Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett has been charged by WA Police with four counts of aggravated burglary, with three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage among his other charges.
The alleged offences took place between December 2022 and January 2023.
Pickett has a “strong intent” to defend himself, his manager Anthony Van Der Wielen told 7NEWS in a statement.

Racist comments will immediately cop a long break from Bigfooty, discuss the issue not the skin colour or race.
Thank you.

P.S This thread has nothing to do with the Clarkson/Racism review discussion.
This thread is not the place to discuss the prison system and prisoner rehabilitation, you can take that to the SRP board.
This is the scandals and rumours board only, please stay on topic in here.

Last edited:
A high profile sports star voluntarily comes to the copshop to help with enquiries =/= danger to society/flight risk.
As opposed to hiding out in some crawlspace in Girrawheen? Lol 🥴

Good of him to speak to the cops since they needed to speak to him, he would've been wanting to be as cooperative as possible and do you think his manager wouldn't have said "yeah you better get there for a chat."

After that chat and knowing what they want with him of course that changes things. Passports get taken from you, conditions put in place as they have been to check in with police regularly etc.

Alleged up to $380,000 worth of stolen goods

He’s up s**t creek

"Pickett was granted bail to return to Melbourne with weekly reporting conditions that will allow him to play football on the weekends."

I hate to say I told you so, but...

As for the case, obviously one newpaper report wont tell the whole story, but from what is there, I think it could fall through the cracks between "we know he did it" and "we can prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did it".

I dare say the police probably have more on the others in the group and threw this in for completeness and negotating power. (common police tactic is what they call a 'burger with the lot'...charge someone with everything you can possibly associate with the crime, and then agree to drop some/most of the charges if they will plead guilty to the rest. In this case, it could also be a group thing...If Person X pleads guilty, we'll drop Person Y's charges).

If also means that police are not left open to suggestions of bias/improprietry that could arise if 'An AFL Star' escapes charges even though there is a reasonable chance he was involved.

Amount of cash and smuggling being alleged by police is significant. Not really knocking over the local pub or servo. Organised crime?

So best case scenario is he's incredibly naive and needs to cut ties with some people and worst case is he's involved in organised crime. Either way, it sounds like he could do with some lifestyle adjustments.

According to bigfooty boffins here he got roped in to help friends or family, that it wasn't driven by needing money for himself. He's almost a modern day Robin Hood really, taking from the money exchange conglomerates to give to the poor. It's admirable if true.

I hope you don't think all the evidence has been laid out in a couple of Herald Sun articles and that "you can't prove it!" is going to get the case closed.
I hope you can read. You understand the police have not alleged he was at any of the premises. As well you do understand what they have alleged against him. He purchased clothes and tools, he hired a van, had alleged bad money in van and 15k went into his bank account. You can’t see holes?
Even better than displaying your reading skills perhaps you can enlighten us on how they can have proof of money in the van other than relying on hear say. Logic would say to me they had no clue, at the time Pickett was driving the van, who the culprits were. Can you show us evidence where he has ‘taken money from the exchange conglomerate?’ Didn’t think so.
So if they can’t prove it, case closed. Whether you like it or not.
Perhaps listen to your own advice and don’t get sucked into headlines and what the papers say. Maybe you got it from Facebook or TikTok but the same applies. Apply your own critical thinking and you might be enlightened.
And if you are putting your faith in WA coppers that’s a good laugh. They are continually made to look foolish and inept.

So best case scenario is he's incredibly naive and needs to cut ties with some people and worst case is he's involved in organised crime. Either way, it sounds like he could do with some lifestyle adjustments.
Hasn’t been charged with aiding and abating ..has been charged with agrivated burglary

So it’s not like he was roped into by association

say it aint so marlion :(

I reckon he was just trying to help out some mates who were down on their luck, they asked him for some cash for clothes/tools/to hire a van, he helped them out no questions asked, becasuse that is the type of guy he is

these tiny amounts, 6k/9k could be mates paying him back becasue he has lent money to them previously

I agree. The sledge hammers he used peviously are the ones that you use to buy at the local show and they made noises when you donked people with them , because thats the type of person he is.

s-l1600.jpg

Hasn’t been charged with aiding and abating ..has been charged with agrivated burglary

So it’s not like he was roped into by association
Doesn't sound like it, no. Strange side hustle.

As opposed to hiding out in some crawlspace in Girrawheen? Lol 🥴

Good of him to speak to the cops since they needed to speak to him, he would've been wanting to be as cooperative as possible and do you think his manager wouldn't have said "yeah you better get there for a chat."

After that chat and knowing what they want with him of course that changes things. Passports get taken from you, conditions put in place as they have been to check in with police regularly etc.
No. Any reasonable person would know exactly where Marlion was going to be this week - training at Punt Road Oval by Tuesday, playing the saints on Saturday, and so on. A thousand pairs of eyes on him every day of the week nearly.

Nobody as recognizable as Marlion is hiding out or fleeing anywhere.

I cannot see the grounds for remand...this whole thing is starting to smell

"Pickett was granted bail to return to Melbourne with weekly reporting conditions that will allow him to play football on the weekends."

I hate to say I told you so, but...

As for the case, obviously one newpaper report wont tell the whole story, but from what is there, I think it could fall through the cracks between "we know he did it" and "we can prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did it".

I dare say the police probably have more on the others in the group and threw this in for completeness and negotating power. (common police tactic is what they call a 'burger with the lot'...charge someone with everything you can possibly associate with the crime, and then agree to drop some/most of the charges if they will plead guilty to the rest. In this case, it could also be a group thing...If Person X pleads guilty, we'll drop Person Y's charges).

If also means that police are not left open to suggestions of bias/improprietry that could arise if 'An AFL Star' escapes charges even though there is a reasonable chance he was involved.
If you think the police would lay 'hail Mary' charges against a high-profile sports star, with the financial backing of a significant football club and the resulting publicity it would generate, you are kidding yourself. It's the opposite... the higher-ups would demand every i is dotted and every t is crossed before they even contemplate charging him. Given the financial nature of the crimes and the ability to track transactions, he would have to be concerned that the case is a slam dunk for them to take this step.

You understand the police have not alleged he was at any of the premises.
Someone need not be at the place to help commit a crime. I understand this.
Even better than displaying your reading skills perhaps you can enlighten us on how they can have proof of money in the van other than relying on hear say.
I don't know what they're relying on, should we wait and see?
Can you show us evidence where he has ‘taken money from the exchange conglomerate?’ Didn’t think so.
I said if true. Now who's not reading.
So if they can’t prove it, case closed.
I agree. On the same token, if they can prove it case closed.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is this reported?

During Pickett’s bail application, prosecutors said he was tied to the alleged crimes because his phone “pinged” near one of the burglary locations at the time the offence was being committed.

If you think the police would lay 'hail Mary' charges against a high-profile sports star, with the financial backing of a significant football club and the resulting publicity it would generate, you are kidding yourself. It's the opposite... the higher-ups would demand every i is dotted and every t is crossed before they even contemplate charging him. Given the financial nature of the crimes and the ability to track transactions, he would have to be concerned that the case is a slam dunk for them to take this step.
Tend to agree, but then again the detectives refused him liberty last night, only to have a magistrate find that completely unneccessary this morning.

So they have already opened themselves up to looking, at the very least, heavy-handed.

During Pickett’s bail application, prosecutors said he was tied to the alleged crimes because his phone “pinged” near one of the burglary locations at the time the offence was being committed.

b3043d9f279e4c91824f1d7890d79d60ae69dfdf

Old mate does not look impressed leaving court

Is that it? I thought he was caught with a car boot filled with an extraordinary amount of Reflex paper.

Tend to agree, but then again the detectives refused him liberty last night, only to have a magistrate find that completely unneccessary this morning.

So they have already opened themselves up to looking, at the very least, heavy-handed.

Its very standard practice across the board (particularly with someone who is due to leave the state as pickett was) to pick someone up for one night in custody pending a bail hearing the next morning. Its not heavy handed at all and would get done in 98 % of cases regardless of who the accused is. You cant complain about that in this case unless youre complaining about it across the board in the whole system.

You do understand that,for any crime like this, the accused goes before the magistrate, who grants (or refuses) bail.The police doesn’t just ‘let someone go’ after they are charged with something.

In most cases (including this one I would estimate) the DPP wouldn’t have even opposed bail.

that doesn’t mean the police were wrong to hold him overnight - that’s what they are required to do.

You gotta give it to BigFooty, every club has one (some many!) of those psycho mega-posters ready and mobilised within hours of a player being accused of a crime and they wow us all with their in-depth knowledge of not only the player’s character and the case in question but also their encyclopaedic knowledge of the criminal justice system, police tactics and intentions, complex cultural considerations and of course, a fully accurate moral compass to wrap it all up.

Outstanding work.

This is starting to stink horribly, Pickett went willingly to a meeting - as if he then suddenly was a flight risk/danger to society and needed to be remanded in custody. WTAH!

WA police has a lot to explain.

'Pickett...arranged to meet with detectives at Midland Police Station on Sunday.

“He came in the knowledge that the police wanted to speak with him,” he said.

“He stayed and as he arranged with police to meet with them and attended a meeting with Midland cops yesterday and then was refused bail.”'

My advice to Pickett- never go back to WA, do not trust the cops after that.
I know tigers supporters are generally pretty unreasonable when it comes to their team but this whole post reeks of absolute stupidity.

How dare the police charge him and then follow the law and due process

I know tigers supporters are generally pretty unreasonable when it comes to their team but this whole post reeks of absolute stupidity.
This does not help the conversation at all.

Please keep it civil. We have already removed one of your posts.

Thank you.

Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back