Expansion Media reaction: SL-NRL expansion vs. AFL two-team expansion plans

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does the correct name of "Australian Rules" offend you so much that you constantly feel the need to rewrite history

The only thing that offends me is the number of times I've had to explain the difference between formal name and colloquial name .
Really littleprick are you really that inanely thick or are you an Aussie Rules
fan trying to make rl fans inordinately thick .
The formal name of the truly Australian Game of football the was designed and developed in Australia for australians to play is Australian Football .
You will find no other variation of the official name .
Now "Aussie Rules" or "footy" are just colloquisms . You'll find me using those
terms when I talk to people . I do use "Australian Football" on the net so there is no confusion , especially with so many rl trolls about saying , football or footy would confuse a lot of people who have much difficulty following
the simplest of ideas (like what is a bonus) at the best of times .

:(

The only thing that offends me is the number of times I've had to explain the difference between formal name and colloquial name .
The formal name of the truly Australian Game of football the was designed and developed in Australia for australians to play is Australian Football .
terms when I talk to people . I do use "Australian Football" on the net so there is no confusion , especially with so many rl trolls about saying , football or footy would confuse a lot of people who have much difficulty following

:(

Just show 'em this beauty, cos:
1958footy.jpg

Seems to have quietened down the big fella :thumbsu:

Now here is the pot calling the kettle black.

You wouldn't refer to rugby league and rugby union as just "rugby" would you?
Refusing to acknowledge the difference.
Infact you wouldn't live in a state that is "inanely thick" as they refuse to tell the difference.:D

One rule for one etc........

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012432,00.html

AFL's native roots a 'seductive myth'

Corrie Perkin | March 22, 2008

LONG-HELD romantic notions - inspired by the sublime skills of modern-day indigenous players - that Australian rules football is directly linked to an ancient ball game played by Aborigines has been debunked in a new official history of the game.

There is no evidence, according to The Australian Game of Football Since 1858, that Marngrook (a Gunditjmara word meaning "game ball"), which was played by local Aborigines and observed by early European settlers, influenced the rules of the new code.

This is despite a view held by some historians and football enthusiasts that William Hammersley, James Thompson, Tom Wills and Tom Smith - the original members of the 1859 Melbourne Rules committee - found inspiration in the game Aborigines played with a ball made of possum skin.

Wills, in particular, is often sentimentally described as a hero who connected Melbourne's young men with the blackfellas' game. A gifted sportsman, Wills's childhood was spent on a remote property in northwest Victoria, where he played with Aboriginal children from a nearby tribe.

This theory gained further credence after the publication of writer and journalist Martin Flanagan's The Call in 1998, which focuses on Wills, his empathy for indigenous people, and his contribution to the national code.

The Australian Game of Football, published this month, describes the indigenous link toAustralian rules as a "seductive myth".

Produced by the AFL to mark the 150th anniversary of Australian rules, it includes an essay by Melbourne historian Gillian Hibbins, which examines the Wills- Marngrook connection.

"Understandably, the appealing idea that Australian football is a truly Australian native game recognising the indigenous people, rather than deriving solely from a colonial dependence upon the British background, has been uncritically embraced and accepted in some places," Hibbins writes. "Sadly, this emotional belief lacks any intellectual credibility."

This week, Hibbins told The Weekend Australian that while many football fans - herself included - would like to believe there was a direct link to indigenous culture, her research proved otherwise.

"It's absolutely highly unlikely," she said.

The argument that Wills was inspired by Marngrook is based on three assertions. The first is that Aborigines played near his childhood home at the northern end of the Grampians mountain range.

Hibbins's extensive research in the area revealed no signs the game was played by the local indigenous community, although there were definite sightings in Port Fairy, about 150km south of the Wills family's Lexington station, as well as around the Melbourne region.

Could the Port Fairy community have transported their ball game north? Unlikely, said Hibbins. "Some Aborigines were playing a form of foot-and-ball, but they were living in different tribes, speaking different languages and dialects. One tribe would hesitate before going into another tribe's territory."

The second assertion - that Wills observed and possibly played the game as a child - is therefore also improbable.

Finally, it has been suggested that Aboriginal football included jumping for the possum-skin ball - an early version of the high mark. As Hibbins points out, high marking is generally considered to be a later development of the 1870s.

The 71-year-old grandmother and respected sports history scholar has relied on primary evidence such as letters, newspaper reports and official records to support her research. She suspects Wills was influenced more by the ball games he learned during his time at the Rugby School in England than by any practice he allegedly observed among Aboriginal communities.

Hibbins, who knows Flanagan and admires his writing, acknowledged football's connection with indigenous Australians was powerful and compelling.

"Because Martin's a good writer and is well promoted, a lot of people read the book and have taken up the idea that Tom was influenced by Aboriginal children," she said.

Hibbins added that the drama of Wills's own story had added to footy folklore. An outstanding young cricketer who played for Victoria in the 1850s and 1860s, Wills was keen to develop a winter sport.

His life ended tragically in 1880 when, aged 44 and an alcoholic, he stabbed himself three times with a pair of scissors.

Hmmmmmmmm

I'm so sick of these history lessons dating back to the 1800's. They go NO-where.

Where is Ronin and Dogs when you need them. This is their field of expertise.

You wouldn't refer to rugby league and rugby union as just "rugby" would you?

Unless it didn't matter .e.g.
Rugby is not as spectacular as the great Australian game of Australian Football .
rl is boring because it's just as series of run/tackle/heel .
RU is boring because of all the stoppages and unending mauls .
That's the correct usuage .

:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoppa's fingers taste nice, do they?

Apparently there's more to this "Marngrook" theory than what the AFL is letting on. Politically, it's recognised as a tricky one in football. Regardless, the AFL is recognised as being strong and proactive in Indigenous issues with the indigenous game.

And no matter what your and the NRL's mate, the discredited 'historian', Sean "I Invent Things To Suit My Agenda" Fagan, think, our game = Australian for football! :thumbsu:

1958footy.jpg

Here is some media reaction to a match played on the last Saturday of September 1858 in Richmond paddock, Melbourne.

(Report from The Herald 27th September 1858 reprinted in The Australian Game of Football pp.33,36):

"About half-past two, the struggle commenced, and continued, with one short intermission, which, by the way, was less agreeable than unexpected, for three hours, when a goal was obtained by the Melbourne men in the manner following:- The ball was kicked in the direction of the convincing poles, and caught in transit by Mr [Thomas] Wray who by the rule of the game was allowed a "free kick". He gave a particularly free one, which resulted in the desired victory."

No sign of an offside rule there.

How does Rugby without an offside rule work again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Media reaction: SL-NRL expansion vs. AFL two-team expansion plans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back