always answer to the CEO why is this a problem?
I'm always amazed at how little some supporters know about their own club.

I was reminded on AFL 360 just what a pack of ruthless bastards the Carlton boards have been over the years. They have sacked at least two favourite sons come coaches in Jezza and Rats, lured premiership coaches in Pagan and Malthouse to the club, and then unceremoniously sacked them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back