Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett has been charged by WA Police with four counts of aggravated burglary, with three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage among his other charges.
The alleged offences took place between December 2022 and January 2023.
Pickett has a “strong intent” to defend himself, his manager Anthony Van Der Wielen told 7NEWS in a statement.

Racist comments will immediately cop a long break from Bigfooty, discuss the issue not the skin colour or race.
Thank you.

P.S This thread has nothing to do with the Clarkson/Racism review discussion.
This thread is not the place to discuss the prison system and prisoner rehabilitation, you can take that to the SRP board.
This is the scandals and rumours board only, please stay on topic in here.

Last edited:

How often do you give your phone to someone else to borrow?
Might have left it in the car. I’ve left my phone in the car before have you? It’s not about what I do anyway. It’s about proving someone was somewhere using what can be an unreliable method.
But people thinking the post on that was a gimmick are wrong. Humble pie for them.

It's a bail hearing, not a trial.

The police/prosecutor don't need to prove the case, or use all the evidence they have, they just need to convince the judge that there is enough of a case to be worthy of further examination (AKA a trial) with all the time/expense that will involve.

Judge was basically saying that they'll need more to convict, but they showed they have enough to justify it moving forward to a full trail.

Of course. But should a person who has expressed the intention to contest charges be stopped from plying their trade before those charges are tested at trial? This is the point I was addressing.

I think the answer to this question depends on a number of factors, like the gravity of the crime, how stigmatised it is(thinking about sponsors etc,) whether there appears to be an open and shut case against the accused, whether there is a continuing pattern of criminal or anti-social behaviour, perhaps amongst other considerations.

For mine, based on what has been reported, I would be comfortable with Pickett playing from Richmond at least until more is known.

It's likely imo that Pickett knew what he was giving the cash for but didn't participate in it so he thought he would be clean even if someone got caught. No risk, small reward type thing. Probably whats undone him is the phone ping near the location and the deposits into his bank account. Maybe a co accused has dobbed him in too

Of course. But should a person who has expressed the intention to contest charges be stopped from plying their trade before those charges are tested at trial? This is the point I was addressing.

I think the answer to this question depends on a number of factors, like the gravity of the crime, how stigmatised it is(thinking about sponsors etc,) whether there appears to be an open and shut case against the accused, whether there is a continuing pattern of criminal or anti-social behaviour, perhaps amongst other considerations.

For mine, based on what has been reported, I would be comfortable with Pickett playing from Richmond at least until more is known.

I, being in the category of ‘Not A Richmond Supporter’, hold a differing view….

A magistrate cannot say that the police have an overwhelming case. Not until they have heard all the evidence. The fact that they commented as much as they did would indicate that the beak thought there was a case to answer.

A Magistrate could certainly say that if that is how things appeared.

I attended court over a civil matter once and the Judge said to me: "look what you are up against(a barrister in a wig and a lawyer with a brief case full of documents,) why are you here? You have no chance, you appear to be wasting everybody's time." I said I am here to contest their claims as is my right, and their posh accents and wigs don't trouble me, and I am confident I am better prepared to argue this matter than they are. The Judge then gave me a fair hearing.

A Magistrate would not be out of line in stating the Police have a very strong case against someone if that is how things appear to the Magistrate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's likely imo that Pickett knew what he was giving the cash for but didn't participate in it so he thought he would be clean even if someone got caught. No risk, small reward type thing. Probably whats undone him is the phone ping near the location and the deposits into his bank account. Maybe a co accused has dobbed him in too

This is merely one of a range of possible explanations from what has been reported. One feature of our legal system is supposed to be natural justice. Where both sides are heard before anyone makes up their mind as to the truth of the matter.

The truth will come out but at face value but it doesn't look good.

The real tragedy is the possibility clubs are going to be even more reluctant to pick up kids with rough backgrounds who need 24/7 support to help change their lives and become a professional athlete.
Sounds like he's in strife.

But let's just focus purely on value for money on field.

Richmond have done very well from his services

70 games. Some good finals. Cost them next to nothing.

Sounds like he's in strife.

But let's just focus purely on value for money on field.

Richmond have done very well from his services

70 games. Some good finals. Cost them next to nothing.
I think the takeaway message is that if you're going to draft a bloke who has antecedents for burglary, make sure he's over the age of 26 to mitigate the lost games he could have played for the club when he invariably gets rumbled for burglary.

Well played, Tigers. Well played.

It's a bail hearing, not a trial.

The police/prosecutor don't need to prove the case, or use all the evidence they have, they just need to convince the judge that there is enough of a case to be worthy of further examination (AKA a trial) with all the time/expense that will involve.

Judge was basically saying that they'll need more to convict, but they showed they have enough to justify it moving forward to a full trail.
I think you're describing a committal hearing here, not a bail hearing. All Pickett is trying to do at this stage is get off remand and assure the police and the courts that he will attend any future court hearings if required. The police may oppose bail if they believe he is a risk of absconding or tampering with witnesses.

was whispers his BIL dobbed him in

Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back