Player Watch Mark Keane - 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Butts gets a bad rap on here as he is too indecisive.

I said it before he is like a poor man version of Talia.

Talia though was more quick in his decision making and didn't turn the ball over as often.
What utter tosh re Butts, maybe go do some research before hitting reply.
Averaging just over 1 turnover a game and kicking efficiency is in the high 80's

Averaging just over 1 turnover a game and kicking efficiency is in the high 80's
Butts actually averages the least turnovers and clangers of our key defenders, and has a materially higher kicking efficiency than Keane. Yes Keane is more attacking but he also has a tendency to just throw it on his boot without looking.

The defensive 1v1 loss % surprised me though with Butts and Keane both at 25% (I still think Butts is miles ahead defensively). Murray not losing a 1v1 in 5 games is impressive and highlights how much we missed him this year.

1722563457938.png

Butts actually averages the least turnovers and clangers of our key defenders, and has a materially higher kicking efficiency than Keane. Yes Keane is more attacking but he also has a tendency to just throw it on his boot without looking.

The defensive 1v1 loss % surprised me though with Butts and Keane both at 25% (I still think Butts is miles ahead defensively). Murray not losing a 1v1 in 5 games is impressive and highlights how much we missed him this year.

View attachment 2065994
I love it when people don't show all the stats to back up their argument. Butts averaging less disposals makes it stats look better. Keane has more clangers but averages 6 more disposals and almost triple the metres gained.

I love it when people don't show all the stats to back up their argument. Butts averaging less disposals makes it stats look better. Keane has more clangers but averages 6 more disposals and almost triple the metres gained.
Nearly triple the amount of clangers and turnovers as well. Attacking wise they are performing fairly similar (despite the discrepancy in stats). Now who's using selective stats?

Overall they are fairly similar although Butts has the bigger size to play on bigger forwards.

View attachment 2065994
The bolded is blatantly untrue. Keane's best characteristic is that he always looks to dispose to advantage.
In fact, he often telegraphs his intentions by taking too long to pick out his target.

The same table clearly shows Butts has significantly more disposals per clanger and turnover. Metres gained has less importance if you’re turning it over more often.

Thought it was pretty simple and obvious for all to see:

Butts - Much better defensively. Bigger and can play on bigger forwards.

Keane - Much better offensively. Much better as an intercept defender and a hell of a lot better offensively. He has double the rebound 50's than Butts, averages 300+ meters gained compared to Butts 129. Keane averages 16.5 disposals compared to Butts 10.

For me - the positive is that we have a really versatile back 6 of Murray, Butts, Woz, Keane, Max, Hinge. Just need to lock down another 2 playmakers off half back (or 1 if we want to keep Max as a lockdown small defender).

I think we have a great backline which just needs time and to be injury free.
Especially looking at them as a line not individuals as there is so much switching and zoning these days
DVP is a rolling average so you really do need to take into account who the opposition was.
It’s over the last 10 games showing how playing groups are going cd points wise compared to opponents.
So if you were a Key Forward about to play Adelaide you would know that only
26% of players play to their average against them and you are likely to score -6 points than your avge.
Conversely if you were about to play West Coast you would know they give away +12.8 to key fwd’s and 69% of players hit their average against them. It also shows that our set up to opposition kick ins from behinds is excellent.

IMG_1881.jpeg

Last edited:
Happy for him to go. Annoying to watch him against Hawks early when he should have been an important defender given our outs cracking it at a smaller player getting out-marked by his man, literally Hawks only forward in the 50 and Keane nowhere near him leaving someone else hung out to dry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know why Collingwood would want him considering we’d demand a 2nd round pick. Keane is basically a poor mans Darcy Moore the way he plays miles off his opponent and gets caught out.

How many goals has Amartey kicked since playing us…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
but surely you look at a body of work rather than an outlier re a player (or team) etc. One shocking game yes but the lad who has shown more natural flair, skills and ability than other KPD (certainly Borlase, and I would argue even Butts)

Lose Keane - unless F1 from Pies as WE have all the power here - and we are left with an injury prone 3 KPD (inc 3rd tall) of Butts, Murray and Worrell.

At any stage you would bet on one of them normally being injured and then we either play sub-standard Borlase or drag Curtin back whilst everyone whines as we have little other options.

No way we should let him go - unless Pies pay overs (F1)

I don’t know why Collingwood would want him considering we’d demand a 2nd round pick. Keane is basically a poor mans Darcy Moore the way he plays miles off his opponent and gets caught out.
Like Darcy Moore that dud dual All Australian premiership winning captain? Geez, thats horrid

ps absolutely spewing if we accept a second rounder for a contracted player in a position where players are being paid HUGE $$$ (McKay, Battle etc)

Late first round pick otherwise keep him, his value isn't going down and I don't care if he sooks it up, plenty of clubs in Melbourne if he prefers to go there, otherwise see out your contract.

If Collingwood want him, come up with something we will let him go for. Happy to take McCreery in a straight swap but if he contracted we should get value

People on here really overate McCreery

but surely you look at a body of work rather than an outlier re a player (or team) etc. One shocking game yes but the lad who has shown more natural flair, skills and ability than other KPD (certainly Borlase, and I would argue even Butts)

Lose Keane - unless F1 from Pies as WE have all the power here - and we are left with an injury prone 3 KPD (inc 3rd tall) of Butts, Murray and Worrell.

At any stage you would bet on one of them normally being injured and then we either play sub-standard Borlase or drag Curtin back whilst everyone whines as we have little other options.

No way we should let him go - unless Pies pay overs (F1)

Keane is a super attacking defender, who is a strong interceptor but often gets caught out.

Butts is rarely beaten but lacks attacking traits.

With Worrell in I think Butts has more value.

Borlase is a solid back up.

First and last time sat in on a Crows game Day thread last night.
100 people 200 personalities seeing who could make the most ridiculous comment.
Thank God It thinned a bit after Fat Cat went to bed.

To all the lunatics deciding to follow the deluded and pile on Mark Keane you seriously
have absolutely, positively no clue about football.

I can say no more so will leave it for you to ponder the votes
Given by both coaches this year.

But I bet you know better

2024 Coaches votes to Crows Players from half to full back.

Mark Keane 18 Games 8 Coaches Votes
Josh Worrell. 9 Games. 3 Coaches Votes
Luke Nankervis. 16 Games. 3 Coaches Votes
James Borlase. 9 Games. 1 Coaches Vote
Mitch Hinge. 18 Games. 1. Coaches Vote
Max Michalanney. 19 Games. 1 Coaches Vote
Jordan Butts. 15 Games. 0 Coaches Votes
Nick Murray. 5 Games. 0 Coaches Votes

To all the lunatics deciding to follow the deluded and pile on Mark Keane you seriously

going by this your rating keane as a better player then worrell......
they are very similar players and play the same role......
there is absolutely no way keane is better the worrell.
unless we play with one big full back like murray/butts and the rest as third talls.
we can't have a team of murray, butts, worrell and keane all in the starting 22.... just tooooo slow and no run.

A useful contribution would be how many games they secured votes in.

You should learn how to read before hitting reply also.
my comments was mainly about his indecisiveness and he just kicks it long to a contest which half the time gives in back to the opposition.
how many times have you seen Butts mark the ball walks back and then take 6000 centuries to kick the ball and move it forwards.
he literally kills momentum when we need to make a quick decision and go and not give the opposition time to set up defensively.

Talia has limitations when disposing the ball but at least he makes his decision to move the ball forwards to a player in a better position or to a more skilled player quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mark Keane - 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back