AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

The forward line issues to me highlight the importance of Martin playing front half and having more support for Merrett who is also a great user into F50. Any opposition club should hard tag Merrett as we don't have enough class in the middle. Caldwell can use it well also but need him to go up another level to support Zac.

I think byran is judged harsher than both draper and goldy.

If they play similar games this forum and selection committee will judge byran a lot more harshly than the others. Byran is 22 year old ruckman who shows good signs in vfl and enough when given a shot at afl level.
I have been saying he is not ready for a while and I agree he should get some games in a row. Maybe the reason Scott is reluctant to play him is he is not ready to have the presence and work rate he wants. He is a guy I have watched live closer than any other player in the last two years and I have to say his level now is the same as it was at this stage last year. Maybe they just want a different style ruck and Goldy was the bloke to plug the gap for Sam to develop and maybe teach both a bit of craft.

A CHF like 2MP for instance.

Unfortunately we’re trying to shoehorn him into the ruck because Brad likes Harry Jones better then Nick Bryan
Harry Jones is a forward who can’t play in the ruck.
Nick Bryan is a ruck who can’t play forward.
They both need another two years of experience and gym to get to the next level.
If Bryan leaves for more opportunity, who really cares? He has had enough chances to show more and get bigger and better. He hasn’t.

As a wing you’re not fighting a KPD for marks, which seems to be where Jones mostly struggles.

I’m not arguing for or against the move, but his contested marking isn’t great whereas his hands on a lead or coming across are decent. True CHF’s would typically be decent contested marks eg a Curnow.
Unless you're playing Essendon?

Is there a link or a graphic on where our shots on goal came from?

From the last quarter I saw, it was mainly harsh angles from 30m + that were were forced to kick wide
We missed at least 5 from directly in front off the top of my head.
City end
Perkins 35m
Menzie 25-35m
Guelfi 40m
Martin 40-45
Punt rd
Langford 35m (game over at that point)

We missed at least 5 from directly in front off the top of my head.
City end
Perkins 35m
Menzie 25-35m
Guelfi 40m
Martin 40-45
Punt rd
Langford 35m (game over at that point)
Then Perkins butchered that gold opportunity running into goal where he should have went early to Goldie or then had a ping once he was marked by DeKoning. The occasion got to many and the same last week.

If there's a positive about last night's game at all, it's that Voss knows and his players know that their victory was an anomaly. They've walked away unsure if they really won or we really lost. That will sit in their collective subconscious until next we meet. We know we can take them.

If there's a positive about last night's game at all, it's that Voss knows and his players know that their victory was an anomaly. They've walked away unsure if they really won or we really lost. That will sit in their collective subconscious until next we meet. We know we can take them.
All of a sudden Voss with that smug look I remember from long ago. Lets hope that gets wiped off later this year.

Forwards coach has some work to do, two weeks in a row we’ve had more i50s and scoring shots and lost. We’re not a good enough team elsewhere we can afford to be wasteful in the forward half.

Poor i50 entries are a killer, our forwards need to work harder to create space and our midfield needs to use their brains and don’t just bomb it long because Wright is in the side. We lack the marking power and crumbing at ground level for that to work.

We have good mediums who are going to take marks on the lead, so kick it accordingly.

Midfield (presumably Caldwell and Durham) did well to limit Cripps and Walsh, but didn’t get enough from anyone else. Goldstein wasn’t poor but he’s also not great at neutralising an opposition ruckman, and we didn’t use him going the other way to force TDK to be accountable for him.

Defence was just under the pump the whole time, when we’re letting the opposition get clean transition from defence to i50 our defenders are hung out to dry.
I do wonder if part of the issue is stemming from further up the ground. Our midfield was fairly well held which probably gave the blues more time to crowd our 50, and we rarely got the sort of clean, fast entries that catch out defenders. We got forced wide as well, which further slows our movement and forces a longer kick inside 50 unless we aimed for the pocket.

Having injuries to regulars in the midfield group is probably also keeping Caldwell and Perkins out of that half forward linkup role, and we're missinf Duursma who was also really important in attack.

Is there a link or a graphic on where our shots on goal came from?

From the last quarter I saw, it was mainly harsh angles from 30m + that were were forced to kick wide

8867cfe8f83989cb2cb23a0fe7b68172.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the AFL come out and said anything about the Martin 50m penalty?
It has to be one of the worst decisions (in a long list) of bad decisions this year. Bloke is 20m's away and kicks back to Mcgovern that mises by like what, 5m? And bang, 50m and they get their first goal. Just pisses me off.

It has to be one of the worst decisions (in a long list) of bad decisions this year. Bloke is 20m's away and kicks back to Mcgovern that mises by like what, 5m? And bang, 50m and they get their first goal. Just pisses me off.
unlikely that they will, especially when it happened to zach later in the game and it wasn't called a 50m

In tandem with Draper when he returns?
If need be. Sam is not going to be able to ruck full games. I doubt it will happen.

Maybe just an umpire that knows his stuff? Martin has been nailing those 20m kicks to the opposition all year.

Then Perkins butchered that gold opportunity running into goal where he should have went early to Goldie or then had a ping once he was marked by DeKoning. The occasion got to many and the same last week.
Goldy screaming for it. FFS Perkins.

Goldy screaming for it. FFS Perkins.
Archie was a deer in the headlights there and not only did we miss the golden opportunity Gresh got crunched by DeKoning. Dark comedy stuff. My gosh that match was a hard watch - just seeing the guys try so hard but we just lacked the class and composure to punish them. Need to bring in elite foot skills and decision making. Massimo would have been handy 😥

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back