Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

CNN: Throughout the book, you share stories of your self-inflicted wounds. In some way it is an anti-self-help book, showing how failure can help in your success. Why write about the failures?

Tyler: I always tell people that success is not the absence of failure, success is persistence through failure. So it does show how failure can help. I mean I think there are a lot of people who are crippled by a failure. Crippled by something that goes wrong in their lives. And we’re crippled by a fear of failure.

Yikes.
Wow

I was going to say that Nicks' speech reminded me of Frontline's Mike Moore who appeared on a television debate.

Picked a few gems from a book of quotations (Triumphantly: "The speech is written") but then bombed

There has to be a correlation here somewhere.
Coaches speeches at the best and fairests this year.
Chris Scott 29 minutes
Chris Fagan 26 minutes
John Longmire 21 minutes
Luke Beverage 20 minutes
Matthew Nicks 4 minutes
Less said, the better!

There has to be a correlation here somewhere.
Coaches speeches at the best and fairests this year.
Chris Scott 29 minutes
Chris Fagan 26 minutes
John Longmire 21 minutes
Luke Beverage 20 minutes
Matthew Nicks 4 minutes

It doesnt take long to blame everyone else but yourself so after 4 minutes he would have had to talk about self reflection and growth in his own coaching.

Oh of course .....Hardwick at RICH, and Paul Roos at MELB .....both Clubs were engrained losers with poor cultures

Many Clubs have rebuilt from bottom up ......HAW, and WCE great examples ....NORTH are the best, because they just keep repeating rebuilds & staying bottom
When did WCE rebuild from the bottom up?

there was that early 2000 period when they god judd pick 1. They were a basket case but that may have been more the coach.
From memory Judd went at 3

They had a couple of down years as they transitioned from their premiership group of the mid 90's to the premiership group of the mid 00's

I'd never really thought of that as a complete rebuild though

From memory Judd went at 3

They had a couple of down years as they transitioned from their premiership group of the mid 90's to the premiership group of the mid 00's

I'd never really thought of that as a complete rebuild though

the West Coast sides of the early to mid 90s was one of the great sides of that era. Stars on every line. So they had to transition out of that at some stage and without looking up the stats and exact details, it is definitely more than likely they went through a huge transition of playing younger players as the premiership players were moved on. So in a way, it would have been a pretty solid rebuild.

We are currently in a situation where you can either look at it as glass half-full or half empty.
Mate, the "glass" is 36% full and 64% empty, there's half-half about it.
You can look at it as a painful 7 years in the wilderness of bleakness or I like to see it as 1 bad season out of the past 4.
John, it's THREE bad seasons out of the past 4. 15th, 14th, 10th, 15th remember?
And 10th was nothing to Crow about.
Neither perspective is really right or wrong,
Yep.
but what matters now is how we go in 2025.
... and just forget about how bad Nicks has been ....?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... and just forget about how bad Nicks has been ....?
But but its going to happen this time

giphy.gif

So having a quiet beer with a footy mate over the weekend, we turn to the Matthew Nicks topic. It meanders on as a discussion which ended with him posing a question to me.

"Would you swap Nicks for Kane Cornes as coach right now?"

After laughing... I had to stop and think.

What would you have answered?

So having a quiet beer with a footy mate over the weekend, we turn to the Matthew Nicks topic. It meanders on as a discussion which ended with him posing a question to me.

Avoid Season 2 GIF by PBS

Would love to see it.

Swap Nicks for Cornes using a magic machine

Immediately sack Cornes because he has no experience. No one complains because it's obvious he shouldn't be coaching.

Hire new coach. Win.

Luke Darcy & Nicks on the same podcast…

View attachment 2136392

Imagine the amount of obnoxious self-aggrandising “love the way you go about it” garbage those two would spout spending 30 minutes with each other. Actual would rather pull a double Vincent van Gogh than listen to that.
Would be plenty of “say that again” Matthew?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back