Mark McVeigh suspended by club

Remove this Banner Ad

If this happened a week before the grand final and one or two players had a big night after a PF win and missed the next mornings recovery..

What do you do then?

Put them up for trade. Because if that is their attitude, that team is going to get pasted in the Grand Final.

God!! does the word Team mean anything to you? If one or two players go on the piss, why not the entire team? then what do you do? telephone Demetriou and ask him to postpone the Grand Final for a week?

Like most brain-dead AFL footballers, time and time again they prove that they aren't the smartest people going around.

I think this is almost the last straw with regards to McVeigh becoming our next captain.

I wanted him to captain us last year, but now I don't care if he is overlooked.

I don't think his behaviour is becoming of a potential captain of an up and coming young side.

Look through our list again - we have better players and better potential leaders st Essendon.

If this happened a week before the grand final and one or two players had a big night after a PF win and missed the next mornings recovery..

What do you do then?
Wow, that is a massive hypothetical that you've conveniently constructed to prove your argument correct.

Can't compare a grand final with round 14.

The club has made the right move.

Just a hypothetical - if you were in the same pub and saw him getting on it, would you tell him you would be disappointed if he were suspended by the club?

Awesome question, deserves it's own thread.

TBH, since I don't live in Melbourne I'd just be stoked to see a player in the flesh off the footy field!

I think there are a few short memories in this thread to be honest. Those claiming that he's compromised any chance of captaincy, look at his record over his career -

2008 R3 Striking (1) Brendan Fevola Early plea Reprimand
2007 R14 Striking Gary Ablett jnr Won at tribunal 1 match
2006 R9 Misconduct Accepted fine $2400 fine
2005 R18 Melee Accepted fine $2400 fine
2005 R18 Striking (2) Steve Johnson Early plea 1 match
2005 R15 Wrestling Chris Hyde Accepted fine $1800 fine
2005 R1 Wrestling Accepted fine $900 fine
2004 R11 Melee Accepted fine $4000 fine
2003 R8 Striking Michael Osborne Won at tribunal Not guilty
2001 R3 Wrestling Scott Camporeale Accepted fine $1200 fine

Not to mention a large number of 50 metre penalties he used to give away a few years ago.

He's never been mister squeaky clean. McVeigh is who he is, and is either good enough to be captain or not. This incident doesn't change that, any more than any other incident in the past. If he was going to compromise his chances, he did so long before this incident.

Stop overreacting.

What's baffling is how a senior player can do two stupid things is such a short span of time that will cost him his spot in two huge successive Friday night games against Carlton and Collingwood.

There was no need for either act, especially for someone in his 11th season at the club.

Now that he has another weekend to mull things over, will he drown his sorrows on Saturday night down at some King St bar until 5am?

Something seems a bit odd. The article says he told the club beforehand that he would miss the session.

Which points to the club also telling him beforehand the consequences of missing the session.

If that's the case he made a strange decision to miss the session. I'm sure if it was a wedding or something like that the club would have accommodated him.

Must have been frivolous reason for missing the session. Something isn't adding up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that puts a cat amongst the pigeons. Maybe Mark should appeal the decision? :p

McPhee, Zaka, Jetta, Hurley, Quinn could come into the mix for selection this week i take it..

Jetta has enough trouble with not fumbling the ball in perfect conditions. I wouldn't be bringing him back for a game which in all likliehood will be pissing down rain.

We desperately need Watson to get up now.

Put them up for trade. Because if that is their attitude, that team is going to get pasted in the Grand Final.

God!! does the word Team mean anything to you? If one or two players go on the piss, why not the entire team? then what do you do? telephone Demetriou and ask him to postpone the Grand Final for a week?

Excellent :thumbsu:

The Gary Lyon attitude. He got quizzed about Barry Hall by Thomas on Monday and Lyon said he'd retire him and drop him because he could not trust him. Thomas then pointed out how it related to Lyon's playing days and maybe that type of attitude was why Melbourne never won anything.

It's similar to your attitude. Trade or drop anyone that doesn't fit the mould or makes a mistake.

The team is a balancing act between individuals with different personalities. One blanket rule at times does not make sense.

For christ sake this is not the Ned Flanders Essendon Football Club.

As for the Collingwood analogy, that's a whole different't ballpark. There were multiple incidents over the year and they lied to all on national tv.

McVeigh does have form.

I stand to be corrected, but he was suspended from a NAB Cup game with Solly and Rama a few years back because he missed a session after being out on the juice.

I was laughed at last year for calling McVeigh a selfish footballer and denouncing him as captain. The last two weeks have added a lot of fuel to that fire.

i have got to say i am really confused with this situation, it has been reported that mcveigh did let the club know beforehand that he will miss the monday session, so what was the clubs response to that? did they then say no that is not acceptible and you would miss the weekends game if that did occur or did they just say ok then suspended him..

I don't know what is so confusing about it. He was out on the piss and got off his nutter, realised he was gonna be way too ****ed to train the next morning so thought he had better call the club and let them know.

1. Told them there and then that he was too smashed and wouldnt make it to training. Told on the spot he is gaawwn. Wouldn't have made a difference to Spike because he was not going to rock up to training pissed.

2. Tried to lie about it and make up some bs excuse. Club found out he was lying. Gaawwwn.

Excellent :thumbsu:

The Gary Lyon attitude.
For christ sake this is not the Ned Flanders Essendon Football Club.

Wrong again. This is the Mathew Knights attitude. Knightsy is leading the team to the flag, and if one of the leadership group goes out on the piss and misses training, suspend him. We have a team, not a bunch of individuals.

You want to pander to McVeigh just because he is a senior player? That sets an excellent example for the younger guys, doesn't it?

What do you do then?

Sack them on the spot! If any player went out and did this a week before the grand final they should not be allowed to wear the red and black ever again.

I found it quite funny that you would advocate double standards at our club. We are not Collingwood you know.

No idividual should be bigger than the team. Spike obviously hasn't learnt from his past idiscretions but maybe if we lose by 5 points this week he will learn from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark McVeigh suspended by club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back