Expansion Media reaction: SL-NRL expansion vs. AFL two-team expansion plans

Remove this Banner Ad

:confused::eek: Another government funded rectangular stadium and SFS is 20 years old and Souths move out? :p

Maybe if the government extends the light rail network out to Moore Park to assist with both the SCG, SFS and Fox Studios, it may encourage more people to attend the ground. SFS is one of the best grounds to watch Union, League and Soccer from. You are very close to the action. Homebush has nothing on that stadium.

Maybe if the government extends the light rail network out to Moore Park to assist with both the SCG, SFS and Fox Studios, it may encourage more people to attend the ground. SFS is one of the best grounds to watch Union, League and Soccer from. You are very close to the action. Homebush has nothing on that stadium.

Sounds like a better idea.

While we are talking about return on investment, what justification was given for the MCG upgrade? Hundreds of millions spent for what purpose?

FTR (just to get the fact right here) - The MCG upgrade was for the Commmonwealth Games (and beyond, of course) and to replace the 3 aging obselete stands (aged 40, 50 and 80 years respectively).

The Federal Gov't contributed nil (unlike its massive contribution to Homebush)
The Vic State Gov't contributed $93 million
The AFL contributed $155 million
The MCC contributed the balance - $207 million.

But for the new rectangular stadium -

The Vic State Gov't is contributing $275 million so far (but likely to goway over $300 million it appears)
A League / Melboure Victory contribution - nil
NRL - nil
News Ltd Storm contribution - nil, except for favourable comment/bias to the State Labour Gov't in the Herald Sun.

So much for the "Victorian Minister for sport being in the AFL's pocket"!

BTW - For ParraEelsNRL, Collingwood have no involvement in the new stadium. Why would they?? :confused:

OK - continue.

Not sure what your point is. VFL Park was built with footy money IIRC. Not government money.

My point badly made though it was, is that you are referring to the movement of certain league clubs from a purpose built football stadium, with average transport and high overheads to a "multi purpose stadium" with financial incentives.

VFL Park was a purpose built AFL stadium that became dated and was ultimately replaced by a "multi purpose stadium".

I am sure that the same arguments used by fans and opponents of the SFS were used by the fans and opponents of Waverley

It's hard to believe that it took Rugby League in Sydney from 1908 to 1988 (80 years!) before there existed a purpose-built football stadium.

The SCG is the spiritual home of Rugby League football in Sydney because it was the premier Rugby League venue for the first 80 years !!!

Subprime, I think you're forgetting that the logistics of a "multi-purpose" stadium, shared by tenants demanding completely different field layouts on a weekly/fortnightly basis, is ultimately infeasible.
On the odd occasion where a Swans game is scheduled at ANZ Stadium (a "multi-purpose" stadium), an immense amount of time, effort and expense is used to reconfigure the stadium to suit an NRL or Wallabies game the next day, or vica-versa. On a week-to-week basis it is both uneconomical and impractical.

Subprime, I think you're forgetting that the logistics of a "multi-purpose" stadium, shared by tenants demanding completely different field layouts on a weekly/fortnightly basis, is ultimately infeasible.
On the odd occasion where a Swans game is scheduled at ANZ Stadium (a "multi-purpose" stadium), an immense amount of time, effort and expense is used to reconfigure the stadium to suit an NRL or Wallabies game the next day, or vica-versa. On a week-to-week basis it is both uneconomical and impractical.

The CEO of Homebush doesn't think it will be unviable to have West Sydney playing out of there. The article I read didn't mention any complaints about the amount of time, effort and expense needed to reconfigure, it was more like how soon can you get another AFL side here?

If the Titans are left as the only tenant of the GC stadium how viable is that? At least in a multi-purpose set-up they would have had AFL team to share the costs of capital, maintenance etc.

The various bits and pieces associated with moving purpose built stands back and forth on their runners and replacing a few strips of turf can't be anywhere near the cost of missing out on the loss of a long-term tenant forever.

FTR (just to get the fact right here) - The MCG upgrade was for the Commmonwealth Games (and beyond, of course) and to replace the 3 aging obselete stands (aged 40, 50 and 80 years respectively).

The Federal Gov't contributed nil (unlike its massive contribution to Homebush)
The Vic State Gov't contributed $93 million
The AFL contributed $155 million
The MCC contributed the balance - $207 million.

But for the new rectangular stadium -

The Vic State Gov't is contributing $275 million so far (but likely to goway over $300 million it appears)
A League / Melboure Victory contribution - nil
NRL - nil
News Ltd Storm contribution - nil, except for favourable comment/bias to the State Labour Gov't in the Herald Sun.

So much for the "Victorian Minister for sport being in the AFL's pocket"!

BTW - For ParraEelsNRL, Collingwood have no involvement in the new stadium. Why would they?? :confused:

OK - continue.

That's some fine research, Prof. Again silencing certain honchos in the NRL.

The taxpayer-funded east coast "National" Rugby League -- in virtual private ownership -- is happy to use public monies for stadia yet, as has been shown, continue to fail in their obligations in said stadia.

Given its average crowds of 16K largely in two of the most populous states in Oz, the NRL's 'mass popularity' is a News Ltd construct; its OTT coverage in certain media titles based on nothing more than economics in target markets.

RL's a terribly dreadful game; thank god for Australian Football!

VFL Park was a purpose built AFL stadium that became dated and was ultimately replaced by a "multi purpose stadium".

I am sure that the same arguments used by fans and opponents of the SFS were used by the fans and opponents of Waverley

Where's your logic .

Waverley was built by the VFL because they were the only ones prepared to .The government was supposed build a railway line to the oval but renegged , thus removing a lot of support . Also the government forced the VFL to have finals at the MCG . Waverley if followed through would have seated 150k and been magnificent .

The SFS was built purely to derail AFL at the SCG .
It was a poorly executed concept from the beginning .

:mad:

The CEO of Homebush doesn't think it will be unviable to have West Sydney playing out of there. The article I read didn't mention any complaints about the amount of time, effort and expense needed to reconfigure, it was more like how soon can you get another AFL side here?
I was under the impression the Western Sydney side would be playing in that stadium at Blacktown with the odd "big game" at Homebush, I could be wrong...
All be it, the CEO of "Homebush" would be eager to get more clients for his business, realistically though, with potentially 2 NRL games and 1 AFL game played there each week, it will be a logistical nightmare. Dollars vs sense.

If the Titans are left as the only tenant of the GC stadium how viable is that? At least in a multi-purpose set-up they would have had AFL team to share the costs of capital, maintenance etc.

It seems more than likely that they won't be, with the Gold Coast Galaxy seemingly certain to get an A League license in the near future.
I would say with the constant reconfiguration of the stadium and the effect it would have on the turf if it was shared by NRL and AFL teams, lease would actually be higher for both each than if it was simply a purpose-built stadium used by only one.
Also, let's not forget the hassles the Titans had last season wanting extra seating put in the Carrara Stadium with the AFL's "concerns" about the playing surface...

Where's your logic .

Waverley was built by the VFL because they were the only ones prepared to .The government was supposed build a railway line to the oval but renegged , thus removing a lot of support . Also the government forced the VFL to have finals at the MCG . Waverley if followed through would have seated 150k and been magnificent .

From memory John Cain, or the current Victorian premier at the time, was a prominent member of the Melbourne Cricket Club. It was his influence in the government which prevented Waverly from becoming the worlds biggest stadium, because if this occurred it would destroy the prestige of the MCG and thus the MCC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As usual cuz, you are full of it, do you actually know what was at the site before the SFS?

And why would it be built to derail AFL?

Do the Swines play games at the SCG or not?

:rolleyes:

Why was it, don't RU, RL and Soccer deserve a decent stadium around that area to use, or it that area only good for Cricket and a game of AFL every 2 weeks for 12 or so games a year?

I see the NSWRL-ARL-NRL have used it for years to play GF's, Semi finals, plus they have had home teams such as South Sydney, Eastern Suburbs and St George, if anything, it was used more than the SCG was for AFL.

The history of the SCG as a matter of fact has a whole lot more to it than your code does, it will take another hundred years for your mob to catch up.

I was under the impression the Western Sydney side would be playing in that stadium at Blacktown with the odd "big game" at Homebush, I could be wrong...
All be it, the CEO of "Homebush" would be eager to get more clients for his business, realistically though, with potentially 2 NRL games and 1 AFL game played there each week, it will be a logistical nightmare. Dollars vs sense.

It seems more than likely that they won't be, with the Gold Coast Galaxy seemingly certain to get an A League license in the near future.
I would say with the constant reconfiguration of the stadium and the effect it would have on the turf if it was shared by NRL and AFL teams, lease would actually be higher for both each than if it was simply a purpose-built stadium used by only one.
Also, let's not forget the hassles the Titans had last season wanting extra seating put in the Carrara Stadium with the AFL's "concerns" about the playing surface...

Here's the comments from the Homebush honcho:

ANZ Stadium boss Ken Edwards has held discussions with the AFL over their expansion plans.
"We have been briefed on the AFL's long-term ambitions for a second Sydney team and we certainly welcome the plans for a western Sydney team playing home games at the Stadium from 2012,'' Edwards said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23226762-5001023,00.html

As for the GC Galaxy, well a few weeks back they were seemingly certain starters for next season. When the decision had to be made Lowy, Buckley, & Co baulked.

Why?

Here's the comments from the Homebush honcho:

ANZ Stadium boss Ken Edwards has held discussions with the AFL over their expansion plans.
"We have been briefed on the AFL's long-term ambitions for a second Sydney team and we certainly welcome the plans for a western Sydney team playing home games at the Stadium from 2012,'' Edwards said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23226762-5001023,00.html

The sad fact for ANZ Stadium is it's a white elephant. It's design makes it a rubbish venue for watching football codes using a rectangular field. NRL fans hate it and the only reason NRL clubs play games there is because the Stadium management pay them to play there (from memory, the Wests Tigers get $750 000 per season to play a handful of home fixtures there).
The only other thing going for it is it's the only stadium in Sydney with a train station close by and ample public transport and parking. That's it.
So it doesn't surprise me at all that the stadium's management are practically falling over themselves to get an AFL team playing there regularly, they're haemorrhaging money.

As for the GC Galaxy, well a few weeks back they were seemingly certain starters for next season. When the decision had to be made Lowy, Buckley, & Co baulked.

Why?

I have no idea about the goings-on behind closed-doors at FFA. I would say they found the paltry crowd of 36,354 for their grand final along with the 124 000 who watched it on foxtel quite sobering, putting to bed this "second most popular code" nonsense.

The sad fact for ANZ Stadium is it's a white elephant. It's design makes it a rubbish venue for watching football codes using a rectangular field. NRL fans hate it and the only reason NRL clubs play games there is because the Stadium management pay them to play there (from memory, the Wests Tigers get $750 000 per season to play a handful of home fixtures there).
The only other thing going for it is it's the only stadium in Sydney with a train station close by and ample public transport and parking. That's it.
So it doesn't surprise me at all that the stadium's management are practically falling over themselves to get an AFL team playing there regularly, they're haemorrhaging money.

I have no idea about the goings-on behind closed-doors at FFA. I would say they found the paltry crowd of 36,354 for their grand final along with the 124 000 who watched it on foxtel quite sobering, putting to bed this "second most popular code" nonsense.

I hope the new West Sydney side is in line for the $750k pa to play there, it would be most welcome.

On the soccer side of things I find it hard to believe they'll expand prior to their next TV rights deal. I doubt Foxtel will shovel any extra cash their way and the pie just gets sliced thinner.

Astounding really that they announced 2 new sides are in and then 2 weeks later its off.

I hope the new West Sydney side is in line for the $750k pa to play there, it would be most welcome.

On the soccer side of things I find it hard to believe they'll expand prior to their next TV rights deal. I doubt Foxtel will shovel any extra cash their way and the pie just gets sliced thinner.

Astounding really that they announced 2 new sides are in and then 2 weeks later its off.

All they did was defer something which was a rushed decision anyway. Gives everybody (including other cities) time to get there bids in order. It will happen for sure when they said, though I am surprised that they just didn't go straight for a second Melbourne and Sydney side as that is where all the money is which would help fund the smaller regions bids in the future.

do you actually know what was at the site before the SFS?

Part of the SCG ,either practice wickets or carpark and they alsohad to demolish Eastern Suburb's home ground to make way .

So they demolished one crap ground to build another crap ground .
The original capacity was what 35k . The NSWRL GF was only 35k .
Thats crap . If it wasn't for the Olympics Sydney still wouldn't have a decent stadium .

Well , as usual I set you right again .

Part of the SCG ,either practice wickets or carpark and they alsohad to demolish Eastern Suburb's home ground to make way .

Thats crap . If it wasn't for the Olympics Sydney still wouldn't have a decent stadium .

Best stadium for League in Sydney. You have no idea. Rectangle grounds are what are required for League and Soccer, the experience is just not the same in other shaped grounds.

Olympic stadium's only saving grace is that it accomodates a good crowd, otherwise it would be a white elephant.

cuz, you still don't have any idea, the Stadium never had a capacity of 35,000, and it is rated as the best RL stadium in Sydney, and also, what makes you think the Olympic stadium is decent, don't you read anything here? In this thread alone, you have dozens of people saying Homebush is shit, yet you who is in Perth, knows it's not :rolleyes:

And did you ever see the state of the stadium that the chooks used?

Makes Redfern look state of the art.

:)

:eek:
cuz, you still don't have any idea, the Stadium never had a capacity of 35,000, and it is rated as the best RL stadium in Sydney, and also, what makes you think the Olympic stadium is decent.
From a size point of view it's a small stadium and when it was built it was much smaller . Ok it's fine , because of it's smallness for small rl games .
But it's crap if you want to showcase a big game .
OK , maybe it's just right for little rl .

In this thread alone, you have dozens of people saying Homebush is shit, yet you who is in Perth, knows it's
I was living in Sydney when they dug the hole for the SFS .
I've attended Sydney Swans games at Homebush .
It's great for the big games .Not great for little games .
that's the way with all big stadia .
And did you ever see the state of the stadium that the chooks used?
Makes Redfern look state of the art.
Have you been on your home brew again .
Either that or you have a severe short term memory problem .
FFS , I was the one who said it was a crap stadium .
Did I mention I was a Roosters follower . (again)
Don't remember that through the haze do you .

i f

:eek:
From a size point of view it's a small stadium and when it was built it was much smaller . Ok it's fine , because of it's smallness for small rl games .
But it's crap if you want to showcase a big game .
OK , maybe it's just right for little rl .

I was living in Sydney when they dug the hole for the SFS .
I've attended Sydney Swans games at Homebush .
It's great for the big games .Not great for little games .
that's the way with all big stadia .

Have you been on your home brew again .
Either that or you have a severe short term memory problem .
FFS , I was the one who said it was a crap stadium .
Did I mention I was a Roosters follower . (again)
Don't remember that through the haze do you .

i f

You are such I liar, you like the Roosters as much as I like you.

And I haven't brewed any beer in over 2 years since the drought has been around, it would be foolish, and it would taste like shit (have you ever seen what's in the bottom of the dams?)

The SFS holds 45,000, thats a good size for most sports, I can only think of 1 sport in the world with a bigger average and we don't play it very well.

You are such I liar .
What's with you and littledick ? Can't handle the truth ?

you like the Roosters as much as I like you.
I followed the Roosters when Fairfax , Harris and Beetson were around .
When the young cheer squad attended both Eastern Suburbs and East Sydney games . I don't now . rl fans turned me off the game .

The SFS holds 45,000.
Small ground , small game ....small people .

;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Media reaction: SL-NRL expansion vs. AFL two-team expansion plans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back