Media alert #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does seem like a man with his own view on what needs to be done. Yet to be seen if he has the gumption to stay to the course, especially if he has to stare down a few powerful powerbrokers pushing their own agendas. Vlad had his downsides, but he had a healthy amount of c-bomb in him as well and wasn't easily intimidated. A handy asset to have.

There was a little bit of idealistic, doe-eyed naivety to Gill last night. He is obviously not ignorant, but I think he will find out quickly that the CEO does not have the near total level of control over the entire game that he seems to think. A lot of elements of the game are in the hands of commercial entities with contractual protections.

Last edited:
He does seem like a man with his own view on what needs to be done. Yet to be seen if he has the gumption to stay to the course, especially if he has to stare down a few powerful powerbrokers pushing their own agendas. Vlad had his downsides, but he had a healthy amount of c-bomb in him as well and wasn't easily intimidated. A handy asset to have.

There was a little bit of idealistic, doe-eyed naivety to Gill last night. He is obviously not ignorant, but I think he will find out quickly that the CEO does not have the near total level of control over the entire game that he seems to think. A lot of elements of the game are in the hands of commercial entities with contractual protections.

Spot on.

Part of 'Vlad's' success was that he was able to present an image of himself as almost an absolute dictator, when in truth he was trying to balance a whole of heap of stakeholders.

It'll become clear in the next few years just how good Demetriou was at that.

Immediately picking a fight with catering companies at the grounds (re: food and beverage prices) was an interesting first move too. Obviously wants to win the fans over quickly, dispense with the polo playing aristocrat image and make himself look like a man of the people.

Tough fight though considering the way that industry works and the contracts that are in place. I have a family member who works for Michael O'Brien catering and they are a hard nosed company that compete with a real tough edge and scrappy attitude in the marketplace. If Gill has to retreat straight away he is going to look a little silly.

Immediately picking a fight with catering companies at the grounds (re: food and beverage prices) was an interesting first move too. Obviously wants to win the fans over quickly, dispense with the polo playing aristocrat image and make himself look like a man of the people.

Tough fight though considering the way that industry works and the contracts that are in place. I have a family member who works for Michael O'Brien catering and they are a hard nosed company that compete with a real tough edge and scrappy attitude in the marketplace. If Gill has to retreat straight away he is going to look a little silly.

It's all bluff, check out Spotless catering and who's on the board etc, etc - not going to happen. Pardon my cynism and negativity but Gillon, Like Angus and Bob aren't the saviours we have been looking for. His appointment is not good for us IMO, we needed a Brian Cook to take charge rather than one groomed by the incumbents.

That didn't end well for Tiberius.

Martin Leslie on the Coodabeens right now:

Had an interesting anecdote about the early days. Possibly some perspective on everything that's happened lately.

Apparently in the early years of the Bears there were 7 teenaged listed players living together, whose total yearly income was barely $7000. He said you'd go round to their place and all there'd be to eat were cans of beans.

One of the seven was a bloke named Shaun Hart.

Want to help out retention? I reckon get Shaun Hart to fly up from Adelaide and tell the kids a few stories from the past. Perspective is a valuable thing.

Martin Leslie on the Coodabeens right now:

Had an interesting anecdote about the early days. Possibly some perspective on everything that's happened lately.

Apparently in the early years of the Bears there were 7 teenaged listed players living together, whose total yearly income was barely $7000. He said you'd go round to their place and all there'd be to eat were cans of beans.

One of the seven was a bloke named Shaun Hart.

Want to help out retention? I reckon get Shaun Hart to fly up from Adelaide and tell the kids a few stories from the past. Perspective is a valuable thing.
only problem is shaun hart has his hands very full at the moment

only problem is shaun hart has his hands very full at the moment

He's going along pretty nicely.

Geez I hope in the next few years we can convince a few more of the great footy people we've exported to come back and help us out.

He's going along pretty nicely.

Geez I hope in the next few years we can convince a few more of the great footy people we've exported to come back and help us out.
chris johnson would be a good one. not sure what hes doing at the moment, but there was rumours last year he wanted to come back to assist leppa

Absolutely, Shaun Hart and Luke Power would be two guys at the top of my list. Certainly appreciate that you need people with different perspectives and backgrounds etc., but acquiring guys with their character; you couldn't ask for better role models to assist with our young guys settling in to life in Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great coverage by the AFL Game Day panel this morning.

A complete summary of the Lions' content:

Tom Cutler kicked a goal, and the Lions are no good without J Brown.

But at least we now know what David Zaharakis likes to get up to in the off season, which is surely much more important than properly analysing one of six games.:rolleyes:

Did anyone catch Gillon McLachlan on SEN on the weekend? Apparently Vossy put the hard word on him about the Lions are Gillon spoke in a bit of depth about them being one of his most immediate priorities.

Would love to know what he said. Doesn't seem to be available as audio on the SEN website.

I heard Vossy was on one of the shows also got stuck into Marc Murphy, telling him about the time he went to the coach about how he had lost respect for the playing group. Crunch Time? It was mentioned by Anthony Hudson on this week's Superfooty podcast

I heard Vossy was on one of the shows also got stuck into Marc Murphy, telling him about the time he went to the coach about how he had lost respect for the playing group. Crunch Time? It was mentioned by Anthony Hudson on this week's Superfooty podcast
That was brilliant. Said something along the lines of: "I see Murphy working his ass off and nobody following. He should go up to the player and say I'm telling the coach I can't play in the same side as you. You're my mate but it's not happening until you put your head over the ball. Sorry".

Someone then asked if he ever did that when he was captain and his response was an emphatic "oh yeah".

Dat leadership.

Red alert.....Whoop whoop...Red alert.....Whoop whoop...

Tune in to Footy classified...Purple warrior reporting Gill is on his way up to speak to the Brissy Board...

Red alert.....Whoop whoop...Red alert.....Whoop whoop...

Gill at press conference being announced as incoming CEO: "I am accountable to fans, the game's community, its clubs and its players".

Inner monologue of Bob Sharpless: I am accountable to Maha Sinnathamby and um the fans.... maniacal laugh.....maniacal laugh...that reminds me.... Springfield.... Springfield..... Springfield....2000!)

Did anyone else hear Voss telling Gillon McLachlan what needed to be done to aid Brisbane on SEN on Saturday morning? I can't rate Voss anymore highly than I already do, but after listening to him stick it to Gillon on behalf of a club that treated him shabbilly at the end you almost want him as Chairman of the Board immediately because he is across the lot of it. It seems we shafted our only pro to be left with amateurs at the controls. I'm trying to find the audio but it was 1st class.

Yep it was on Crunchtime Saturday 11- 1....SEN normally have edited highlights up on Wednesdays..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back