Remove this Banner Ad

Klaus

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Heat
I know it's only one game, however tonight showed how important Macca is to our club and how damaging he can be as a forward/ruckman. His ability to read the flight of the ball is outstanding, he will often drop into the hole and take important marks at crucial times. I'm a fan.

Hale has been horrendous this year, age has really caught up with him and his follow up efforts have been almost non-existent. I was really disappointed he wasn't dropped after Macca kicked 5 in the VFL, he hadn't really done anything impressive to keep his spot in the team.

I'm a huge Ceglar fan, what a terrific bargain basement pick-up he's proved to be. I'd love to see Ceglar and Hale rotating between Ruck and Forward for the rest of the season.

McEvoy has been good all year, except in his injury games, whereas Hale has been dead weight (sorry David) for the last two months. Replacing Hale at the moment is a no-brainer that automatically improves the side significantly.

:)

At his best Hale is a very important player for us. His problem at the moment is Ceglar and McEvoy are simply playing better.

Very nice to have several ruckman pushing for selection for once...

Also timely recruiting picking up McEvoy just as Hale is having a bad year. Sort of like Lake/Schoenmakers in 2013 :eek:

Also timely recruiting picking up McEvoy just as Hale is having a bad year. Sort of like Lake/Schoenmakers in 2013 :eek:

Yeah basically. I'm hoping Hale has a couple of dominant weeks at Box Hill to stake his case for finals, with the way our injuries are going, you never know...

Love Hale but I'd love to see the hawks trade him at the end of the season.would still have a bit of currency - bulldogs, brisbane would love a ruck/resting forward. Dees and even port Adelaide are desperate for a second ruckmen. Lowden still improving and would be the ideal back up in 2015.

Love Hale but I'd love to see the hawks trade him at the end of the season.would still have a bit of currency - bulldogs, brisbane would love a ruck/resting forward. Dees and even port Adelaide are desperate for a second ruckmen. Lowden still improving and would be the ideal back up in 2015.

Hmmmm I doubt he would have that much currency, his age counts against him. McEvoy and Ceglar are definitely the best ruck combo for us now but I'm not prepared to write Haley off yet. It's a nice problem to have!

The ruck positions in our team have long been discussed as being made up of a '#1 ruck' and a '#2 ruck who plays forward'.

I think we're starting to see the making of 2 ruck positions where both ruckman have to be able to play forward as opposed to the #1 ruck just "resting" down there. If they're not able to compete effectively in the ruck and also push forward when needed to kick a couple goals or at the very least front and centre it for the crumbers then there is no longer a position for them.

It's also no longer Ceglar competing for "McEvoy's spot" or "Hale's spot". It's Ceglar, McEvoy and Hale competing for the two ruck spots. There is no ownership and the best performing ruck will get the spot. The way it should be :thumbsu:

The ruck positions in our team have long been discussed as being made up of a '#1 ruck' and a '#2 ruck who plays forward'.

I think we're starting to see the making of 2 ruck positions where both ruckman have to be able to play forward as opposed to the #1 ruck just "resting" down there. If they're not able to compete effectively in the ruck and also push forward when needed to kick a couple goals or at the very least front and centre it for the crumbers then there is no longer a position for them.

It's also no longer Ceglar competing for "McEvoy's spot" or "Hale's spot". It's Ceglar, McEvoy and Hale competing for the two ruck spots. There is no ownership and the best performing ruck will get the spot. The way it should be :thumbsu:

This

What I liked about Big bog and Cegs' game tonight was that they hit the scoreboard.

Hale has too often failed to convert what have been gettable set shots after he has done the hard work and taken the contested mark.

Can't help but think that tonight we have seen the ruck partnership that will hold us in good stead over the next 5 years.....and we still have Lowden up our sleeve.

Great to see that a ruck division that has been one our our traditional weaknesses turn into a strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been wondering for a while now of the overall multiplied impact of various "star" players missing out of key positions.

Some of the guys link up so well together like they know what the other guy is thinking and about to do next.

We really need to drive home our advantage in the ruck over our key rivals, particularly Sydney. Hale is still the best forward of the trio so don't right him off for 2014. If either Ceglar or McEvoy struggle I can see him coming back pretty quickly. I can't see a scenario where all three are in the side. Not something Clarkson would be keen on.

Trading him at the end of the year however may not be a bad idea. We may get a pick in the 30's or 40's for him. Maybe the Roos would take him back?

In a year where a lot has gone wrong, Ceglar's emergence as a genuine AFL standard ruckman has been a godsend.

It's win/win really. Either Ceglar and McEvoy forge ahead for the rest of the season with a partnership that has the potential to serve us well for years to come, or Hale finds the sort of form he showed last September and forces his way back in to the side.

McEvoy is our number 1 ruck option. The second is yet to be decided, but Ceglar's doing very well at the moment. Hale may find it hard to squeeze back in.

I love the fact that Ceglar is making damn sure it's going to be a bloody hard decision to drop him and really, based on form, you simply can't.

The way I look at it, much like McEvoy coming in, our Ruckman are going to have to work hard to stay in the side, and harder to get back in.

Opinion McEvoy needs to be a permanent replacement for Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Back