Player Watch Mark Keane - 9

Remove this Banner Ad

'Keane is good at what he does best "ïntercept", Butts is good at what he does best "lockdown"the oppo's best Tall Forward.

Surely you're not seriously suggesting Borlase is anywhere near as good as Butts locking away the oppo's best tall forward.?
What's your thoughts on who we play in our best team? Worrell is much better than Keane although Keane has been good. Muz is a more versatile defender than Butts. Although in terms of pure lockdown Butts is possibly our best. Quite a predicament. It feels like to me that we could rotate Keane and Butts depending on the opponent? With injury history the chances of all 4 being available for a full season is unlikely

What's your thoughts on who we play in our best team? Worrell is much better than Keane although Keane has been good. Muz is a more versatile defender than Butts. Although in terms of pure lockdown Butts is possibly our best. Quite a predicament. It feels like to me that we could rotate Keane and Butts depending on the opponent? With injury history the chances of all 4 being available for a full season is unlikely
If you were Keane or Butts would you be happy to be used like that when you could be best 22 elsewhere?

Absolutely not
so something is got to give
either give Keane an extension and more money but would need to play him or trade for picks etc.

with Collingwood list in the media being talked being too old etc and they are willing traders... we can trade both Keane and Berry for their future first and current 2nd round draft pick.

Intercepting defenders at his size are very much in demand, $500K ain't keeping him that's for sure and certain. 700K would be ball park I'd be thinking given his upside possibly more. Not a great defender 1 on 1 but as an interceptor he will only get better.
So if you are paying Keane $700k pa, how much are you paying for our other taller players?
Murray, Worrell, Butts, Thilthorpe, Fogarty & Walker?

If we are paying all our top 20ish players 50+% more than the average salary (top players close to double), we will have a cap problem...

If you were Keane or Butts would you be happy to be used like that when you could be best 22 elsewhere?
Who do you believe our best 3 tall defenders are, including 3rd tall?

So if you are paying Keane $700k pa, hoe much are you paying for our other taller players?
Murray, Worrell, Butts, Thilthorpe, Fogarty & Walker?

If we are paying all our top 20ish players 50% more than the average salary, we will have a cap problem...
Re Walker he wouldn't be on top money I wouldn't think he and the club choose to go again?
Wouldn't think Buttsy would be on enormous money anyway.

What's your point here, jettison AFL quality players when you're one injury away from having to play someone like Borlase.
Show me where I have made that point, because if you had been following the conversation I have said the exact opposite?

How about you answer the question, rather than make fake news...

Re Walker he wouldn't be on top money I wouldn't think he and the club choose to go again?
Wouldn't think Buttsy would be on enormous money anyway.
You think Tex will be on below average wage... Somehow I doubt it!

Gather you rate Keane well ahead of Butts Imo, until Keane becomes a better 1 on 1 defender, I rate them similar depending on the opposition.

You think Tex will be on below average wage... Somehow I doubt it!

Gather you rate Keane well ahead of Butts Imo,
You do a lot of gathering, Butts and Keane are very different players...I really thought I made that quite clear but let me explain it again Butts is a 198cm lockdown 1 on 1 tall defender or at least that's the role the coaches have given him, generally on the oppo's tallest forward, Mark Keane is a 194cm intercepting defender suited to playing on the more mobile tall forwards.

You do a lot of gathering, Butts and Keane are very different players...I really thought I made that quite clear but let me explain it again Butts is a 198cm lockdown 1 on 1 tall defender or at least that's the role the coaches have given him, generally on the oppo's tallest forward, Mark Keane is a 194cm intercepting defender suited to playing on the more mobile tall forwards.
We have both made that clear... as have most of the board.

The issue is you can only play 3 of Murray, Worrell, Keane & Butts. Imo, the 1st 2 are locks & the other 2 are horses for courses for the exact reason in your post... which makes them both fringe imo.

We have both made that clear... as have most of the board.

The issue is you can only play 3 of Murray, Worrell, Keane & Butts. Imo, the 1st 2 are locks & the other 2 are horses for courses for the exact reason in your post... which makes them both fringe imo.
Murray and Butts are the 2 Key Position Defenders when both are fit...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So are you picking Keane or Worrell then?
Creator Shrug GIF by G2 Esports

So you are picking all of Murray, Butts, Keane & Worrell in our backline... because you refuse to name 3. ;)

All 4 won't be picked as we would be too tall... unless 1 plays elsewhere.

So you are picking all of Murray, Butts, Keane & Worrell in our backline... because you refuse to name 3. ;)

All 4 won't be picked as we would be too tall... unless 1 plays elsewhere.
I don't select the team nor do you, maybe wait until the rare occurence when they're all fit and playing.

I've come to this thought process. Tear me to shreds if you so wish

If pies are willing to pay up for Keane first half of 2nd round or similar then let him walk.

I'll start by saying he has been great this year and has rediscovered his form post Sydney game. He seems to be average as a key defender but above average as an interceptor. However given we can play Hinge in the role if we have an injury to one of the other three whilst also having Dawson and Curtin available to play as an interceptor it seems we have that position well covered to me (not to mention the possibility of drafting another in or developing someone else in that role)

If we keep him it's cause we don't rate Borlase and are cutting him

I've come to this thought process. Tear me to shreds if you so wish

If pies are willing to pay up for Keane first half of 2nd round or similar then let him walk.

I'll start by saying he has been great this year and has rediscovered his form post Sydney game. He seems to be average as a key defender but above average as an interceptor. However given we can play Hinge in the role if we have an injury to one of the other three whilst also having Dawson and Curtin available to play as an interceptor it seems we have that position well covered to me (not to mention the possibility of drafting another in or developing someone else in that role)

If we keep him it's cause we don't rate Borlase and are cutting him
Michalanney can also be an interceptor

I don't select the team nor do you, maybe wait until the rare occurence when they're all fit and playing.
Really, I though we did select the team...

What is the point in us all discussing team changes every week, when we can just wait for the club & agree with them...

I don't understand why we would trade away any AFL standard player whilst our list is still pretty shallow for talent equal or above these guys levels.

I'm looking for a repurposing of a good player rather than dispose of them just to attract a draft pick with its associated risks.

With this in mind, Murray, Worrell and Keane all look to be good enough athletes to offer something beyond just defence. Worth a look as we only need one of them to transition successfully and our defensive personnel balance is restored.

It might be as early as next year in a post Walker and Himmelberg squad that a multi week Fogarty injury leaves us with TT and...?? as marking forwards.

But whatever the justification, keep all four. We're not in such a luxurious position to lose AFL standard talent. And for those who might question this opinion, I enter the AFL ladder of the past 5 years into evidence for the jury to deliberate on.

Play Worrell on a wing or move him to Michelanney position.

In all seriousness, it's unlikely we will have all 4 available most of the time
Worrell would be dynamite on a wing.

If they want to stay - we know we can fit them into the cap - then keep them all absolutely. We were a pinch of hyper extension away from losing Murray for another year and we don't know when Butts will play again and in what capacity. 5 would be the minimum of KPDs you'd want on your list - if they can all play to a high AFL standard then good, we're doing it right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mark Keane - 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back