Mark Williams fom hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

psi

Rookie
Jul 5, 2004
Other Teams
Richmond
Hey all, im reasonably new to this board, and this is my first thread, so go easy.

Given richmonds lack of small forwards (or lack of effectivness, as it were) do you think we should target Mark Williams fom hawthorn as a crumbing forward type?? He seems to be getting a bit of a rough trot at hawthorn re: playing time - ALTHOUGH he isobviously a total ****er (whats with the 'shotgun' thing) from what i have seen from him, he has had some reasonablke games, and is a pretty good kick for goal.

Now i know a lot of people will say we should be recruiting our own players ( I am a firm believer as well) - but it seems richmond has had trouble recreuiting/moulding this type of player in the past. Our last crumbing/medium forward that was any good was probably naish/merenda era.

What does everyone think about this? who are some other likely types richmond should use in this role (either from within the club, or as a recruit)

I would be stoked to see Ty Zantuck moulded into this type of role. he is NOT a defender.

I think shotgun Williams should start doing the shotty routine with the gun pointed at his mouth.

Stay clear of him. Mentally and physically soft player.

not a match turner and certainly not a match winner.

Mark seems to be a downhill skier, when the team plays well, then so does he.

I thought he was just a short key forward at Hawthorn?

I've always had the impression that the only thing he's ever had going for him was that he's good overhead, I've never known him as a crumber, and certainly not an ingenious goalsneak.

If Richmond were smart, they'd steer well clear

I am soooo tired of Richmond trying to recruit "small forwards". I could talk about them for hours... Ashley Blurton, Marty McGrath, Andy Krakouer, David Rodan... when will it stop!

GOOD small forwards are players that have the ability to play in more than one position (ie. midfield). If they can only play as a two-bob forward, they become redundant very quickly.

Originally posted by Wally Matera
I am soooo tired of Richmond trying to recruit "small forwards". I could talk about them for hours... Ashley Blurton, Marty McGrath, Andy Krakouer, David Rodan... when will it stop!

GOOD small forwards are players that have the ability to play in more than one position (ie. midfield). If they can only play as a two-bob forward, they become redundant very quickly.

all good points wally, but the problem richmond has had for some time now, is the lack of goal kicking power - and the ability to kick over 100 points per game. Richmond has a massive fixation with matthew richardson - as good as he is, we cant keep looking for him EVERY ****EN TIME we go inside fifty. why not have a GOOD crumbing/medium sized forward down there. We have tried this year(as you suggested) to rotate 'goalkickers' through the midfield (brown, krak, rodan), but for all intents and purposes they ahve kicked **** all goals.

Mark williams was just an example. I would be happier to see Ty zantuc or as we saw last week, Kayne Pettifer. I was pretty much pointing out the fact that richmond has bugegr all medium forwards in the mould of MarK Williams. Every other succesfull team in the competition has one. - Guerra, Kinglsey,Robertson,Johnson,Matera....etc etc

Originally posted by psi
all good points wally, but the problem richmond has had for some time now, is the lack of goal kicking power - and the ability to kick over 100 points per game. Richmond has a massive fixation with matthew richardson - as good as he is, we cant keep looking for him EVERY ****EN TIME we go inside fifty. why not have a GOOD crumbing/medium sized forward down there. We have tried this year(as you suggested) to rotate 'goalkickers' through the midfield (brown, krak, rodan), but for all intents and purposes they ahve kicked **** all goals.

Mark williams was just an example. I would be happier to see Ty zantuc or as we saw last week, Kayne Pettifer. I was pretty much pointing out the fact that richmond has bugegr all medium forwards in the mould of MarK Williams. Every other succesfull team in the competition has one. - Guerra, Kinglsey,Robertson,Johnson,Matera....etc etc

Every club you have mentioned here have gun midfields. If our midfield is sh1t, then our small forwards (or Mark Williams) aint gonna kick us 100 points a game anyway!

Mark Williams might turn out to be a gun player, but he has shown us that without a midfield (Hawthorn's is lame) he cant do anything.

Lets worry about our midfield and then the forwards we've got may be able to kick the score themselves. Our midfield has been lame for sooo many years now.

No thanx.

As for the game plan existing solely around richo,blame Frawley for having no tactical creativity.

**** i hate him,wish T-shirt would caretake for the last few.

Lets play Gasper and cambo and overlook Tuck and raines.
You're a ****en nuff nuff spud.

Forget about poaching. It's time Richmond started developing our own guys.If anything we should be trading away our older players for more picks.

This is what Sheedy does for Essendon,we should too.

Miller has a very good eye for you talent.He should use it.

No more Fletchers,Nichols,Flemming,Marshes and Houlahoops.

Originally posted by evo
Forget about poaching. It's time Richmond started developing our own guys.If anything we should be trading away our older players for more picks.

Evo...... well spoken , you`ve said it for the vast majority of all of us . Real strength and premierships come from building it from the ground up . A group of young blokes all coming through the system together . Close mates all playing footy together and for each other . Not the piece-meal , patchwork quilt that we have trying to put together for years

Originally posted by JohnF
I think shotgun Williams should start doing the shotty routine with the gun pointed at his mouth.

Stay clear of him. Mentally and physically soft player.

Totally agree... dont really like Williams. Has made a name with his name and shotgun. Not skill.

Originally posted by evo

You've put it in a nutshell, evo ....

Originally posted by Wally Matera

Not a truer word said wally my boy, just like you never recruit Full backs...good ones are failed forwards...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by oxx
No thanx.

As for the game plan existing solely around richo,blame Frawley for having no tactical creativity.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes yet another thing to blame spud on.fact of the matter is since richo turned up at punt road every coach has been guilty of the samething.:rolleyes:

cheers!

Can't believe anyone is even considering Willimas from Hawthorn ... it'd be like trading for Adam Houlihan all over again.

And as for Hay ... he's not even playing well enough, or often enough, to be considered over-rated !!

Mark Williams - something about the name, they are both just tosspots.

Picks 2, 5, whatever we get for Fiora and Gaspar, then picks 21 and 36 and our PSD recruit should all be really good 8-10 year players.

Mark Williams - welcome to Coburg hall of shame.

Originally posted by mike2j7
Williams and Hay would be worth targeting as long as you don't have to give up anything important.

dont think we would want hay even if he was free, not worth the space on our list. williams would probably be the same. and hell i would not want to be seen in richmond colours if he did that stupid shotgun thing, what an embarrasment!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Williams fom hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back