Game Day Marsh Series- Matchday Discussion St Kilda@Collingwood(Morwell Reserve - 3:50PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sold on Wills either (but I'm too often wrong). He has a real thirst for the contest but seems to lack the tricks and speed to be more than a battering ram.

He good Chance be gone at Years end

I'm not too worried about the outcome today given the way we applied certain personnel. Those noting that the Saints were at full strength should recognise that possibly their two best players Gresham and Ross (with Brad Hill in that mix now) were rested for the day.

Taking the piss right, Ross wouldn’t get a game in our seconds!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, need Sier back asap.

There are so many of us armchair experts that are simply throwing this out there but there must be a reason he hasn’t had a look-in to date. I’m prepared to trust the match committee who have observed far more of the summer than we have. I, too, would like to see him put his best foot forward but think it’ll be a block of strong VFL performances (over 25 disposals, 5+ tackles and the odd goal) to get him in. Tyler seems to be preferred and I’m not against that based on his capacity to play on the wing too

He good Chance be gone at Years end

The season hasn’t even started and we are already writing a player’s obituary. Ridiculous even despite the mass dislike of the player in question

Rich are the benchmark. We comfortably beat them last week and looked very good, with both sides equally matched though depleted by top end talent on the day.

Why people are ignoring this result and focus on a game against the Saints as more relevant to our prospects for the season is quite bizarre.

Interesting take on Wills in here. It's as if he's keeping a seat warm for someone else.

But I would suggest we have a look at his role within what appears to be two distinct game plans we've trialled.

Sidebottom's second goal, after a surging handball chain from the centre bounce appears to be a game style we can execute quite well. It's a style that's appeared in patches this pre-season and is handball-centric. The other is the maligned keepings-off, kicking game everyone is concerned about.

Wills isn't the finisher in either style, he's the disruptor that causes an opposition turnover. His role is only effective if our skilled players take advantage of his work. In other words, what I want to see is whether his 8 to 10 tackles a game lead directly to 4, 6, 8+ scoring opportunities. If we're marking Wills like we mark Sidebottom or De Goey, then we've missed the point. In both games, as a disruptor, Wills did a pretty good job and is best suited to that role. I think he's one of the safest in our starting 22. But players like WHE, Phillips, Thomas, Daicos etc they need to start cashing in. That's where our attention should be...

I'll bite on this one. If Rupert's role is as you say a "disruptor that causes an opposition turnover", via tackling then aren't we actually gifting the opposition possession in the hope that Rupert might make a disruptive tackle?
Look I know it's simplistic but if Wills is at a centre bounce his modus operandi is "stop his opponent from getting a clearance" he's not clearance hunting himself. It's stark when JDG goes in there because he doesn't care if he's tagged, held or blocked he just gets the ball and usually at speed.

Rupert desperately needs other strings to his bow (Speed, brilliant distributive hands, great vision, dual sided kicking skills...you know all the things that REAL midfielders have) and the things that make other teams actually think about you as a player. At the moment we're playing a slow, brick wall that blocks and tackles oppo mids 10 times a game (out of 60 stoppages?) and who actually clogs up our midfield.

People have actually called for Shaz to have a go in the mids and I just shake my head at that....Rupert is getting lots of minutes in there though so who knows??

Adams is key here, we lost our formidable game style last year because of his absence. We need a minimum 18 games out of him this including the GF if we're to win it.

You know I'm a believer in the role for role model i:e not personnel reliant, but Adams is key to our swarm game - without him will be very difficult to take the cup.
I think Adams adds great leadership & intensity, but his fumbling and disposal constantly hurts us. We were streaming forward again on Sunday, only for him to kick directly to an opposition player, then within the blink of an eye, Saints converted a goal at the other end. I think he needs to swap with Elliott as a perm crumbing, high pressure forward, where he cant turn the ball over.

I think Adams adds great leadership & intensity, but his fumbling and disposal constantly hurts us. We were streaming forward again on Sunday, only for him to kick directly to an opposition player, then within the blink of an eye, Saints converted a goal at the other end. I think he needs to swap with Elliott as a perm crumbing, high pressure forward, where he cant turn the ball over.

It's just not Adams

Sidey is at his peak. He'll never be as effective again as 2018, but thats because he wasn't tagged that often in 2018. It was a breakout year where he rose suddenly in terms of impact. He was so good in 2018 that from now on hes going to regularly cop a tag when he starts to have an impact.

Yes he gets more 'attention' than previously but hard tags are rare on him, in part because of his two way running - he has tank and not many can glove him for the full 120 mins.

Even yesterday we saw him drift forward and he snagged a couple, he may not have a 2018 again but I'm willing to bet he's got potential to have a much better season than 2019.

Yes he gets more 'attention' than previously but hard tags are rare on him, in part because of his two way running - he has tank and not many can glove him for the full 120 mins.

Even yesterday we saw him drift forward and he snagged a couple, he may not have a 2018 again but I'm willing to bet he's got potential to have a much better season than 2019.

Is it any coincidence that Pendles is having a mini renaissance since oppo teams decided to tag Sidey? Yin and Yang.

It's just not Adams

As TD says it's not just Adams, that's not excusing it. I don't see Adams disposal becoming consistently reliable, however his role is not disposal reliant like our outside receivers or forwards. He's a see ball get ball player and he's required to stay inside the coalface that's where he's most serviceable. It was immediately evident from all reports when he went off yesterday.

When he's not in there it hurts us, I'd like to see Adams used like he was in 2018. Ideally he indirectly compliments the forwards by winning it in the hard stuff that makes it easier for our outside receivers who directly influence how our forwards perform.

Is it any coincidence that Pendles is having a mini renaissance since oppo teams decided to tag Sidey? Yin and Yang.

Yeah that's not a given, Sides is a wingman not a defined mid, Pendles is a centreman or ruck rover. I'd argue his mini renaissance continued exceptional consistency is due to Scott Pendlebury not because there's 'more tag' on Sides.

Oppositions aren't just going to turn a blind eye to Pendles because Sides, that's a certain way to lose the game - they're no mugs they'll be keeping a keen eye on both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich are the benchmark. We comfortably beat them last week and looked very good, with both sides equally matched though depleted by top end talent on the day.

Why people are ignoring this result and focus on a game against the Saints as more relevant to our prospects for the season is quite bizarre.
Here here! Put yourself in the players shoes, last practice match before round one, its practice match number 4 for most of the boys, put in intensely when you have too, take it a little easy for the last half, nobody wants to get injured........yet we've lost Trelaor and question mark over Adams for round 1. Overall still very much liked what I've seen this preseason focusing on the young & untried group of players on our list.

Yeah that's not a given, Sides is a wingman not a defined mid, Pendles is a centreman or ruck rover. I'd argue his mini renaissance continued exceptional consistency is due to Scott Pendlebury not because there's 'more tag' on Sides.

Oppositions aren't just going to turn a blind eye to Pendles because Sides, that's a certain way to lose the game - they're no mugs they'll be keeping a keen eye on both.

I musta been watching different games to you then cos Rusty's been a mid for years now. He does cover a lot of ground but he's in the guts a lot as well. And he gets stuck into on here for not being able to escape midfield tags like Hutchings did in the 2018 GF

I musta been watching different games to you then cos Rusty's been a mid for years now. He does cover a lot of ground but he's in the guts a lot as well. And he gets stuck into on here for not being able to escape midfield tags like Hutchings did in the 2018 GF

I agree Sides does spend a lot of time in the coalface which makes him unique as a wingman, a wingman first and foremost none the less. While I agree he attracts tags rarely is there a tagger that can glove him for the full 120 mins.

No Hutchings and we have our 16th cup agreed.

My take

Missed opportunity to play Cameron & Keane today

We can’t keep playing Cox if nothing is different with his game over last year.

Stephenson & WHE really need to pick up their game in a hurry & provide headache options for the opposition with Elliott & JDG down there as well ( Stevo won’t play for the first few rounds )

Defence got a lot of good practice today and stood up

Q. What happen to Mihocek after halftime?

Need to be much more direct & move it quickly instead of that sideways shit, Had Brown kicked that goal late we probably win

Grundy ran around at half pace today and looked like he was counting his money !

Overall good enough against a full strength Saints team that had much more to prove.

After halftime we literally had a very much unders in talent on the ground yet we stood up. With a bit be skill in close & ball use we could have pulled off an upset

Bring on Rd 1

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No Carlisle, Gresham and BNF player Ross. Saints not at their best by any means

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'll bite on this one. If Rupert's role is as you say a "disruptor that causes an opposition turnover", via tackling then aren't we actually gifting the opposition possession in the hope that Rupert might make a disruptive tackle?
Look I know it's simplistic but if Wills is at a centre bounce his modus operandi is "stop his opponent from getting a clearance" he's not clearance hunting himself. It's stark when JDG goes in there because he doesn't care if he's tagged, held or blocked he just gets the ball and usually at speed.

Rupert desperately needs other strings to his bow (Speed, brilliant distributive hands, great vision, dual sided kicking skills...you know all the things that REAL midfielders have) and the things that make other teams actually think about you as a player. At the moment we're playing a slow, brick wall that blocks and tackles oppo mids 10 times a game (out of 60 stoppages?) and who actually clogs up our midfield.

People have actually called for Shaz to have a go in the mids and I just shake my head at that....Rupert is getting lots of minutes in there though so who knows??
If a player has a role, it doesn't mean that the other skills of the game are neglected. He isn't quick, he isn't damaging with his kicking. He is quite good at getting the handball out under tackling pressure and he knocks opposition players over. Yes, there are areas of his game that lack polish.

But another scenario I'd offer you to show the benefits of Wills and his role is how he frees up a player like Pendlebury at stoppages. Pendles has assumed the responsibility of marking big midfielders like Cripps, Bontempelli, Kennedy et al, in recent seasons. If Wills can be the disruptor against these big bodied mids, then Pendlebury gets to do what Pendlebury does... as an example.

Sidebottoms best years were as a starting mid.
last year Buckley moved him to the wing when Beams was introduced. Wing is not his best place, and it showed early on.
Sidebottoms year never recovered from that coaching misstep. Maybe this year normal transmission will be resumed.

He's been on the wing since about 2014 - 15 if I am correct. He's an elite any position player, his key is all day running and that makes him a more outside receiver type than say a Tay Adams - completely different players.

I'd rather Tay on the inside and Sides on the outside, best suited for both.

Sides on the wing doesn't hamper us, what hampered Sides last year was a change in game style. Massaging the ball out of the contest i:e trying to control transition does not suit receiver types like Sides. Swarm and spread like 2018 does.

To get that swarm and spread we are personnel reliant for a grunt inside mid like Adams or a much improved Wills / Sier. That releases players like Sides and Phillips off the chain and are allowed to roam to optimum position and run their wing opponents into the ground. That's the ideal not move Sides to the coalface.

Everybody says this was a practice match, then comments as if it wasn't.
As I saw it, both sides mostly practiced their defensive methods, and that was the cause of the low scores. So many of the goals for both teams were courtesy of umpiring decisions of varying quality. Few were from open play.

For most of the day, St Kilda looked the better side, but they missed some easy goals.

The withdrawal of Pendlebury and Adams from the team halfway through tells everything about the team's approach to the match.

The last 10 minutes looked to me to show the players too proud to actually let he game go, and letting rip despite the instructions. The fact that they were unable to snatch it in the face of St. Kilda's defensive methods when they were giving it a push is the one concerning lesson from the game. Everything else was just practice under game type pressure. Only the few madmen like Adams who don't have the concept of practice without injury in their systems were going flat out.

I was very happy with Howe's touch, but bothered by Cox's lack of it. He really seems to have trouble with that last level of concentration when there is low pressure. I thought Madgen showed a bit, but was showed up for his decisions when he didn't have much time, as was Wills. Callum Brown seems the same as last year: I was expecting more. I liked the look of Tyler, on not many disposals. Elliott didn't seem to be happy in the midfield until late in the game, when he suddenly looked like he was desperate for a win. He fitted in then.
Quite a number, like Grundy and Maynard, were there for the run, and weren't trying to prove anything.
The extra bit of time for Cox in the ruck for the last quarter was a good move, and provided the laugh of the game when the commentators described the ongoing contest between Grundy and Marshall, while the contestants were Cox an Ryder.

Both teams would have gone home satisfied with this. The real thing will be very different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Marsh Series- Matchday Discussion St Kilda@Collingwood(Morwell Reserve - 3:50PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back