News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a great story for the media that Langer was the one to stand up for Simmo given how his coaching tenure for Australia ended but I highly doubt that's how it actually played out.

It was a unanimous decision and from what Rhino said - it wasn't a particularly tough decision for the board.

It's a great story for the media that Langer was the one to stand up for Simmo given how his coaching tenure for Australia ended but I highly doubt that's how it actually played out.

It was a unanimous decision and from what Rhino said - it wasn't a particularly tough decision for the board.
Yep

Langer would have a fair bit of sway, but there's still 7 other board members.
It suites the media's narrative to say it was all Langer.

I reckon they agreed the cost is too high moreso than Simmo is the right person. If this was the last year of his contract then the board choose to part ways with him.

I hope he gets success. I recall Bomber Thompson being almost gone (Circa 2006) and maybe Dimma too (2015?) and they got backed in and won flags.

AFL trade news: Harley Reid draft latest, Jade Gresham, Sam Flanders, Tarryn Thomas and more​

Melbourne’s likely path to land the No.1 pick has become clearer as three clubs vie for Gold Coast’s top-10 selection. Get the latest trade and contract news in Moneyball.

Jay Clark, Jon Ralph and Glenn McFarlane

Could Melbourne make an audacious play for the No.1 pick to secure Harley Reid by securing Gold Coast’s No.4 draft selection to add to their own No.5 pick?
North Melbourne’s victory over the Suns and Fremantle’s victory over Melbourne ensured the Eagles won the wooden spoon and meant the Suns’ first pick remained at No.4.

The Suns will trade out that no.4 overall pick to secure maximum points for their trio of academy picks.

Melbourne, Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs are all suitors to trade up to No.4.

The Demons not only have their own first-rounder, they have the Dockers first rounder (pick 5) and second-rounder (pick 22) courtesy of the Luke Jackson trade.

The Demons could offer their own first-rounder (currently pick 15), the Dockers second-rounder (23) and their own second-rounder (33) for the Suns for pick four.

It would arm them with picks four and five to trade to the Eagles for pick one, and give the Suns an extra 460 draft points to secure their academy players.

The Demons might ask for a later pick back from the Eagles, but it would allow West Coast two absolutely elite draft picks and the Demons could secure Reid.

North Melbourne still believes it is a chance to trade up to the No.1 pick given it has pick two and seems destined to secure pick 3 as compensation for the departing Ben McKay.

Their advantage is the Eagles would retain pick 2 and could secure the second-best kid in the land, which would allow them to secure local kid Daniel Curtin or one of midfielders Zane Duursma, Colby McKercher or small forward Nick Watson.

The Dogs could offer up their picks 9 and 17 (from the Josh Dunkley trade) for pick 4, which would be an identical amount of points as the Demons range of picks.

Adelaide has pick 10 and two second-rounders linked to Gold Coast and North Melbourne so also has an excellent hand to get up to pick 4 overall.

If North get pick 3 as the McKay compensation then that Melbourne trade becomes pick 1 for picks 5 and 6.

Not good enough for mine.

If the McKay compo is later and it’s truly 1 for 4 and 5, we’d want to be confident that one of McKercher or Curtin would be available, which basically means we’d want to be sure Hawthorn would take either Watson or Duursma.

1 Melbourne - Reid
2 North - Curtin/McKercher
3 Hawthorn - Watson/Duursma
4 West Coast - Curtin/McKercher
5 West Coast - ??

Draft watchers rate Curtin at 5-6 behind Reid, McKercher, Watson, Duursma and occasionally Caddy. While Curtin might be the best KPP prospect in this draft, I don't understand why we'd compromise from taking the very clear #1 talent to taking the #5-6 prospect? Let alone a defender, a position rarely requiring such early draft picks to gain an AFL-grade defender.

Curtin is an exciting prospect, but he's a peg down from Reid. Who knows the next time we will have access to the #1 draft pick, let alone in a draft where the #1 is so unanimously ahead of the rest of the field.

AFL trade news: Harley Reid draft latest, Jade Gresham, Sam Flanders, Tarryn Thomas and more​

Melbourne’s likely path to land the No.1 pick has become clearer as three clubs vie for Gold Coast’s top-10 selection. Get the latest trade and contract news in Moneyball.

Jay Clark, Jon Ralph and Glenn McFarlane

Could Melbourne make an audacious play for the No.1 pick to secure Harley Reid by securing Gold Coast’s No.4 draft selection to add to their own No.5 pick?
North Melbourne’s victory over the Suns and Fremantle’s victory over Melbourne ensured the Eagles won the wooden spoon and meant the Suns’ first pick remained at No.4.

The Suns will trade out that no.4 overall pick to secure maximum points for their trio of academy picks.

Melbourne, Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs are all suitors to trade up to No.4.

The Demons not only have their own first-rounder, they have the Dockers first rounder (pick 5) and second-rounder (pick 22) courtesy of the Luke Jackson trade.

The Demons could offer their own first-rounder (currently pick 15), the Dockers second-rounder (23) and their own second-rounder (33) for the Suns for pick four.

It would arm them with picks four and five to trade to the Eagles for pick one, and give the Suns an extra 460 draft points to secure their academy players.

The Demons might ask for a later pick back from the Eagles, but it would allow West Coast two absolutely elite draft picks and the Demons could secure Reid.

North Melbourne still believes it is a chance to trade up to the No.1 pick given it has pick two and seems destined to secure pick 3 as compensation for the departing Ben McKay.

Their advantage is the Eagles would retain pick 2 and could secure the second-best kid in the land, which would allow them to secure local kid Daniel Curtin or one of midfielders Zane Duursma, Colby McKercher or small forward Nick Watson.

The Dogs could offer up their picks 9 and 17 (from the Josh Dunkley trade) for pick 4, which would be an identical amount of points as the Demons range of picks.

Adelaide has pick 10 and two second-rounders linked to Gold Coast and North Melbourne so also has an excellent hand to get up to pick 4 overall.
Wait, wait, wait... Melbourne give us pick 4 and 5 for a 'generational talent' and we have have to give them somthing back?

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

It still bemuses me that it just seems to be accepted that McKay will give North pick 3 and that narrative doesn’t get questioned when there’s barely anyone on the planet who’d think he’s worth that

I mean it is possible but I wouldn’t have thought it was definite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It still bemuses me that it just seems to be accepted that McKay will give North pick 3 and that narrative doesn’t get questioned when there’s barely anyone on the planet who’d think he’s worth that

I may be conspiratorial here but sometimes I feel the AFL uses their media pals to start putting things out there to gauge reaction

For all this talk of clubs trading for pick 4 to get to Reid, why isn't there speculation that we'll try to trade directly with Gold Coast for the pick?

Surely we have the points they need, and that way we might snag one of McKerch or Curtin and keep Reid.
because that suggestion doesn't get as many outraged clicks on their website as making dumb trade proposals does.

If it was anybody else but North, I reckon it would be laughed at.

But with the Clarkson factor and his undue influence on the AFL and North's soon to be very precarious financial situation, I reckon the AFL will do whatever they can to get them competitive.

They'll probably see it as more palatable than just giving them a pick. In my opinion it's worse. There's meant to be a semblance of formula to the compensation picks.

I may be conspiratorial here but sometimes I feel the AFL uses their media pals to start putting things out there to gauge reaction

📢 Caroline Wilson please report to AFL reception…….. Caroline Wilson to reception 📢

I personally think it is Ludicrous he could be worth that. What the hell makes him worth that?
He's tall and he can kick a little bit I guess. Oh he also occasionally takes more than half a dozen marks in a game.
S-FN-What....... Not worth a top 10 pick, never mind top 3.

Draft watchers rate Curtin at 5-6 behind Reid, McKercher, Watson, Duursma and occasionally Caddy. While Curtin might be the best KPP prospect in this draft, I don't understand why we'd compromise from taking the very clear #1 talent to taking the #5-6 prospect? Let alone a defender, a position rarely requiring such early draft picks to gain an AFL-grade defender.

Curtin is an exciting prospect, but he's a peg down from Reid. Who knows the next time we will have access to the #1 draft pick, let alone in a draft where the #1 is so unanimously ahead of the rest of the field.

Who needs a 'special/generational' player when we can have two vanilla West Aussies. An absolute win, am I right?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back