List Mgmt. Marsh going home for personal reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

That's two number 17s in a row who have walked out. Always seemed pretty hard on himself and the type who wears their heart on their sleeve. Obviously more to this than has been released from the club and the family line is a bit odd with his brother being in Sydney. It does explain why he didn't see the year out in the VFL finals though.

With WC having a surplus of KPD I can only see Fremantle being interested.

EDIT:
I think this paragraph is rather telling, but I don't think it's well served speculating about what could be read between the lines.
Collingwood has been, and will continue to be, in contact with Jonathon and his family and will make certain Jonathon’s health and wellbeing are best served.

Last edited:
Suns Henry Schade could pop up in the Witts trade if you guys are looking for a similar player to Marsh?

He is contracted but out of favour with Rocket and looking for more senior opportunity. Up for trade as we need to clear senior spots.
I like him but I just don't think he's a Collingwood recruit. For some reason they never go for low profile players. They either pull bigger names or head to the draft.

Would welcome him here with open arms.

Darling has been discussed a few times on BF. The Weagles have also dropped a few carrots out there recently to see who is interested. That alone shows you that he is no good and they are trying to trade him before his value completely bottoms out. IMO he is soooooooooooooo over rated and jumps at shadows. It would also take 5 years to remove the staging for free's element out of his game. He has choked in the last 2 final series, one being the GF.

Please NO
... but on the other hand, a competent key forward.

Anyone who thinks that Marsh wouldn't have struggled with this decision needs their head read. Whatever reason, I'm sure he understands these opportunities aren't handed out so there is something driving his decision and let the kid be.

players come and go, not the first and won't be the last. Good luck to him with whatever direction he takes, you only live once.

Hating the coach could be classified as a "personal reason" too.
Sure but probably does not lead to you standing in front of your team mates in tears telling them how much of a struggle life is the minute the last siren for the season goes. Some people are just wired differently and we should accept it. Much easier than creating fanciful hypotheticals.

Whatever the reasons for Marsh's departure, and whatever might be said about those reasons, I think that Marsh is a loss. He seemed to be a likeable bloke, and football clubs need those.

He has deficiencies as a player (disposal), but on the other hand he's a fantastic reader of the play. He also has an 'energy' about him which I always liked. To be honest, I liked watching him play and it's unfortunate that he won't be doing that for us.

I wish him all the best, but in doing so I can only hope he doesn't read anything that anyone has to say on these boards.

Never been a fan of Marsh so I can't say I am not happy with him departing the club but I do wish him well and hope the club can get a deal done with his club of choice.

We need to trade for a tall defender now and stop targeting midfielders or we will be stuffed if we have to rely on Reid not getting injured.

That's two number 17s in a row who have walked out. Always seemed pretty hard on himself and the type who wears their heart on their sleeve. Obviously more to this than has been released from the club and the family line is a bit confusing with his brother being in Sydney. It does explain why he didn't see the year out in the VFL finals though.

With WC having a surplus of KPD I can only see Fremantle being interested.
And in other news, 90% of Collingwood members have requested the number 17 be handed to Corey Gault for season 2017, congratulations Gault, don't let us down.

This is not good.

Uncomfortable with the fact we have no reliable defensive stock depth at all now.

Could be dire if our injury history continues at the pace it always seems to.
You will find that Marsh featured quite strongly in the injury statistics of the previous years.

Sure but probably does not lead to you standing in front of your team mates in tears telling them how much of a struggle life is the minute the last siren for the season goes. Some people are just wired differently and we should accept it. Much easier than creating fanciful hypotheticals.
And in the year 2016
We can surely understand some issues need care.

That really irritates me as a view to be honest GG (and others who have said this pissed them off).

Collingwood might have been the best club in the land, but if he has personal issues, or there is a problem at home, then sometimes there's little we can do about it.

We don't own these guys. I was in a similar situation living interstate at the age of 27, with a wife with severe post natal depression, a two year old and another baby on the way and absolutely no family support available there and funnily enough worsening depression of my own. I went to my managers and committed what seemed like career suicide by having to give them a "transfer me to Melbourne or I have to quit" ultimatum. I hated doing it, but there really was no other way for me to look after my family.

Life happens. From what we've heard on this board, Marsh has some genuine issues he's struggling with - this isn't a cash grab.

Wish him all the best. I hope the system makes it easy and painless from our point of view to do the right thing and get him home with a viable career still in front of him. But I hope we do the right thing regardless.

There is nothing in the statement that says they’re releasing him, or that he is cancelling his contract.

If he’s got personal issues and needs support family is the best place to be. Too many keyboard warriors who think they’re ‘tough’ by calling him a wimp/sook/etc.

He’s still a kid. Have some perspective.

He won’t necessarily look at an AFL gig in Perth if he lives in Margaret River, that’s a 3.5 hour commute on a good day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missing family, struggling with life, hates Buckley?
All can be adult issues. You're starting to sound a bit like the knobs from Brisbane when they took to Twitter after 5 of their teammates left. You're usually more measured than that.
As for him hating Buckley and or the club, why can't we wait for confirmation before drawing conclusions?

I highly doubt you would ever get confirmation. Whilst you sometimes get an inkling it is not a reason players and managers give for leaving. The only example I can think of recently is Griffin who clearly had issues with the coach.

As I have said before I was told 6 weeks ago he was not happy and that he is not a fan of Bucks and was weighing up his options. I strongly believe all of these to be true but the main reason he leaves could still be for family reasons.

If anyone is wanting to know the exact reasons you probably wont find out.

I don't get it. Im from WA and I would have given my left nut to play footy in melbourne from 18-30. Im now 30 and still wanting to move over there. Our beaches are good thats about it. Melbourne kicks Perths ass in every other part of life ( woman included ). My ex was friends with his sister so he has no family issues they are normal. Such BS. I would move to melbourne just be an AFL player and be on tinder. What more does a 21year old want anyway these days.. :p

Regardless this hurts out KP stocks.. keefe in for a big year next year now.

And in other news, 90% of Collingwood members have requested the number 17 be handed to Corey Gault for season 2017, congratulations Gault, don't let us down.
Amongst the gloom,
A bright witticism....

Not happy about this, if it weren't for us he probably wouldnt of even been on a senior list.

Huge fan of him, thought he would of repaid us, obviously not.

The WA teams might not even want him, couldnt care less if he makes it as an AFL player or not now.

or..
perhaps that detail you quote is part of the management of the news.
we will probably never know for sure. Do you? If not then you seem to have already adopted a view.. based on speculation.
So yeah... people are entitled to speculate on an internet chat forum about Footy... it's kind of a big part of it actually.

I am pretty angry about this.

I think as a club we've shown quite a lot of faith in Marsh, picking him up as a late pick and then giving him games quite early on.

The rumours about his rift with Bucks might now have some substance to it, but either way, he's having a rift with a coach who has more faith in him than ******* Travis Cloke and he wants to move back home?

As far as I can tell, all calculations like "faith", "loyalty", "support", have been thrown out the window. They just don't apply anymore. Now it's $ (Mitchell) and what's good for club/or player as an individual and stuff everything else. This trade period has really shown that. Depressing.

Very disappointing as he's a player with massive upside in my opinion, but the nature of football has changed that I'm no longer emotionally invested in our players like I once was, and hence it's no longer heartbreaking when they decide to leave.

The club just needs to make the best of the situation in regards to trading if Marshy wants to play with either West Coast or Fremantle in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Marsh going home for personal reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back