Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rankine was the 3rd rated player in the comp before his hammy once playing as a full time mid, should continue to be elite for many years to come. There should be continued improvement in Dowling and Taylor, hopefully see Charlie Edwards pushing for games next year too.
The problem is that Nicks isn't playing Taylor and Edwards.

This is why I'm concerned about 2025 because it seems like Nicks clearly isn't thinking about it.

If we're not spending the rest of 2024 developing players with a view to improving our 2025 side then clearly his plan going forward seems to be focused around the same group of players that he continually rotates in and out of the side and just hoping for a better result.

This is why I'm concerned about 2025 because it seems like Nicks clearly isn't thinking about it.

If we're not spending the rest of 2024 developing players with a view to improving our 2025 side then clearly his plan going forward seems to be focused around the same group of players that he continually rotates in and out of the side and just hoping for a better result.
It just continues to tell me how clueless this bloke is

There’s no way he isn’t focused on wins for 2024, he and the clubs priority will be all about taking the pressure off, reducing the noise and justifying his re-signing.

Nicks is such an idiot though he thinks experience is the only way to do it, hasn’t dawned on him that Taylor over Murphy might actually help.

He is truly a ****wit, if you had any doubt the subbing of Nank, after a strong showdown to fit in Smith after claiming he made an impact as the sub against Port with his 2 kick ins.

There’s no way he isn’t focused on wins for 2024, he and the clubs priority will be all about taking the pressure off, reducing the noise and justifying his re-signing.

Nicks is such an idiot though he thinks experience is the only way to do it, hasn’t dawned on him that Taylor over Murphy might actually help.

He is truly a ****wit, if you had any doubt the subbing of Nank, after a strong showdown to fit in Smith after claiming he made an impact as the sub against Port with his 2 kick ins.

I knew Nicks was clueless back in 2022 when he said to Rowie that Laird was an All Australian calibre midfielder despite it being obvious to many at that point that Laird was nothing more than a stat padder who has zero influence on the game.

The only people who rate Laird as an elite mid are those who are deluded and think AFL Fantasy/Supercoach scores and stats are indicative of the calibre of the player.

I knew Nicks was clueless back in 2022 when he said to Rowie that Laird was an All Australian calibre midfielder despite it being obvious to many at that point that Laird was nothing more than a stat padder who has zero influence on the game.

The only people who rate Laird as an elite mid are those who are deluded and think AFL Fantasy/Supercoach scores and stats are indicative of the calibre of the player.
Can’t remember the exact time it dawned on me but reckon it was around the time Hately played well in the middle and then was moved to the wing to make way for Crouch, Crouch then sucked, was dropped, replaced McAdam and ended up on the wing.

Thats just pure genius coaching.

I’m yet to read from one poster, cough cough Wayne, what’s good about Nicks coaching. Just one strength, something positive that justifies his re-signing early.

Can’t remember the exact time it dawned on me but reckon it was around the time Hately played well in the middle and then was moved to the wing to make way for Crouch, Crouch then sucked, was dropped, replaced McAdam and ended up on the wing.

I’m yet to read from one poster, cough cough Wayne, what’s good about Nicks coaching. Just one strength, something positive that justifies his re-signing early.

Admitting he has weaknesses should be pretty easy. We made a big song and dance about prioritising a relationships guy. So we adjusted the loadings for the various factors and accepted lesser in others to max out on relationship. Rudimentary stuff.

Still no response to this? Cmon WaynesWorld19 that’s pretty damming
Nicks approach, taking into account the rest of the team management, is exactly the correct approach

There’s plenty of games remaining ,,,, you’ll see Ryan and Curtin get games

But at this point …. Nicks is taking the correct approach …. you probably won’t understand nor accept the reasons

The common trend throughout the clubs history with non sa based media, is very few media people and footy experts etc actually watch Crows games, through both, lack of live interstate coverage and interest. Without fail, every non sa based media expert before talking about the crows preface their talking points with...'I havent actually watched a lot of their games'

So a lot of pro Nicks commentary coming from interstate is laughable at best and stupid at worst. No doubt on the back of pre-concieved misconceptions formed by poorly researched narratives and 2023 statistics combined with club narratives. Woosha probably thinks aside from Tex the list is full of inexperienced teenagers that almost made finals.

You know how easy it is to tell when a media expert pro Nicks opinion is full of crap? they can't tell you why he is good or they just use a word salad full of cliches and jargon. I dont even know why SA media seek opinions from outside. No one watches our games aside from team we are playing fans which may contain said media personality.
Man seriously your lengthy posts sometimes have good points but cmon. What paid media professional earning hundreds of k per year can’t and isn’t willing to afford Kayo/Fox for the footy season. It’s actually probably included as part of their employment contract.

Therefore answer = none.

Aren’t we already playing the least experienced team per week? Or close to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I will give it a crack:

• at the time, one week into this season, it could be reasonably argued we were on a relatively perfect total rebuild trajectory.
  • last years draw, despite many on here getting confused saying we played 4 games against Kangas and Weagles, was actually one of the hardest draws in the competition.Olsen made that point publicly. No other team played more too 4 teams twice (Pies, Lions and Power top 4 end of minor round, plus GWS based on final top 4). We also had the best winning record against top 4 teams outside of the top 4. And we all know the losses - Pies twice by a few points total, Lions away by a goal, Dees away by less than a goal, Swans at home where we were shafted a top 8 spot). Our form was very good last year against top teams.
  • highest scoring team in the comp last year despite finishing out of the 8. First time that’s happened for decades. This is a huge tick. And attacking, free flowing aggressive footy likely to hold up in finals according o most.,
  • culturally, no sane person can argue Nicks hasn’t turned the shitty culture around. From what he inherited to building a young and inexperienced team (easily bottom quartile for both) that clearly wanted to play for him, were getting “overs” in terms of results and were committing to the footy club like never before. Who did we lose in recent years? Doedee (luckily) and a peripheral McAdam who has done jack shit with Dees. On the other hand we keep signing the interstate youngsters on long term deals like never before - Rachele, Soligo, Worrell etc
  • we successfully trade for 2 of our best ever recruits in Dawson and Rankine. Coach clearly plays a massive role in that.

The club projected out the above and to take the pressure off the young team re-signed early. Whether that’s right or not isn’t what I am addressing above or what you asked to be addressed. Still lots to play out re possible wins triggers in 2024 but again outside the score of your concerns.

Ok I will give it a crack:

• at the time, one week into this season, it could be reasonably argued we were on a relatively perfect total rebuild trajectory.
  • last years draw, despite many on here getting confused saying we played 4 games against Kangas and Weagles, was actually one of the hardest draws in the competition.Olsen made that point publicly. No other team played more too 4 teams twice (Pies, Lions and Power top 4 end of minor round, plus GWS based on final top 4). We also had the best winning record against top 4 teams outside of the top 4. And we all know the losses - Pies twice by a few points total, Lions away by a goal, Dees away by less than a goal, Swans at home where we were shafted a top 8 spot). Our form was very good last year against top teams.
  • highest scoring team in the comp last year despite finishing out of the 8. First time that’s happened for decades. This is a huge tick. And attacking, free flowing aggressive footy likely to hold up in finals according o most.,
  • culturally, no sane person can argue Nicks hasn’t turned the shitty culture around. From what he inherited to building a young and inexperienced team (easily bottom quartile for both) that clearly wanted to play for him, were getting “overs” in terms of results and were committing to the footy club like never before. Who did we lose in recent years? Doedee (luckily) and a peripheral McAdam who has done jack shit with Dees. On the other hand we keep signing the interstate youngsters on long term deals like never before - Rachele, Soligo, Worrell etc
  • we successfully trade for 2 of our best ever recruits in Dawson and Rankine. Coach clearly plays a massive role in that.

The club projected out the above and to take the pressure off the young team re-signed early. Whether that’s right or not isn’t what I am addressing above or what you asked to be addressed. Still lots to play out re possible wins triggers in 2024 but again outside the score of your concerns.
Appreciate the effort but the only strength you’ve outlined is culture. Yes we were the highest scoring team but we also had a great forward line. But even with that forward line we still didn’t make the finals and he turned that strength into a weakness in the first 4 rounds.

He (or his wife) didn't want to move to Adelaide last time, can't imagine that's changed now.

I think he might be past it as a senior coach to be honest, but wouldn't be a bad resource to have on hand in a football department role or a Director of Coaching or that sort of role.
Director of Football
How good would it be if he replaced Roo

Keeps making the same selections and getting the same results and then blames the list as not being good enough

Appreciate the effort but the only strength you’ve outlined is culture. Yes we were the highest scoring team but we also had a great forward line. But even with that forward line we still didn’t make the finals and he turned that strength into a weakness in the first 4 rounds.
What of my above points do you disagree with BEFORE we re-signed Nicks? You agree on culture. You agree on highest scoring team. What about relatively perfect rebuild trajectory at that stage? Or players wanting to play for him (“emptying themself out for the coach” as Buckley said)? What about best performing team against top 4 teams last year - inc numerous unlucky/50-50 losses - combined with one of the hardest draws last year?

Using facts AFTER we re-signed is not the point (eg you illustrating the first 4 weeks of the season to destroy our high scoring game style) as otherwise I would be on the same page as you with lots of this stuff. But you asked why we signed him at a specific point in time and not sure how you disagree with most of the points.

If Buckley or someone or similar calibre is available let’s get em

What of my above points do you disagree with BEFORE we re-signed Nicks? You agree on culture. You agree on highest scoring team. What about relatively perfect rebuild trajectory at that stage? Or players wanting to play for him (“emptying themself out for the coach” as Buckley said)? What about best performing team against top 4 teams last year - inc numerous unlucky/50-50 losses - combined with one of the hardest draws last year?

Using facts AFTER we re-signed is not the point (eg you illustrating the first 4 weeks of the season to destroy our high scoring game style) as otherwise I would be on the same page as you with lots of this stuff. But you asked why we signed him at a specific point in time and not sure how you disagree with most of the points.

If Buckley or someone or similar calibre is available let’s get em
None of that warranted re-signing him after round 1, I knew all of that at the time and I was of the view we wait and review how the season went. I was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back