Review Match Day thread - Dons vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW guys Hill was actually one of our better players... which is probably a bad thing.

But we do have Brisbane next week, if we lose to them it's time to panic. But player intensity has got to lift. We ran hard when we had the ball, but not as hard when we lost it.

I look forward to Eade's post match presser, would once again talk about irrelevant stuff like effort, intensity, pressure and so on with no hint of a strategic solution.

This is true, although I could put up with him standing on his head and trying his hand at stand up comedy in the presser if he had proper strategic answers for the players, coaching staff, the people who actually matter!

As others have said, the writing was on the wall in Thursday. No matter how much you rate your depth, playing six players with less than 15 games experience (with Grant on 21) is fraught with danger. Leaving Minson out was a terrible decision.

Not many others were available but we need an injection of experience badly. Lake, Minson, Gilbee and Addison will help. Hargrave is a long way off but may make a difference.

Inexperienced players can look a million bucks when surrounded by old heads but when they make up a third of the team you're stuffed.

If the dogs repeat this performance throughout the season, there is no doubt Smorgon will go looking for a new coach.

The serious question Dogs fans might have to ask themselves is...

Would you welcome Mick Malthouse back as coach???

Well as disappointing as that was for you guys I was super impressed with Libba's work around the packs. He is going to be a gun. That diving pick up to handball before he hit the ground was special.

Also the long bombs to no one were a result of the forward press Essendon employed.

It looks like we saw the trend from Collingwood last year and it is probably impossible to be successful to win these days without one.

Kudos to the Bombres. They played very well. A very Collingwood type of game style which we really struggle with.

No excuses for mine. We were just made to look second rate.

We have started the year the same way we finished last year. Flat, no aggression, poor skills and too much downhill skiing. Lots of soul searching for the doggies this week.

If the dogs repeat this performance throughout the season, there is no doubt Smorgon will go looking for a new coach.

The serious question Dogs fans might have to ask themselves is...

Would you welcome Mick Malthouse back as coach???

definitley ! to be really honest, one thing i like about Malthouse is that he wont compromise on the defensive side of collingwood's game - and if you dont do what he says, yr out ! No matter how much experience you have, if you dont perform, or if you dont do what he says, your in the 2's ! this has produced a really competitive side at collingwood from player 1 right to player 40 on the list - However, Eade has always had his favourites and this is wrong...

in all sports, defense is the key and offense starts from defense ! The dogs have been shit house on the defensive side since Eade took over - We can score, yes, but we also let too many goals through too

Eade can't get any better out of the group - Its time for a change i think sadly

We had no run from the backline and the Bombers were in crumbing positions at every contest. We missed Lake taking contested marks, bombing to one of our midfield runners and delivering to a forward.

Too early to get on Eade's back. We'll bounce back with the list we have. Better to be rubbish now than at the end of the season like we have been in the past few years. 23 more weeks of footy is a long time before finals.

Some good signs in Libba, who had a real dip and I thought Hill continually gave it everything.

Jones showed a couple of good things but isn't ready, I'd much prefer Roughhead in the CHF position at this stage.

Murph, Cross, Hudson, Hill, Picken I thought kept trying all day.

First quarter I thought our leg speed had improved considerably from last year, but that only seemed to be when we were winning the ball and not chasing opposition! At times it seemed that Essendon had 4 more players on the field.

Long time reader, first time poster but I must say that you lot are pathetic...

Generally I enjoy what most of you have to say but christ, the way you act after a loss is no better than the average bandwagoner.

You harp on all pre-season about how nothing else matters as long as we are there at the pointy end, recruited well, replaced age with speed etc etc yet after a disappointing R1 loss you all jump on the 'Sack Eade' Bandwagon (amongst others).

Essendon were good, and we were left wanting but thats footy... Fact is we underestimated an up and coming side and lacked spark, no doubt that we will bounce back.

All the dogs e-heroes on the bay have suddenly gone silent and when they rear their heads will make piss weak excuses over anything and everything as to why we got beat (back it up with stats even)

P.S we got soundly beaten R1 2010 aswell and still made top 4

True fans you lot are...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really good post, djcolbung. On Jones, would you persevere with him, or drop him? If drop him, do you think Skinner has done enough to warrant a shot? Not sure about Rough, people who have watched the pre season matches reckon he's been a bit slack while Minnow has really pulled his finger out - so resting Minson/Hudson to the square, Hall and Grant higher up, dump Jones for now?

Can anyone comment on how Sherman went, given he was only on for a quarter and a bit?

Really good post, djcolbung. On Jones, would you persevere with him, or drop him? If drop him, do you think Skinner has done enough to warrant a shot? Not sure about Rough, people who have watched the pre season matches reckon he's been a bit slack while Minnow has really pulled his finger out - so resting Minson/Hudson to the square, Hall and Grant higher up, dump Jones for now?

Can anyone comment on how Sherman went, given he was only on for a quarter and a bit?

Sherman was okay, I thought he might have been brought into it earlier but it wasnt to be. Would be hard to have an impact being brought on so late.

I'd persist with Jones, did some nice things today i thought

Sherman was okay, I thought he might have been brought into it earlier but it wasnt to be.

I'd persist with Jones, did some nice things today i thought

Reckon Sherm did enough to warrant a spot in the starting 18?

I like the idea of persisting with Jones as well, but if he's clearly out of his element, should go back to Willy and earn his spot like anyone else.

Not sure about Jones. He looked slow when chasing opponents and mostly didn't look like a decent target. I think we write this week off and give him another week to see how he performs against the Lions when delivery should be better into the forward line. I still think Jarrad Grant might be a better option as a CHF target, but I like him being deeper in the 50.

Sherman tried but didn't get much of the footy. Had a running shot on goal that missed, but didn't do any better or worse than Djerkurra. Surprised he was a sub, thought he might have been a good option defence earlier on before it blew out.

Reckon Sherm did enough to warrant a spot in the starting 18?

I like the idea of persisting with Jones as well, but if he's clearly out of his element, should go back to Willy and earn his spot like anyone else.

Yeah mate i think Sherman did enough to warrant a spot in the starting 18, we wont know how he really goes till we give him some game time against quality opposition (Brisbane and GCS dont really count imo), you would think he would give us more than someone like Stack.

In regards to Jones, some nice smothers, pressure was always there, dropped a few marks that he should have taken but at the end of the day it wouldn't have changed the result.

I find it staggering how badly you guys have been killed in the middle with all the talent you guys have in htere. Chalk it up to Round One, dont think you guys could play any worse.

You would like to think so, but you never know.

I don't know what to think at the moment, but we are genuine flat track bullies. We will probably smash the Lions and GC in the next two weeks, but that will mean nought.

Can somebody tell me what exactly was wrong with Roughead? To go in with only one ruckman (Williams is not even a part-timer) was criminal.

Let's hope we don't get too many apologists this week. It might only be round one, but today's effort was pathetic.

This time last year we were thrashed by the eventual premiers, this year, we've been smashed by a team who will probably finish in the lower half of the eight. Woeful.

That was horrible. The team selection was perplexing. Why did we only have one ruckman? How was that ever going to work? Our backine is depleted already and up against a forward line loaded with talls and we play one ruckman who is edging over the hill and expect Tom Williams to relieve him. So our already shaky backline loses the big guy to relieve the ruckman and Essendon can rest Ryder up forward and have an extra two tall forwards. WTF?

And why did we just bomb the ball everytime we got it? Why no passing?

Why did we revert to having one player in the forward line again. WHY do we always do this when things go bad? It's never got us out of a mess?

WHy when we have no one running ard at clearances, no one fighting do we leave Sherman as a sub until half way through the third quarter?

Where was our desire? intensity?

We we're coached terribly and out players were insipid. It's gonna be a long long season if we serve this up each week.

I want to see the following get runs in our teams:

Roughead - Could be an elite ruck men but he also can take a mark and kick a goal up forward, exactly what we need, need him in our 21 asap.

Skinner - Something different! We have so many a-like players this guy will give us a whole new dimension in the forward line, play him!

Addison - Someone who can play in our forward line and tackle someone, can tag the running half backs as well.

Gilbee - Clearly missed his decisions out of the back line and his experienced, need him fit.

Vezpremi - Will kick goals and will lead up for the ball, but hard to slot him in because of Gia.

Sherman should have never been the sub. We recruited him to eject some pace (which we lacked again today), how could he make a real stamp on the game in a quarter and a bit.

What's it going to take for Eade to realize we need 2 ruckmen in a game? Tom Williams is not a ruckman, been proven time and time again. Felt sorry for the kid. Minson ain't that great but at least he serves a purpose in the ruck.

Absolutely terrible performance. Could not believe how bad we were after quarter time. We simply didn't want it. Schoolboy errors galore and a frightening amount of turnovers.

The amount of times they outnumbered and killed us around the contested ball, had loose players in their forward line...they were treating us with absolute contempt in the second half.

What were we actually trying to do in the 2nd quarter? Kick it to a bloke outnumbered 3 to 1? It was painful.

Players who need to be questioned are innumerable. Higgins, Grant, Griffen, Boyd, Giansiracusa, Jones - I know he's a kid but geez he had a shocker,

Only ones who can hold their head high are Hudson, Picken, Liberatore, Murphy and Ward. Hill for once actually did some good stuff I guess.

Bloody hell, everyone from the coach to the players needs to have their arse kicked today.

They'd better come out breathing fire next week or we're in real strife.

You would like to think so, but you never know.

I don't know what to think at the moment, but we are genuine flat track bullies. We will probably smash the Lions and GC in the next two weeks, but that will mean nought.

Can somebody tell me what exactly was wrong with Roughead? To go in with only one ruckman (Williams is not even a part-timer) was criminal.

Let's hope we don't get too many apologists this week. It might only be round one, but today's effort was pathetic.

This time last year we were thrashed by the eventual premiers, this year, we've been smashed by a team who will probably finish in the lower half of the eight. Woeful.

I'm sick and tired of them, those who have apologised for the last 57 years, I'm sick of a coach who is one dimensional, sick of players who are more worried about there hairstyles than the jumper they wear, sick of a match committee thats continually wrong in selection, sick of those who refuse to follow instructions and put in.

The club is more worried about selling tortilla chips than winning premierships, more interested in getting by than excelling. I know that the usual BF apologists will trash this post, and i will be told to bugger off, but i will be here all season and i'll bet my bottom dollar by rd 15 we will be in crisis mode looking for a new coach.

If anyone in charge at the dogs has any semblance of respectability they will ask for Eade's resignation before the year is a write-off. But off course that wont happen because we like wallowing in our own mediorcity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Match Day thread - Dons vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back