Matt Rowell future Brownlow Medallist? Or merely overrated? (Poll added)

Rowell's prospects

• He's got the raw talent, can win a future charlie

• Too early

• Will be a good average player

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The misinformation and perception of Tom Mitchell by so many on this board has gotten to a ridiculous level. "Glorified Crouch", "King of the 3m handball", "Stat padder extraordinaire"

You do realise in his last full season, Tom Mitchell had the 6th most kicks in the entire competition (no Essendon player in the top 25) and was 8th for metres gained (how do you manage that if you are all 3m handballs?).

What makes those stats more remarkable is that he is the only inside midfielder up there. The other 'metres gained' players are the likes of Jayden Short, Lachie Whitfield, Jared Polec, Jake Lloyd, Tom Phillips - outside receivers whose sole job it is to gain metres (and not necessarily win the ball).

But Tom Mitchell was also the #1 clearance player in the league and had the second most contested possessions - how's that for stat padding? He was also #1 for effective disposals (which is incredible given the amount of contested ball he wins) and 3rd for inside 50's.

Sure, he ocassionally does the 1-2 handball but Ablett Jnr (and most other top line mids) did the exact same thing at the height of his powers.

The players, the umpires, the media and the experts all recognised him as the best player in the competition (and he finished 3rd in the Coaches votes Despite Clarko being a very deliberate 'vote sharer') but the 'experts' on Bigfooty all know that he is "just a stat padder", "not damaging", "don't need to tag", "all 3M handballs", etc, etc.
It's Bigfooty, who needs evidence when you just say their stats are inflated?

Rowell sort of looks like the bully in a 1980's American High School movie.

6f93261c-70ff-49fe-aa9f-356edb04959d_text.gif

He might be a future brownlow medallist but I don't think he will ever be the best player in the game. I think he ends up a Tom Mitchell level player

Nope. Already showed he has much bigger game impact than Mitchell. Rowell's under age resume was better than any previous draft pick. BOG in just about every big under age game he played. Will exit the game a great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bigfooty is very reactionary, if he is average over the next 3 weeks people will call him a hack. I daresay he will start getting more attention as his GC's best midfielder. I remember Rhys Palmer being compared to Judd after his first season.. didn't turn out so well.

With that said..
IMO his probably already on 8 votes.
Fyfe just did a hammy, Danger has been pretty poor so far and Dusty is out of form. Honestly after 4 rounds he and Neale are probably neck and neck right now. Cripps & Bont have both had 1 outstanding game each and are probably on 3 votes. This is obviously a 17 round season so the winner may only need 22-25 votes. Would say just making AA is a mammoth accomplishment in your first year, let alone a Brownlow. Doubt he wins this year, but this would be the year.

Would it be fair to say Rowell is likely leading the Brownlow count after four rounds? He's had three best on ground performances in a row which should translate to 9 votes.

Has any other player started the 2020 season this well? Maybe Lachie Neale?

He's ****ing brilliant. Sam Walsh was the best young player in years but struggled/s by foot. Rowell is genuinely good by foot, or at least has a good enough footy brain that he picks the best option. Sometimes you just know a kid is special. Bontempelli is the most recent one for me who I just knew was going to be a great from his first year, and even then he took about 10 rounds to play IIRC.

Wow how's all this hate last week for Rowell eh? The bloke has backed it up AGAIN! 3 weeks in a row, 20 touches 2 goals both feet and 7 clearances from 76% TOG the 6th lowest out of 44 players.

Currently in most people's eyes he's polled 6-9 votes in 4 games. Would probably have 30 coaches votes already and most likely be getting Player votes too.

Rowell has it all, can kick both feet, has a strong core which helps him break tackles and stand up in tackles, is a clearance beast, can kick goals, hunger, leadership, is actually pretty quick not one pace like mitchell, crouch, and the best part he's a fantastic humble guy who just likes to play footy.

If you still aren't convince the kid is special then keep your comments to yourself because you're just embarassing yourself.

(If we manages to win the brownlow that will pocket me $8100 this year)

Wow how's all this hate last week for Rowell eh? The bloke has backed it up AGAIN! 3 weeks in a row, 20 touches 2 goals both feet and 7 clearances from 76% TOG the 6th lowest out of 44 players.

Currently in most people's eyes he's polled 6-9 votes in 4 games. Would probably have 30 coaches votes already and most likely be getting Player votes too.

Rowell has it all, can kick both feet, has a strong core which helps him break tackles and stand up in tackles, is a clearance beast, can kick goals, hunger, leadership, is actually pretty quick not one pace like mitchell, crouch, and the best part he's a fantastic humble guy who just likes to play footy.

If you still aren't convince the kid is special then keep your comments to yourself because you're just embarassing yourself.

Tall poppy syndrome/jealously mate. The kids a gun.

Bigfooty is very reactionary, if he is average over the next 3 weeks people will call him a hack. I daresay he will start getting more attention as his GC's best midfielder. I remember Rhys Palmer being compared to Judd after his first season.. didn't turn out so well.

With that said..
IMO his probably already on 8 votes.
Fyfe just did a hammy, Danger has been pretty poor so far and Dusty is out of form. Honestly after 4 rounds he and Neale are probably neck and neck right now. Cripps & Bont have both had 1 outstanding game each and are probably on 3 votes. This is obviously a 17 round season so the winner may only need 22-25 votes. Would say just making AA is a mammoth accomplishment in your first year, let alone a Brownlow. Doubt he wins this year, but this would be the year.
At the time I couldn't see a the Palmer hype all he did was run yeah it was ok but nothing special.

I get the logic but this kid is something else, I think he won't improve on a upward trajectory like Gary abett jnr, but he already is a great footballer with a footballer brain of a seasoned AFL player with massive consistency, he's not the "could be anything type" he's already there, I don't know where his ceiling is but if he even improves by 10% it's massive.

Most exciting prospect since dusty.

I don't see much hate in this thread for Rowell. I think you are imagining things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Rowell future Brownlow Medallist? Or merely overrated? (Poll added)

Back