Player Watch Mark Keane - 9

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s a great mark. Put him up forward where we need some marking power, teach him how to kick straight. Any defensive weaknesses taken out of the equation.

Not sure how this keeps him out of Collingwood’s hands, I just think it’s a good idea 😊

4th best in the league at what?
4th best interceptor in the league according to Champion Data. This doesn't include the Brisbane game, as this commentary was a week ago, but Hoyle said that in the past 6 weeks:
  • Adelaide is the equal best defensive profile (along with Sydney and Carlton)
  • Second hardest team to score against with oppo goes inside our defensive 50
  • Hardest team to score against when the oppo is going from one end of the ground to the other
  • When we turnover the ball we are still the second hardest team to score against
  • Fourth hardest team to move the ball against (whatever that means)
  • Since round 8 Keane is the fourth best interceptor in the comp - (credit given to the development staff at Adelaide as this is unexpected development for the player)
Kane obviously asks how is this possible if we keep losing, and the answer is:
  • As good as Keane is at intercepting and winning the ball back, he's not as damaging with ball in hand and
  • Adelaide's ability to get out of the defensive 50 and go to the other end of the ground (go forward) is worst in the competition.

4th best interceptor in the league according to Champion Data. This doesn't include the Brisbane game, as this commentary was a week ago, but Hoyle said that in the past 6 weeks:
  • Hardest team to score against when the oppo is going from one end of the ground to the other
  • When we turnover the ball we are still the second hardest team to score against
  • Since round 8 Keane is the fourth best interceptor in the comp - (credit given to the development staff at Adelaide as this is unexpected development for the player)
  • As good as Keane is at intercepting and winning the ball back, he's not as damaging with ball in hand and
  • Adelaide's ability to get out of the defensive 50 and go to the other end of the ground (go forward) is worst in the competition.

Aligns with most people's observations of our negative gameplan that is designed to restrict the opposition rather than score ourselves

Yep. He's still learning the contested side of his game for sure. His tackling technique & hunger to tackle are not great and as was evidenced at the game on the weekend he's still learning some of the rules (overstepping the mark).

I think some people are expecting him to be more on the KPF side of things, when in reality he's a 3rd tall for sure.

He does read the flight of the ball so well though, and I feel like his ceiling is still quite high. Intercepts and intercept spoils are through the roof, and his support of key defenders around him to create 2-1 situations is excellent.

Also tends to play on at first opportunity (GAA mindset), is a clean and decent kick, and can provide run out of the backline. Certainly creates an issue in that Worrell & Borlase are essentially competing for that 3rd tall spot. Worrell is contracted until end of 2027, and I believe Borlase has a contract of 2 years in front of him..

I'd personally be asking for Collingwoods 2025 1st, because if he doesn't get traded, and goes around again next year and has another ripper season, then skies the limit on what sort of compensation we'd get for him anyway....

Pies IMO have a few ageing/retiring players in the backline, and might see Keane as a decent opportunity to keep their flag window open and free up Darcy Moore a bit. I agree with one of the posters above, if we were in our Prem window I'd bite the bullet and pay overs for sure.
Provided he stays at CHB and never FB, I really want him to stay. I accept that he has a lot to learn about defence and brain fades away a couple of goals a match, but his enormous positive, noted from day one, is that he refuses to dispose of the ball blindly. He always attempts to pass directly to one of his teammates, a habit not shared by many of them!
This has been very valuable to our performances.

When he left Collingwood the first time, didn't that qualify him as a delisted free agent forever so meaning at the end of next year he could just walk to the club he wants to?
The key difference is he left the club and asked to be removed from the list rather than the club delisting him. From what I understand, that means he’s not a free agent.

Horne sung our praises this week as well, seeing we're the 6th best defensive profile in the league in 2024. Whatever we're doing, Champion Data loves - and a lot of this was in our 2023 profile, especially with being a team that hard to move the ball against. That said, what's also interesting with the bolded is we are 6th in the league for generating scores from the defensive half, and 3rd in generating scores from a kick in. Once we're getting past the defensive to midfield, we are scoring at a good click.

I do wonder how much of this is fixed by moving Dawson to half back (with some midfield time).

Last edited:
Keane leaving would be worse than anyone else that has left the club. Fancy getting dumped from Collingwood, then having a club give you a second chance, developing you into a quality defender, only to turn your back on them and go back to Collingwood. Would be an absolute dog move.
Unless Collingwood is offering you twice as much money and a much longer contract. Can you blame him? Let's just hope we get adequately compensated.

Keane leaving would be worse than anyone else that has left the club. Fancy getting dumped from Collingwood, then having a club give you a second chance, developing you into a quality defender, only to turn your back on them and go back to Collingwood. Would be an absolute dog move.
I thought it was Keane who left Collingwood to returned home as his partner wasn't able to study in Australia during COVID-19 ???

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn’t dumped was he? He got home sick and left

Kane McGoodwin - did you see the actual news story they mentioned in the clip, with info on his contract situation?
I just watched him on channel 7 where he clearly said he wants to stay in Adelaide & would like a contract extension sooner rather than later. Likes the club & city.

Huh, he said he wants a contract extension to stay with Adelaide?
If he does stay, then we have butts, murray, keane and worrell anchoring us for a long time to come. It means that there should be now no temptation to play Curtin as a defender and instead properly develop him as a midfielder. Do we retain Borlase?. I hope so as he is a rookie listed player and can be for another year or 2. We have with the 4 players + borlase real flexability now and maybe can swing worrell or murray forward as a plan b or c if needed.

If he does stay, then we have butts, murray, keane and worrell anchoring us for a long time to come. It means that there should be now no temptation to play Curtin as a defender and instead properly develop him as a midfielder. Do we retain Borlase?. I hope so as he is a rookie listed player and can be for another year or 2. We have with the 4 players + borlase real flexability now and maybe can swing worrell or murray forward as a plan b or c if needed.
Yeah, Borlase is cheap useful depth.

Reckon both Murray & Worrell can play elsewhere if needed too.

We need 30 quality players.

It means we shouldn’t waste draft picks on Petty or drafting a KPD

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back