News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Eddie lurches from “I know” to “I think” and back again throughout the discussion. Which one is it Ed?

Says to look at some of the statements made by Fitzpatrick this week then puts one up from June

Bartel cut 5cm off Curtins height saying he’s 190cm and thinks he’s a mid

Split pick 2 so we can get another WA kid like we never draft anyone from interstate (18 of the 44 on our list are from outside WA)

Lloyd sits there with his mouth agape struggling with basic comprehension

Amateur hour as usual

Eddie lurches from “I know” to “I think” and back again throughout the discussion. Which one is it Ed?

Says to look at some of the statements made by Fitzpatrick this week then puts one up from June

Split pick 2 so we can get another WA kid like we never draft anyone from interstate (18 of the 44 on our list are from outside WA)

Amateur hour as usual

Summed it up pretty well.

The panel.

🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

Amateur hour as usual

I don't watch these shows apart from the clips posted in here so maybe I'm seeing something different, but that all seems relatively positive. Basically it's not the end of the world that we lost pick 1 and things are being done to move the club forward. And The West is a joke.

It is very odd that after the Swans game we put out a statement fully backing Simmo, and now with all the speculation there's no similar statement. I reckon Eddie's on the money but we'll see.

On Curtin everything I've read has suggested he could move to the midfield, and Bartel did say 190ish.

Maybe not watching all the time makes me less annoyed but that all seems reasonable to me

Amateur hour as usual
Think youre a bit unfair on Lloyd there. His mouth's probably agape because he cant believe the rest of the stupid shit these blokes dribble.

He's usually the one to try to bring everyone back to reality from the fantasy world they live in.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/west-coast-eagles-engage-trusted-consultant-to-help-find-trevor-nisbett-replacement-c-11693830

West Coast Eagles engage trusted consultant to help find Trevor Nisbett replacement​

West Coast has engaged a trusted and often-used consultant to help find a replacement for long-term chief executive Trevor Nisbett.
Lloyd Smith of international executive search and board consulting firm Gerald Daniels has taken the reins in the hunt for the next CEO to replace Nisbett, who has served in the role since 1999.
Smith headed an independent review to find a replacement for their last chair, Russell Gibbs, late last year.
It is believed Smith has close links to Nisbett.

Smith was contacted by The West Australian for comment on Thursday and did not return calls.
Smith is a director of Gerald Daniels and lists on its website one of his “conversation starters”: “Lloyd is passionate about AFL and particularly proud of his association with West Coast Eagles in the appointment of key executive coaching roles”.
He told The West Australian last August he had assisted the Eagles “quite a few times”.
He also told The West Australian when he was advising on Gibbs’ replacement it was not his job to tell the Eagles who to appoint.
“My job is to be totally dispassionate and independent. That is what I do,” he said.
“You are simply looking at people against selection criteria and the requirements of the role and seeing how people meet those expectations.

“That is for them to decide. The board decides that, not the consultant. It is the role of the board to look at the candidates and make a decision.”
He is believed to have been involved in the selection of several board members going back over a long period.
Nisbett, who has been a director since late 2003, said earlier this month he won’t chase a contract extension beyond next season, and conceded he may not even see out 2024 as Eagles boss.
“My expectation is that I will be here. Whether it’s all of ’24 or part of ’24, only time will tell,” Nisbett told SEN.
“But certainly I haven’t asked for an extension and I won’t be asking for an extension of contract. The steps for us are to sit down as a board at the end of the year and work through what’s in the best interests of the football club.
“That will happen pretty quickly I would think, post-season.”

Nisbett said he was unsure if the club would look internally or externally for his successor.
Current Sydney assistant, former Adelaide coach and Eagles premiership player Don Pyke has been linked with the CEO role.
“We’ve certainly got a couple of people on our executive team who may be interested also in the role,” Nisbett told SEN.
“We’ve got some long-termers here who have done a really good job and there’s likely to be one or two put their hand up.
“Then if the club wants to, they’ll look externally and that will be up to the board.”
The CEO is appointed by the Eagles’ board who are currently voted in by the the club’s owner, the West Australian Football Commission.

Angry fans earlier this year backed calls by by inaugural West Coast coach and former director-general of the Department of Sport and Recreation Ron Alexander for both West Coast and Fremantle members to have the power to elect their club boards.
Alexander said he had no problem with the board selecting the CEO provided it was member elected.
“The CEO should be appointed by a board and chair that is properly elected by its members,” he told The West Australian on Thursday.
“But that is not the case and it probably won’t be the case. So you are left with a situation where there will be wrangling by people behind the scenes to have someone that they are happy with as the CEO.”
The news follows uncertainty over the future of coach Adam Simpson.

Simpson could coach his final West Coast game this weekend when they take on Adelaide at Optus Stadium on Saturday night.
The club’s board is set to make a decision on his future post-season, with pressure mounting for change after just five wins in the past two years in the worst period of on-field results in the club’s history.
More than 200 fans lined the fences at Mineral Resources Park for training on Tuesday, much of the attention was on Simpson, supporters using the day to urge club bosses to let him see out the remainder of his contract, which expires at the end of 2025.
Simpson has asked the board for clarity on whether he will be sacked, or allowed to remain at the helm next season, but the club is adamant that call won’t be made until after this weekend’s clash with Adelaide.

In the wake of West Coast’s stunning upset win over the Western Bulldogs last weekend, The West Australian exclusively revealed on Monday that six of the club’s board members had an early-morning gathering at the home of chair Paul Fitzpatrick.
A petition started by fan Stephen O’Donoghue has 3686 signatures.
O’Donoghue began to rally supporters online on Tuesday and watched it race towards 1000 signatories on the first night, before swelling further.
He plans to put it to the club before Saturday night’s game, where they will farewell club legends Nic Naitanui, Shannon Hurn and Luke Shuey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They only provide recommendations, so they don't pick the specific person.
As far as I've heard previously
They'll say that but In practice the board/exec will only bring them in to give cover for the decisions they want to make.

As a director it helps shield you against accusations of impropriety.

They'll say that but In practice the board/exec will only bring them in to give cover for the decisions they want to make.

As a director it helps shield you against accusations of impropriety.
You cynic you. Having someone assess the candidates, preferred or other wise can also shield you from making a bad decision.

The two most obvious cases of tanking in the AFL were Carlton mid-2000s and Melbourne circa 2010.

Carlton has taken forever to recover and still hasn't tasted, or even got close to, premiership glory.

Melbourne may have won a flag about 10 years later but not with any of the high picks remaining from the tanking era. They had to do another rebuild and rely on an almighty assistance package from the AFL.

takes we wouldn't be seeing if we were still last:

Carlton flog, no surprises he endorses tanking.

And hes talking American sports right? Like the NBA where its such a stain on the comp they have a lottery and brought in the play in to stop teams tanking too early and they still do it. Yeah let's copy that

Most soccer leagues have relegation and no drafts so there's no tanking there

Everyone hates the column but it's seemingly the only one in the VFL media critical of the Tankaroos:

IF ...​

this club wants to be taken seriously ...

THEN ...​

it will do everything it possibly can to beat Gold Coast on Saturday. It's genuinely sad that many attached to this club are celebrating access to a third consecutive No.1 pick in the draft. Only winning will change now hopelessly damaged football operations. And how LDU is unavailable for the final two games of the season because of an injury suffered in a surfing accident is mind-boggling.

Damien Barett: The People's Champion

I've always liked him and his content.

Next up in 3 minutes, why I hate Damien Barrett and his content.
anchorman-emotion.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back