Roast Matt Hass is garbage and the Crows fitness is below AFL standard

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure we're in for a few years of pain even if we replace them.

I'm not so sure. On Wednesday, we did the most anti-AFC thing possible. 4 unforced changes went with 4 forced managements and then when Smith failed to come up, we went with a debutante instead of the much more expected decision to give another lifeline to any of Gibbs, Knight or Atkins. Call me a supreme optimist, I know many do, but I think this could very well have been a Nicks push back against the set in stone selection culture of our club. This is the kind of drastic turnabout that I think Walsh alluded to in his final presser after the GABBA win.

Now, where I have hope, is that if we embrace the rebuild properly, hold senior players to account for their form regardless of the bullshit continuity/experience mantra, we might see progressive improvement over the 2021 & 2022 seasons. I know Melbourne aren't a great side, but we saw for 3 quarters a group of players that had a crack and kept up with an opponent. And this with continuity and experience thrown out the window with a total of 9 changes.

Where the risk exists, is that the coaching group can't be working against prevailing philosophical differences. This is why Fagan, Roo and Chapman must go, so that the key football philosophies of this club can be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. With a fresh new direction, proper fitness manager, even moderately ok assistant coaches, I think we avoid being anchored to the bottom for the next 3 years. Whereas, with no change at the top and the senior coach constantly having to work against club philosophies, all we'll do is spit him out and others out and remain where we presently exist.

Of course, if your definition of pain is failing to deliver against the, " The Club’s primary objective is to deliver consistent finals appearances ", component of our mission statement, then you're probably right. But bottoming out like we have this year and then working back up the ladder driven by with youth is not pain to me. Especially if it results in the club wide changes that need to occur, both in philosophy and personnel.

I'm pretty sure we're in for a few years of pain even if we replace them.

I'm not so sure. On Wednesday, we did the most anti-AFC thing possible. 4 unforced changes went with 4 forced managements and then when Smith failed to come up, we went with a debutante instead of the much more expected decision to give another lifeline to any of Gibbs, Knight or Atkins. Call me a supreme optimist, I know many do, but I think this could very well have been a Nicks push back against the set in stone selection culture of our club. This is the kind of drastic turnabout that I think Walsh alluded to in his final presser after the GABBA win.

Now, where I have hope, is that if we embrace the rebuild properly, hold senior players to account for their form regardless of the bullshit continuity/experience mantra, we might see progressive improvement over the 2021 & 2022 seasons. I know Melbourne aren't a great side, but we saw for 3 quarters a group of players that had a crack and kept up with an opponent. And this with continuity and experience thrown out the window with a total of 9 changes.

Where the risk exists, is that the coaching group can't be working against prevailing philosophical differences. This is why Fagan, Roo and Chapman must go, so that the key football philosophies of this club can be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. With a fresh new direction, proper fitness manager, even moderately ok assistant coaches, I think we avoid being anchored to the bottom for the next 3 years. Whereas, with no change at the top and the senior coach constantly having to work against club philosophies, all we'll do is spit him out and others out and remain where we presently exist.

Of course, if your definition of pain is failing to deliver against the, " The Club’s primary objective is to deliver consistent finals appearances ", component of our mission statement, then you're probably right. But bottoming out like we have this year and then working back up the ladder driven by with youth is not pain to me. Especially if it results in the club wide changes that need to occur, both in philosophy and personnel.

Monday night is the next selection test

I might be wrong but did Matty Bode leave about the same time the "Hamstring Brothers" arrived?
Birdbrain drove out Bode who wanted to stay.

He left because of his perception of there being serious cultural issues that he didn’t want to be a part of.

Teague will be the last for a while to get out and move sideways elsewhere after a period of 'development' in our system. Francou is no fool, it was a blindingly obvious sign of massive problems. Can't recall similar occurring over the last decade or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This didn't age well, whole article is hilarious, starts with referring to Burton as a fitness guru and holds ground the whole way. But the bit about Hass' ascension (below) was obviously the absolute pinnacle of best practice.

FBD089E0-EC17-48A2-8B3F-F71E3FA4E507.png

Best football department in the land.

Hass promoted within a week. Burton had to learn how to be a prick which he absolutely nailed.

This didn't age well, whole article is hilarious, starts with referring to Burton as a fitness guru and holds ground the whole way. But the bit about Hass' ascension (below) was obviously the absolute pinnacle of best practice.

View attachment 931161

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Melbourne Storm’s fitness boss has a very nice background.

We need someone better than what we have. When you look at the 3-4 year players , how many have actually put real muscle on. Berg, Davis etc. We have players like Fog, Tex and MCrouch that I believe do not look fit and have actually slowed down. Was one of the cost cutting initiatives to sell the weights room.l

We need someone better than what we have. When you look at the 3-4 year players , how many have actually put real muscle on. Berg, Davis etc. We have players like Fog, Tex and MCrouch that I believe do not look fit and have actually slowed down. Was one of the cost cutting initiatives to sell the weights room.l
Fog has now had 3 pre seasons and is still running around looking like a chubby teenager.

I wonder whether our current dilemma is more that our players lacked the discipline to do the hard work themselves during the early COVID lockdown. There are quite a few who look off the pace...MCrouch, Tex (and he wanted to play on the wing FFS), Stengle (looks like he's got puppy fat), Fog (as per the above), Lynch - appears to be running on the spot these days and McAdam doesn't look like he can run out a full game. There's niggling injuries of course, and some such as Keays seem to be pretty good, but we definitely look slow and unable to keep up pretty much across the board.

I wonder whether our current dilemma is more that our players lacked the discipline to do the hard work themselves during the early COVID lockdown. There are quite a few who look off the pace...MCrouch, Tex (and he wanted to play on the wing FFS), Stengle (looks like he's got puppy fat), Fog (as per the above), Lynch - appears to be running on the spot these days and McAdam doesn't look like he can run out a full game. There's niggling injuries of course, and some such as Keays seem to be pretty good, but we definitely look slow and unable to keep up pretty much across the board.

Seriously, can you believe there was talk from the club about Tex playing on the wing. Even before the shutdown he was rocking the full Tex physique.

And Himmelburg and Davis and co don't look like they have a muscle on them. Mackay has been there 10 years and does not have a muscle.
How long has the Lions Eric Hipwood been in the system?, just because a player doesn't look like the Michelin Man doesn't mean they lack strength and conditioning......and I'm not pumping up Haas and co's tyres....I think our fitness regime stinks

How long has the Lions Eric Hipwood been in the system?, just because a player doesn't look like the Michelin Man doesn't mean they lack strength and conditioning......and I'm not pumping up Haas and co's tyres....I think our fitness regime stinks
Yep and also consider body types. Some people never develop bulk because their body type just doesn't allow for it. Somebody else mentioned Mackay and he's your bog standard ectomorph. He's not ever going to look bulky no matter how many hours he spends in the gym.

bodytypes.jpg

View attachment 931161
So within 1 week, he went from the Lions Physical Performance Coordinator to General Manager of High Performance at Adelaide.

Talk about climbing the corporate ladder!

Anyone who thinks fitness isn't an issue at our club is a dumb **** who should remove themselves from the gene pool for the good of our species.

On a lighter note, turns out I didn't delete those sack Hass avatars afterall.

QhNpsL1.jpg
P92MJlY.jpg
DoOzmvo.jpg
8joFaEj.jpg

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Matt Hass is garbage and the Crows fitness is below AFL standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back