Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett has been charged by WA Police with four counts of aggravated burglary, with three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage among his other charges.
The alleged offences took place between December 2022 and January 2023.
Pickett has a “strong intent” to defend himself, his manager Anthony Van Der Wielen told 7NEWS in a statement.

Racist comments will immediately cop a long break from Bigfooty, discuss the issue not the skin colour or race.
Thank you.

P.S This thread has nothing to do with the Clarkson/Racism review discussion.
This thread is not the place to discuss the prison system and prisoner rehabilitation, you can take that to the SRP board.
This is the scandals and rumours board only, please stay on topic in here.

Last edited:
You do understand that,for any crime like this, the accused goes before the magistrate, who grants (or refuses) bail.The police doesn’t just ‘let someone go’ after they are charged with something.

In most cases (including this one I would estimate) the DPP wouldn’t have even opposed bail.

that doesn’t mean the police were wrong to hold him overnight - that’s what they are required to do.
This is a not a murder or assault though, right? I would be amazed if WA works that way, you are not automatically remanded in custody following a charge. The default position should be release with commitment to attend court at a future date, and maybe others about associating with certain folk etc.

Unless you are considered a dnager or a flight riskv (which I totally agree with, when relevant).

Remanding someone is a serious decision. Especially for someone from indigenous community which could be extra-vulnerable in detention. Would be interesting indeed to know the grounds for detaining Marlion and if they did/didn't oppose further detention.

I'm not an advocate for famous people being treated differently, but it is a simple fact that Pickett's fame made his flight risk virtually zero, and hard to believe he could reasonably be considered a danger to anyone whiel training and playing for RFC, (where he was clearly heading next after coming to the station voluntarily to help the cops with enquiries, ffs!)

Tend to agree, but then again the detectives refused him liberty last night, only to have a magistrate find that completely unneccessary this morning.

So they have already opened themselves up to looking, at the very least, heavy-handed.
The Magistrate found it completely unnecessary to detain a suspect on serious charges or the Magistrate set bail conditions due to the serious charges?

This does not help the conversation at all.

Please keep it civil. We have already removed one of your posts.

Thank you.
Yes one of my posts the advocated for rehabilitation in prisons so don’t act like it was an out of line post.

Be sure to flag all the posts calling into question WA Police in the interests of being civil

Yes one of my posts the advocated for rehabilitation in prisons so don’t act like it was an out of line post.

Be sure to flag all the posts calling into question WA Police in the interests of being civil
No, dude. calling people stupid and the like. That's uncivil. Makes work for mods. Don't do it. Thank you.

This is a not a murder or assault though, right? I would be amazed if WA works that way, you are not automatically remanded in custody following a charge. The default position should be release with commitment to attend court at a future date, and maybe others about associating with certain folk etc.

Unless you are considered a dnager or a flight riskv (which I totally agree with, when relevant).

Remanding someone is a serious decision. Especially for someone from indigenous community which could be extra-vulnerable in detention. Would be interesting indeed to know the grounds for detaining Marlion and if they did/didn't oppose further detention.

I'm not an advocate for famous people being treated differently, but it is a simple fact that Pickett's fame made his flight risk virtually zero, and hard to believe he could reasonably be considered a danger to anyone whiel training and playing for RFC, (where he was clearly heading next after coming to the station voluntarily to help the cops with enquiries, ffs!)

I think you are significantly understating the seriousness of the alleged charges.

The ‘aggravated’ charge implies they were ready and willing to commit violence against one or more persons.

Good to see you’re advocating racism when it comes to a decision on if someone should be detained pending a decision by a magistrate on bail.

i think him being allowed to continue playing AFL really is providing him with beneficial treatment, if it was any tom dick or harry they wouldn’t be afforded the same treatment

The guy would have literally had a flight booked for the night they arrested him and they needed him in court the next day, of course they held onto him for the night, they don’t want him going interstate before he sees court.

Amazingly ‘well a footy player wouldn’t be that stupid’ really doesn’t cut it.

How is it even a discussion as to why he spent the night in custody?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Police have a lot of proceedures around this kind of stuff. They dont just make it up as they go along.

They need to have a certain amount of evidence in order to charge him. That doesnt mean he is automatically guilty, but the Police cannot just randomly arrest and charge someone because they feel like it.

Sounds like Marlion had a fair idea that he was going to be charged. He knew the cops wanted to 'speak to him', and he delayed it from Friday when they suggested, until after the game. He was then interviewed, and formally arrested and charged. This happens a fair amount with crimes that are charged at a later date rather than at the scene of the crime.

Being charged with serious offences, having been convicted of these same serious offences in the past and having served time for them, and living in a different state - being held on remand in order to appear before a Magistrate to determine bail is pretty standard. Its up to a Magistrate or Judge to determine if bail is appropriate, and what conditions might be required.

The police havent done anything wrong here - even if he ends up with charges being downgraded or dropped, or gets found not guilty.

Having said all that - Marlion is entitled to be presumed innocent. Because the police believe that he did it, and have some evidence to suggest so ... doesnt mean he did. He may have significant evidence that he wasnt involved, he may have things that show the police evidence is incorrect, may have mitigating circumstances, may have evidence that he did something lesser but not all of those charges - being charged is only a preliminary step.

Given his past, that he was obviously a troubled teenager, and served time for various offences and then has turned his life around - I would have thought he would be less likely to be significantly involved and deserves the benefit of the doubt.

i think him being allowed to continue playing AFL really is providing him with beneficial treatment, if it was any tom dick or harry they wouldn’t be afforded the same treatment

Have there been players stopped from playing in the AFL due to charges being laid against them where the players indicates he will defend the charges?

The Police have a lot of proceedures around this kind of stuff. They dont just make it up as they go along.

They need to have a certain amount of evidence in order to charge him. That doesnt mean he is automatically guilty, but the Police cannot just randomly arrest and charge someone because they feel like it.

Sounds like Marlion had a fair idea that he was going to be charged. He knew the cops wanted to 'speak to him', and he delayed it from Friday when they suggested, until after the game. He was then interviewed, and formally arrested and charged. This happens a fair amount with crimes that are charged at a later date rather than at the scene of the crime.

Being charged with serious offences, having been convicted of these same serious offences in the past and having served time for them, and living in a different state - being held on remand in order to appear before a Magistrate to determine bail is pretty standard. Its up to a Magistrate or Judge to determine if bail is appropriate, and what conditions might be required.

The police havent done anything wrong here - even if he ends up with charges being downgraded or dropped, or gets found not guilty.

Having said all that - Marlion is entitled to be presumed innocent. Because the police believe that he did it, and have some evidence to suggest so ... doesnt mean he did. He may have significant evidence that he wasnt involved, he may have things that show the police evidence is incorrect, may have mitigating circumstances, may have evidence that he did something lesser but not all of those charges - being charged is only a preliminary step.

Given his past, that he was obviously a troubled teenager, and served time for various offences and then has turned his life around - I would have thought he would be less likely to be significantly involved and deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Im sorry to shit on your otherwise well reasoned and informed post but you seem blissfully ignorant that this bloke plays for Richmond.

It will be interesting to see what the AFL and Richmond do in reguards to his playing status though.

He is entitled to be presumed innocent, and continue with his life until he can face court ... but when facing serious charges it is also bringing the game and the league into disrepute to not do anything.

Standing him down on full pay is one option - and might be best for his own safety given the racial vilification he will undoubtedly face if he does play :( - but while he is sill being paid, not playing for a year or more until this goes to court is a significant disadvantage for someone who may not be guilty of anything but associating with people who did bad things.

tough one.

Have there been players stopped from playing in the AFL due to charges being laid against them where the players indicates he will defend the charges?
milne comes to mind when he had his rape charge

I think Milne was stood down for 2 rounds, then started playing again….
milne comes to mind when he had his rape charge

It looks like in that case Milne and St Kilda FC agreed he should take indefinite leave after being charged in 2013, 9 years after the incident giving rise to the charges. Milne missed 3 matches around the middle of that season.

I think in this case, given Marlion is defending the charges, the Magistrate has indicated the case against him is not overwhelming, and he has not been involved in some heavily stigmatised wrongdoing, it would just come down to whether Richmond FC and Marlion himself believe he is in a fit state to continue playing.

I half expect Pickett to play this weekend against St Kilda.

Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back