Maxwell ankle injury

Remove this Banner Ad

He refused to go to hospital, and will apparently do recovery tomorrow. Word is it was just a rolled ankle.

I hope he didn't refuse the medical staff directly, way to important to blow off their advice, best to double check especially when its this early in the season.

Oh dear some of you people are precious. He's a premiership captain and a Collingwood premiership captain at the, so that makes him a criminal in some eyes.

He's a very good ordinary player who has the capacity to inspire those around him. Not a star but a very good leader.

End of story.

I actually think he is a pretty good player. I always thought he was a bit of a Tom Harley taking strong marks with the same kind of ground play.

Maligned in my eyes when he plays his sweeping role to a high standard.

He'll one day make it into Collingwood's hall of fame due almost entirely to being a premiership captain. I think that's about as far as off field accolades will go from here on out.

For instance I think he's only ever finished top 5 in our B&F once. Admittedly though he has been at the club in an era when we've played in 5 Gf's and a further 2 prelims so he's had some stiff competition.

So yes he has achieved a bit but in the overall scheme of things if he wasn't such a brilliant leader he'd be battling to get a game. Fingers crossed he's ok for round one because we'll need his leadership against the Hawks.
I see what you're trying to say there but I disagree with that bit. Everyone knows Maxwell is not the most talented player going around when it comes to the pure skills of the game but there's a whole lot more to being a great player and captain than whether or not you execute the skills perfectly. I am in my 50's and I can tell you that for his captaincy and courage alone Maxwell would probably the best captain I've seen at Collingwood. Big call? Sure but I rate his leadership skills far ahead of Bucks because although Bucks had talent to burn he didn't have the courage of Maxwell in his left bootlace and although he could find the ball himself at will he did not bring others into the game the way Nick does.

Yes I know the haters will like to chuckle but you don't get to be captain of Collingwood unless you've got the right qualities and you can rest assured that the Collingwood hierarchy did not appoint him without good reason. In Dennis Commetti's words... "They gave him the number 5 and he's never let it down, not for one second." That maybe defacto praise of Bucks in its own way but I'd have Maxwell ahead of Bucks for the captaincy in my side any day (...as long as I can have Bucks as VC.) :p

Take his leadership abilities out of the equation and would he be in the best 50 players you've seen represent the club?... I'd hazard a guess that the answer's no.

As a club we sometimes elevate our players above where they deserve to be rated and in the case of Maxwell he's just a good ordinary footballer who's gotten as far as he has due mostly to his ability to be a leader of men.

Being the captain of a Premiership team does not make you a legend.

I dont think Maxwell is crap but he's an average player, nothing more. He cops abuse because people like yourself like to overstate his ability and place in the game.

This thread needs more Maxwell

Maxwell_GF10_246a.jpg

There that's better

Take his leadership abilities out of the equation and would he be in the best 50 players you've seen represent the club?... I'd hazard a guess that the answer's no.

As a club we sometimes elevate our players above where they deserve to be rated and in the case of Maxwell he's just a good ordinary footballer who's gotten as far as he has due mostly to his ability to be a leader of men.
Interesting view point. I personally can't see how you can "take his leadership qualities out of the equation." To me every part of what he brings to the club is what constitutes his value as a member of the team. Like I said, I can't remember too many who have brought more in terms of leadership and courage. You might dismiss my comments out of hand but I honestly believe that if I had a team with both he and Bucks in it I would pick Maxwell for captain first.

The biggets issue for a player of Maxwells ability along with a lot of other players of similar ability. Is that if he is off his game by even 10% for what ever reason they become almost a liability. Its harsh but true.

The biggets issue for a player of Maxwells ability along with a lot of other players of similar ability. Is that if he is off his game by even 10% for what ever reason they become almost a liability. Its harsh but true.
What would a Saints supporter in Demon clothing know anyway? I'd suggest that if you haven't even got the courage to wear your own team's colours online then your opinions are not really worth giving much thought to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's true though, he was coming off that Nab Cup injury at the start of last year and was more of a hindrance than a help to Collingwood, carried along by his team simply because he was the captain and he had to play.

He needed far more recovery time than he got if he wanted to play effectively, and I still think if Pendlebury was the captain this year he'd get less gametime than if he was captain.

It's true though, he was coming off that Nab Cup injury at the start of last year and was more of a hindrance than a help to Collingwood, carried along by his team simply because he was the captain and he had to play.

He needed far more recovery time than he got if he wanted to play effectively, and I still think if Pendlebury was the captain this year he'd get less gametime than if he was captain.
Sorry but I can't agree with that. While he was not at his best there's no way I'd describe him as a hindrance. His work off the ball and his leadership more than made up for any slight form lapse and I would nearly have him in on one leg. Whether or not he would get a game if he wasn't captain is irrelevant to me. The fact is that he is captain and with that in his repertoire he's almost always worth having in the side for his leadership alone. If the truth be known I reckon Pendles may one day make a good captain but right now there's nobody in our side that I believe could do a better job than Maxwell.

Oh my god! Are you still too embarrased to show your true allegiance? :eek:

2010 is a fair while ago now and most Saints supporters have managed to move on. Clearly not you! As TheLip said, your opinions, stated under the guise of a Melbourne supporter hardly carry weight. Please, move on from 2010 and start supporting your club rather than picking on anything to do with Collingwood. :confused:

Sorry but I can't agree with that. While he was not at his best there's no way I'd describe him as a hindrance. His work off the ball and his leadership more than made up for any slight form lapse and I would nearly have him in on one leg. Whether or not he would get a game if he wasn't captain is irrelevant to me. The fact is that he is captain and with that in his repertoire he's almost always worth having in the side for his leadership alone. If the truth be known I reckon Pendles may one day make a good captain but right now there's nobody in our side that I believe could do a better job than Maxwell.

Sorry, if he was a great leader he would have stepped a side in the best interests of the side. He clearly wasnt in the best 22 on form with Goldsack clearly being the better option. Must have created a division amongst the team having a bloke get a game that certainly wasnt warranted.

Sorry, if he was a great leader he would have stepped a side in the best interests of the side. He clearly wasnt in the best 22 on form with Goldsack clearly being the better option. Must have created a division amongst the team having a bloke get a game that certainly wasnt warranted.
He still has won the premiership against your precious saints and it has obviously hurt you so much, that you had to pretend to support the demons and all you do is post about how much you hate Collingwood. It's pretty sad man I think you need help.

He still has won the premiership against your precious saints and it has obviously hurt you so much, that you had to pretend to support the demons and all you do is post about how much you hate Collingwood. It's pretty sad man I think you need help.

Clearly you agree with my post as all youve done is attack me rather than the topic. A lot of children do that when they cant handle the truth.

Must ave created a division amongst the team having a bloke get a game that certainly wasnt warranted.
It must have because they always looked so disorganised in beating every team bar 1 last year and the lack of harmony this year has been so obvious.

Either that or his players like and respect him and want to play with and for him.

Hard to know which it is given results.

Clearly you agree with my post as all youve done is attack me rather than the topic. A lot of children do that when they cant handle the truth.
Most people who say they support a team actually write posts about their team. ( I mean for a supposedly Demons man I would have expected a comment on the passing of Jim Stynes this week) Not obsessively crapping about how much they hate another.

There doesn't seem to be a single topic on Collingwood on the main board that can go unnoticed from your pathetic obsessive opinions. You made up a bullshit troll about Ben Reid going to Sydney earlier on, it's obvious how much your obsession of Collingwood is chewing you up inside. Why not turn that obsession into something more healthy. Try here --> http://membership.collingwoodfc.com.au

It isn't really fair to say "without/disregarding his leadership qualities, he wouldn't make the best 22 at Collingwood". He has developed these leadership skills the same as any player develops a skill-set for a role in AFL. They can't just be disregarded. Having said that, he is clearly a fairly average footballer in most areas, and those suggesting he will be remembered as a legend of the game, get your hand off it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maxwell ankle injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back