Player Watch Mark Keane - 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listened to the SEN interview. Keane was given a few opportunities to talk up the club and his experience and didn't take them.

Keane is the fourth best interceptor in the comp right now, his form on Sunday further enhanced his reputation as a future star, even got 2 coaches votes in that one.

If Lever was worth 2 first rounders, then Keane is definitely worth a first.
I agree, he's worth more to the pies than us aswell. I'd have no issue paying a pick in the teens for him if we were in their position (defence wise/premiership window).

Keane is the fourth best interceptor in the comp right now, his form on Sunday further enhanced his reputation as a future star, even got 2 coaches votes in that one.

A contracted Keane is. We don’t have to release him. They can give us their 2025 first which will be high teens and about right for a contracted player

Would be a shame to lose him, although not devastating. I agree, if the return isn't worth our while then make him play out his contract.
Would we get anything if he left at the end of next year? Not sure how it works. Is he an FA for his whole career, given he was previously delisted?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would we get anything if he left at the end of next year? Not sure how it works. Is he an FA for his whole career, given he was previously delisted?

There's a bit of uncertainty about this but I think the consensus is that he's not a delisted/unrestricted free agent. Collingwood didn't delist him, he left (I guess that's a mutual termination or something?). Almost certain we'd get a compo pick.

Let's not forget a C grade forward just kicked a big bag on him, it's not a secret that while he has an elite marking game, his defensive skills are very much a work in progress. Also takes a few short steps on the regular, which is understandable given he's come from a far less physical game. We can start with their first rounder but be happy to walk away with a pick in the 20s.

There's a bit of uncertainty about this but I think the consensus is that he's not a delisted/unrestricted free agent. Collingwood didn't delist him, he left (I guess that's a mutual termination or something?). Almost certain we'd get a compo pick.
He's not a free agent. This year or next, Collingwood will have to trade for him.

Can we get their 26 for him?
Pies first pick, currently 27 is tied to Hawthorn. It's likely to be 30+ on draft night. We'll take it though. If Keane is going to the Pies, we need to get it done early in trade period so we can do some other clever pick trades to advance our position.

Remember, we don't yet know what the draft rules will be for this year's draft.

With our barren playing list and (what should be) struggle to reach the salary cap floor, Keane should be able to name his price to stay - and we should probably pay it
Think it's not about money but more about the huge Irish community in Melbourne. Having been on the end of many a grand night with them when I lived there, I can understand the attraction.

Coming around to this. His SEN interview was unprofessional.
Stuff him. Pies future first or no deal.
I haven’t heard it but I read nowhere where he said he was happy to stay and what’s this evaluate it at the end of the year business? You’re contracted FFS. He’s gone.

Let's not forget a C grade forward just kicked a big bag on him, it's not a secret that while he has an elite marking game, his defensive skills are very much a work in progress. Also takes a few short steps on the regular, which is understandable given he's come from a far less physical game. We can start with their first rounder but be happy to walk away with a pick in the 20s.

Yep. He's still learning the contested side of his game for sure. His tackling technique & hunger to tackle are not great and as was evidenced at the game on the weekend he's still learning some of the rules (overstepping the mark).

I think some people are expecting him to be more on the KPF side of things, when in reality he's a 3rd tall for sure.

He does read the flight of the ball so well though, and I feel like his ceiling is still quite high. Intercepts and intercept spoils are through the roof, and his support of key defenders around him to create 2-1 situations is excellent.

Also tends to play on at first opportunity (GAA mindset), is a clean and decent kick, and can provide run out of the backline. Certainly creates an issue in that Worrell & Borlase are essentially competing for that 3rd tall spot. Worrell is contracted until end of 2027, and I believe Borlase has a contract of 2 years in front of him..

I'd personally be asking for Collingwoods 2025 1st, because if he doesn't get traded, and goes around again next year and has another ripper season, then skies the limit on what sort of compensation we'd get for him anyway....

Pies IMO have a few ageing/retiring players in the backline, and might see Keane as a decent opportunity to keep their flag window open and free up Darcy Moore a bit. I agree with one of the posters above, if we were in our Prem window I'd bite the bullet and pay overs for sure.

Coming around to this. His SEN interview was unprofessional.
Stuff him. Pies future first or no deal.

I've just listened to it. Was it that bad? He got asked two questions about it, and his answers were (1) he's contracted here, and then (2) he's not sure how the contract stuff works, so he wants to just focus on playing footy for now and deal with that later.

Obviously it would be nice if he gave a definitive "I'm staying 100%" response, but he's also not a great talker in the first place. It didn't sound that bad to me.

If you want to listen to it yourself, it's here. The relevant part starts at around 5:08 and it only goes for a minute after that.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07...-at-crows-amid-reported-collingwood-interest/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back